Reviews for The Courtyard
Anon chapter 1 . 1/19/2014
This is a cute little piece, but I find some of the details too modern: Faramir risking Eowyn getting pregnant before making any indication what his intentions are, a ring as a sign of the betrothal, marriage in a romantic place instead of the official court where the occasion would get the necessary diplomatic overtures that come when the Steward of Gondor and the sister of the King of Rohan marry. You're too romantic for me, perhaps.
Jedijen66 chapter 1 . 6/21/2007
aww! i'm so glad! i want a love like that!
Hannah chapter 1 . 10/12/2006
Oh my GOD! This was amazing! I absolutely love it! LOVE IT!

So GOOD!
justawritier chapter 1 . 8/3/2006
sweet.
silverjigsaw chapter 1 . 5/7/2006
"Eowyn, we've been going steady together for a while now. Can I pin you? Will you go to the prom with me?"

...Sorry...that's what this story felt like...but very cute! It made me giggle!
Sarahbarr17 chapter 1 . 4/30/2006
A sweet and charming story which I emjoyed very much, but I'm afraid that a few things did not seem right to me.

1) Eowyn and Faramir would have certainly not slept together before they were married. They live in a culture in which sex before marriage was a complete taboo, especially for people who are high-born. Eowyn was a princess and the loss of her virtue would have led to her disgrace, as well as the loss of any chance of making a respectable marriage. (That's why her brother Eomer is so protective of her... He needs to be.)

Remember that the Numenorians (and their ancestors, the people of Gondor) were particularly pious and had strict religious and moral principles (like Tolkien himself, who was a strict Roman Catholic).

2) Your characters are a bit too familiar with eachother; some of the language feels just a bit too modern.

3) Eowyn trying to take Aragorn away from Arwen? Tear him away from the perfect woman whom he has loved all his life, and who has sacrified so much to be with him? Eowyn is not crazy enough to think that she could do this, and she would not even if she could. It would not only be treason against her Queen but immoral on a more personal level.

Remember, Eowyn has accepted that Aragorn will never care for her long before Arwen's arrival in Gondor as King Elessar's bride. She realises that her feelings for Aragorn were merely the infactuation of a foolish girl.

4) How has Eowyn been able to spend so much time with Faramir? Remeber, she is not even supposed to be in his presence without a chaperone. How is she able to spend months in Gondor when she would be obliged to return to Rohan with her brother? Who is looking after her?

I'm sorry if I seen unkind in my critical comments. I genuinely want to be helpful and I hope I don't seem too picky or hard on you.

I am looking forward to reading your next work!

Love and hugs,

Sarah x
Nobodyknowsmenow chapter 1 . 4/25/2006
SWEETNESS! Oh, but this was great! I really liked it, despite more modern wording...
Blodeuedd chapter 1 . 4/24/2006
Cute and fluffy indeed. Eowyn and Faramir are, deep-down, EVERYone's favorite pairing. Nobody can't like them. It's just impossible. So wise choice.

Your story was, in a word, adorable. Writing a gentle, inoffensive romance seems to come to you quite easily, and I think this is one any reader can enjoy.

However, the dialogue in particular was almost too universally familiar. Eowyn and Faramir are people from another time and culture; their dialogue and behavior should reflect that. Their conversation in this story could be transposed to any time or place, especially the present time. While I prefer those LotR/Silmfics that keep the dialogue snappy and unstilted by flowery "thous" and "thees," characters should stay within themselves and their era.

But overall, a very good and well-rounded story. Judging by your author's note, you're no stranger to Faramir-Eowyn works; I'm absolutely certain the perfect formula will come to you in the very near future, because this was quite an enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing! I'm very glad to have come across this.