Reviews for Checkmate
Me-agaisnt-the-world chapter 29 . 5/11/2008
WEll... can't say I didn't expect this, though it will be hard for Danny back in Amity, poor guy. You portrayed great imagery in this chapter, I got to see everything in my mind's eye. Every well done in deed.

Oh, your question about me continuing my fics... that will happen eventually. I'm in the last 5 weeks of school and need to focus on my finals before focusing on fanfics, but I have still been thinking of them.

I wish you the best of luck on your missonary trip and I shall hopefully have an update for when you come back as a WELCOME BACK present... and perhaps the 1 year aniversary of UP :P Bon Voyage my friend

MATW
Queen S of Randomness 016 chapter 29 . 5/11/2008
whoa...i did NOT expect Danny to just surrender like that! yet another awesome chapter! i hope u update soon! - :)
Aquawyrm chapter 29 . 5/11/2008
So, Vlad thinks Danny was delerious. Well, that's not surprising. I think he is, too.

That was one bad nightmare, though...Danny's power is kinda really scary.
RockMafia93 chapter 29 . 5/11/2008
Who...Danny gave in! This CAN'T be good! SHIT! I hate it when Vlad wins... Or has he?...

-Casey

P.S.-Enjoy your trip Pearl! Don't get eaten by cannibals! Bring bug spray! Don't eat anything that doesn't look like food! LOL...
JH24 chapter 28 . 5/11/2008
Poor Danny, as if living with Vlad without his family and friends isn't bad enough, now his body seems to be working against him as well. I really liked how you showed Danny's thoughts while he sat on the roof in the beginning of the chapter. You've done an awesome job in describing the strange symptoms he was experiencing. I was especially intrigued by Danny experiencing those cold snaps. I can't help but wonder if they are in a way related to Danny obtaining ice powers later in the series.

Another favorite part of mine in this chapter were the scenes in the kitchen. I always love Danny/Vlad interaction and some of their remarks in the beginning were really funny, like for example Danny's "subtle as a flying mallet remark." Great job on portraying their feelings and thoughts. And then suddenly, Danny is hit by another cold snap. I really liked it how Vlad stepped forward and was worried about the boy's wellbeing. And then Danny's unintended energy blast hitting Vlad right in the chest. My compliments on the detailed description, I could really picture this all happening.

I was very happy to read that Jazz could go home again within a few days. I wonder if she will be able to find some clues regarding Danny's disappearance that others could not. Like she said, she is his sister and in certain ways knows him better than others. I do wonder if there is a deeper message in the short moment were Maddie withdrew her hand when Jack comforted her. Jazz did notice it.

As I said before, this chapter was amazing. The last part really got me on the edge of my seat. I'm not really good in conveying my words but you got to believe me that it really made a big impact on me. The pain and agony the boy is going through, the description and effects of his powers devastating the room, Vlad's desperate attempts to get the situation under control, and then in the end, Danny's breakdown, I can't find the right words to express how I felt at that moment. But I'm really, really impressed how you managed to get the emotions right and so unbelievably intense. You are an awesome writer, Pearl84, and this chapter has become, and there were already so many great other chapters before, my absolute favorite so far.

You've done an amazing job, my friend. Thanks for sharing this beautiful story/fanfic with all the fans. I promise to review the next chapter as soon as I can.
PunkMichPhantom chapter 29 . 5/11/2008
I can't believe you did that to Danny... And I thought you were my favorite author... you still are, but I hate you for this chapter! lol. Just kidding, but I can't believe Vlad wou;d still torture Danny by saying, "No, you have to SAY it." That was so mean! But you know, it was a very awesome chapter! Great job! Update as soon as you can in three weeks, lol, plz and thank you!
Nylah chapter 29 . 5/11/2008
No no NO Danny don't do it! Aarrch! *pulls hair out of her head*

I love how you portray Vlad. This is exactly how I picture him, the self justification, the thinking he's acting in Danny's best interest by doing this...

You know, I'm an avid reader, I usually finish a book in less than two days, reading well into the night if necessary... So waiting for three weeks is especially tough on me :( Oh well. I'll live, I suppose.

Wishing you luck,

Nylah
VampireJazzy chapter 29 . 5/11/2008
omg no danny! -cries- i just want to hold him, hug him, and tell him that everything is going to be okay. But it's not. -sobs-

Good luck on your trip. At least you told us instead of making us wonder if your dead. I don't mind he wait.

