Reviews for Watching from the Walls
Cressida1 chapter 1 . 2/21/2007
You know, if I had to choose my favorite of all your drabbles, I just might pick this one. It's very powerful and stays in my head long after I read it. The comparisons of Faramir to parts of Gondor are beautiful, heartfelt, and very effective. (swoons) The mix of Denethor's feelings-anger at Faramir's defiance, pride in his achievements, anxiousness for his safety-is just perfect. I really love this drabble!
Rugi chapter 1 . 11/9/2006
Today is my day for going back to stories I read, enjoyed, and selfishly failed to review.

I really love this Denethor drabble. I think it's great how you balance the anger, frustration, and tension which is so obviously present in Denethor and Faramir's relationship at this point while at the same time portraying and honoring the love they have for each other. Perfect. I felt so sad when I thought that Denethor will never really have his chance to speak of his honest affection to Faramir.
Altariel chapter 1 . 6/21/2006
Powerful little piece, particularly the last line. How tragic he doesn't get the chance to tell him what he thinks of him.
TeenTypist chapter 1 . 5/7/2006
Very good. Not a lot of people can capture that much emotion in so few words. Nicely done.
Shandris chapter 1 . 4/25/2006
Beautiful. Especially the comparison of Faramir to Anduin, Ithilien and the White City. Short but meaningful. And quite touching. You showed Denethor as a human being, who truly loved his son. And I agree to it, for I don't think him to be such a terrible father. The only thing which is strange to me is the last line: "Ride, Imrahil..ride..."
Exwhyzed chapter 1 . 4/24/2006
Hi Lilan!

This drabble was really lovely. The impressions and images your words bring to mind are amazing. I can definitely see Denethor thinking this as he watches the sortie from the walls!
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 4/23/2006
A very atmospheric capture Denethor's feelings well.
Nobodyknowsmenow chapter 1 . 4/23/2006
GREATNESS! Lovely drabble!

Denethor is such a complex character- well, all the Hurins are, really...
BadLittleGirl chapter 1 . 4/23/2006
Hey Lilan,

liked that piece a lot. It's very ... memorable. Short sentences, not much excessice, over-dramatic talking about this and that. That makes it incisive indeed, that you feel the tragic of the situation, as one would scream the truth into your face.

I loved this sentence(s)

"My son. Strong as the Anduin, fair as Ithilien, wise as the White City. A pillar of nobility no lesser than the Argonath."

It has a touch of poetry and sounds so very ... important, don't know how to describe, it's a really clear and accurate statement.

The only thing I didn't quite understand was the last sentence with this "Ride, Imrahil...ride..."

I mean, Faramir rides apparently with the people of Dol Amroth (it's really embarrassing that I don't know that, but I can't even remember that it's said he's riding with the "Swan Knights" or is this just your idea?), but Denethor thinks about Faramir, and so I don't really understand this last sentence about Imrahil. Maybe you can explain it to me?

Very well done, Lilan, I love all of your work.