Reviews for Kirsten's College Try
kirsan chapter 1 . 6/21/2006
Gosh I loved it! Nothing more to say that brilliant!
Dogsbody chapter 1 . 4/26/2006
You did a good job, of getting into Kirsten's showing her pain, grief, anger, and her sense of being doomed.
beachtree chapter 1 . 4/23/2006
What an insightful look into the torrent of swirling issues, emotions and events that Kirsten is juggling and struggling to come to terms with. She can't seem to pinpoint when everything shifted, but she finds herself in the unenviable position of being the lone adult presence in a household that is both undergoing transition and that never recovered from the series of painful assaults it faced last year.

With Ryan and Seth leaving, if only for the weekend, you give us a precurser of what is to come and of what her life will be like all too soon. She's living with someone she no longer recognizes, except for in the context of traits that she previously attributed to her father. She's battling her own demons and is beginning to realize, even before the revelation at the airport, that Ryan is in the midst of confronting so many of his own that she, as Sandy is doing now, has overlooked or ignored. Having her recognize how tenuous his own foundation with them is takes on a new meaning as events unfold.

Sandy's reaction to her news left me a little perplexed. I wasn't sure if he was implying that they wait until after the weekend or if he was alluding that they should withhold such important, life-altering information from someone to whom trust is such an issue. I almost began to detect a complicity on Sandy's part that would explain Theresa's sudden windfall, but that's my imagination at work more than anything. You emphasize their two disparate responses so well and accentuate how the gap between them has greatly widened in a way Kirsten never imagined.

For all the distance in the marriage, there's a real connectivity between Kirsten and Ryan with her protectiveness and attentiveness to his feelings and Ryan's perceptiveness and willingness to confide in her. Although the conditions are distressing, the resulting communication reaffirms a bond that was neglected for too long.

Thanks for sharing such insightful introspection and an unrestricted glimpse into a family on the brink and a person who no longer wants to recognize her husband, has lost her identity and fails to be aware of how desperately her children need her. She's human; she falters, and reverts to the coping mechanism she employed before as she gives in to her weakness. This is such a painful, but accurate portrait as the anger, disgust and futility is externalized and internalized.
bluetoffee chapter 1 . 4/23/2006
that was so good, spot on. yey for arse too!
ChaseII chapter 1 . 4/23/2006
Nice introspective piece from Kirsten's POV. It's interesting how Sandy and Kirsten's roles are switching with respect to the boys, as Sandy grows more and more involved with the Newport Group to the exclusion of anything else. Kirsten's stepped up to fill some of the void his absence causes, but at a cost.

You've captured her inner turmoil beautifully, as she watches the man she loves turning away from everything that's drawn her to him through the years. As she watches him become more and more consumed and absent, reminding her increasingly of Caleb...

The heartbreak and the pressure combine, until she breaks, lashing out at Sandy as he continues down his oblivious path toward destruction of home, marriage, and family. Until she resorts at last to seeking solice in a glass of chardonney.

Poignant, and wrenching, and real. Lovely job, here.

Excellent Kirsten, perfectly in character. Many thanks for this.
princesssparkle88 chapter 1 . 4/23/2006
i thought this fic was absolutely spot on. You wrote it so well. it was great to read, well done and tank you!
shelovesboots chapter 1 . 4/23/2006
Aw! I loved it. Very poignant and really well written.

x Sunny
slinn01 chapter 1 . 4/22/2006
I loved this week's episode as well-for the same reasons-no cooking, no New Match, etc.!

Great piece, I'm so glad you are back and writing! I was wondering where you were the other day! I felt so horrible for Kirsten in this week's episode. Sandy is just being such a jerk. Ah! You captured the episode perfectly!
Ansy Pansy aka Panz chapter 1 . 4/22/2006
Oh my god (sorry I keep saying that) but Seriously. You delivered! You delivered so much. And so quickly. And I am just impressed and awed and bow down to you.

That was just perfect

I could eat it. I just want to fall into your fic.

Gah I can't gush enough. The last line was just mwah!