OMFG this fic is amazing! YOUR amazing! -gives you cookies and love-
Punker88 chapter 29 . 5/10/2008
Hey Pearl, haven't seen you in a while. I haven't been reading lately due to college and finals and summer classes. Sorry! :Anyways, I've read your most recent chapters (Ch26-Ch27). I have to say, I've noticed how much you're progressing as a writer, it's awesome. The details to this story is unbelievable, you've really thought this through.

Danny had lost it completely. I felt so bad for him. But I spazzed when you mentioned Phantom aka Dark Danny. No matter what, Danny's story with Phantom will always remain close to me. And reading stories like yours that include Danny's fear of Phantom just make me so excited. I would even go and speculate that Danny's decision to give himself to Vlad would be because of his fear of turning into Phantom. Sure, there's the aspect of wanting to see his friends and family, but for me, the main reason is all because of fear. I've always had this feeling that Danny would do ANYTHING to not turn into Phantom.

And he did. He sold his soul to the devil (so to speak). Wow, I am so glad I haven't asked you to spoil the ending. (LOL, I can't believe I still remember our deal).

So what would Danny do under Vlad's complete control? I have a feeling he'd do terrible deeds.

Again, awesome job at writing this, Pearl. Hope your mission trip to Honduras goes well. I'll definitely pray for you. Where are you going to be in Honduras? I haven't been there, but my dad does every year.

-punker88
Miriam1 chapter 29 . 5/10/2008
Vlad is horrible!

It is interesting that he views Danny's incident from a perspective of power. There is no question that the sheer power that Danny exhibited is frightening. And it is logical that Vlad wants to get Danny's power under control. More to the point, he wants that power under HIS control.

And Danny is still emotionally crushed and broken. Vlad is beginning to understand that, but he doesn't really care about the details... Danny truly needs to go home. But Vlad really doesn't care.

Danny asking Vlad if he could go home was natural. Vlad's flat denial wasn't something I was expecting. I should have, as he is still the evil bastard I called him last chapter.

Vlad really should ask Danny about his fear and nightmare at some point.

It made me cry to realize exactly Danny was giving to Vlad by giving in. Especially when Danny acknowledged that he was broken.

There isn't one particular line that I would point to, because there were so many lines that moved me to tears. Any number of them would have been sufficient.

And despite ALL that Danny was willing to give up, Vlad had to make it even harder for him - he won't let Danny appear to his family and friends to even give them comfort, or to be comforted by them. Vlad is despicable.

Danny realizes that by giving himself up so completely, he has just sold his soul to the devil, and Vlad still has to make it even harder for him.

Vlad is so smug. His plan is working, so far. There are still ramifications that Vlad hasn't yet considered. Danny's mental stability is far from assured. At this point, Danny will do his best to do what Vlad tells him, because he won't break his word. Unless Vlad tells him to harm people, particularly his family.

I know that there is a piece of this puzzle that Vlad doesn't see. And you will share it with us in due course.

This chapter tore my heart. I hope you're satisfied. I know I am. ;-)

Good luck with your trip to Honduras. Be well, stay safe, and we'll look forward to your return.

Sincerely,

Miriam
Invader Johnny chapter 29 . 5/10/2008
I can say one thing:

VLAD WILL PAY!

The guy is taking pleasure in Dannys current emotional downdall and THAT is not good, although I admit I was surprised that both hybrids got onto an agreement.

Invader Johnny Signing Off.
sciencefreak330 chapter 29 . 5/10/2008
I was not expecting him to actually give in. Now I really want to see where this is going. Have fun in Honduras!
Plain English chapter 29 . 5/10/2008
Great chapter! Vlad is, for lack of a better word, evil, I LOVE IT! :D I hope you have fun on your mission trip!
bloodmoon13 chapter 29 . 5/10/2008
Oh my f* god! Do you realise how much potential art work there is in this one chapter! I better get to work or my brain might just explode!
dessyweird51 chapter 28 . 5/10/2008
Wow. All I can say is that was...wow. I've seen this story on FF but never got around to reading it, now i'm really glad I finally did! Wow. I love how you seem to put the perfect emotion into everything. I've actually felt a tear or two fall down while reading through this far. I can't wait for the next chapter and I'm looking forward to the special clockwork thing you mentioned in the author's notes.

love in Christ