Reviews for Life in Death
inujisan chapter 1 . 7/24/2011
this was beautiful, I love how you interpreted Erik's view of life in music. The hallucinating talk with Daroga/conscience was good too. Truthful, and touching
Sabishi Tomo chapter 1 . 1/3/2011
Beautifully done. I can imagine him dying like this, finally finding some peace. I especially loved how his inner voice was the daroga, teehee :).
hollybridgetpeppermint chapter 1 . 8/13/2010
Oh, my goodness...this is...I can't even begin to describe how amazingly lovely this is...I just...it gave me chills, and that is one of the highest praises I can give...wow...

I love how Erik thinks of everyone as music. It's just...so perfect, and so Erik! I also appreciate your obvious knowledge of the-for lack of a better word-feelings of music...most of the POTO stories I've read don't bring music in except in passing references; you really reminded me how much of the original is made up of music, and how much the absence of music in the story kills it...how much is missing from the other fics, which was suddenly there in yours... (Sorry if I'm a bit overly poetic/entirely incoherent...I've been reading too many stories with Jehan in them, I think... :D Speaking of which, I just reread 'Yet Intrepid,' 'Secrets of the Deep,' and 'Of Love and Lobsters'-they're amazing! Please keep writing the Amis-your characterizations are just...wow.)

Anyway... Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for this absolutely beautiful story! Definitely going on my favorites list!

~hbpm
Peace Like a River chapter 1 . 1/28/2009
“Love, Erik, is more than wanting someone to be with you. Love... is wanting the best for someone else; even if it means that you step into the shadows.”

So true. I'm glad Erik finally learned that, and that he was able to let go of his bitterness towards Christine and Raoul in the end.

And this may come across as a bit morbid, but that was truly a beautiful way to die. Not cold and lonely and bitter, but free.

I really liked the way you described Erik's ability to observe a person and automatically hear music in his head describing them. Flute, trumpets, violins, etc. So creative.

Anyway, this is going directly to my faves list. :-) Loved it.
Bramblefox chapter 1 . 6/25/2008
I have goosebumps running up and down my arms and back. This has to be one of the best PotO stories I have EVER read. EVER. The music analogy was wonderful, his conversation with 'Daroga' deep and meaningful, and his death was peaceful. I applaud your story-writing and hope you never give it up.
Andromakhe chapter 1 . 7/14/2006
Wow. You've captured Erik and the Daroga so wonderfully. The dynamic with those two is perhaps my favorite thing about that book, because Erik loves the daroga in his own strange way. Yes, I'm aware he would have murdered him, and then Erik was half-insane always, but I really think Erik did care about the daroga despite all that. The daroga really does function as his conscience, and it's a great power to have to be able to make Erik feel guilty. I think that if Erik had killed the daroga, he truly would have gone totally mad with remorse. The daroga was the one who kept whatever sanity Erik had in him alive.

Anyway, enough rambling. An excellent character sketch.
elflover47 chapter 1 . 4/30/2006
"The difference is this, my friend: Monsieur de Chagny was willing to give his life for Mademoiselle Daäé, and you were willing to take lives for her.”

I think you really captured the difference in the Phantom's "love" for Christine and Raoul's.
Shandethe Sanders chapter 1 . 4/26/2006
Beautiful. Just beautiful! *wipes away tear* I love how you did this...Erik is perfect in it, I love the way you describe his thoughts. And his assessment of the R/C love is spot-on.

This was by far my favorite line:

BRAVA!

-Meg
Shadow131 chapter 1 . 4/24/2006
Oh my gosh...this was the greatest thing ever. I mean that. But that's probably because of all the music stuff. Like the twelve eight time. I HATE twelve eight time, I really do. And whoot to Raoul being a French horn, French horn's pwn! Anyway, this was fantastic, but I knew it would be, since you're such an amazing author. Know that I favorite it with much love and affection.
AResidentGhost chapter 1 . 4/24/2006
very good descriptions, very engrossing. I liked the images you used, especially the last few you used.

This story made me cry-and that is not necessarily a bad thing, for you made me feel what Erik was going through, and when he felt peace, I could not help but cry.

This is definitely going on my favorite stories list.
Qoheleth chapter 1 . 4/23/2006
Dear Elyse:

Grand, gorgeous, and picaresque in the best PotO tradition, and with something to say to boot. Good work.

Sincerely,