Reviews for Checkmate
bloodmoon13 chapter 29 . 5/10/2008
Oh my f* god! Do you realise how much potential art work there is in this one chapter! I better get to work or my brain might just explode!
dessyweird51 chapter 28 . 5/10/2008
Wow. All I can say is that was...wow. I've seen this story on FF but never got around to reading it, now i'm really glad I finally did! Wow. I love how you seem to put the perfect emotion into everything. I've actually felt a tear or two fall down while reading through this far. I can't wait for the next chapter and I'm looking forward to the special clockwork thing you mentioned in the author's notes.

love in Christ

des
inukagome15 chapter 29 . 5/10/2008
I'm glad you updated. Enjoy your trip to the Honduras.

I kind of expected something like this but I'm also expecting Clockwork's words to play a role in this story. After all, Danny isn't supposed to forget what he really is. He isn't supposed to forget himself. That's what Clockwork's words were about. Sorry, I'm rambling. :P

Anyway, looking forward to the update when you come back!
Ali-Apple chapter 29 . 5/10/2008
I really wasn't suspecting that. It was a good chapter. Please update soon and keep up the good work! :)
xheartkreuzx chapter 29 . 5/10/2008
wow. vlad is so heartless.

another amazing chapter!

good luck on your trip!

hope to hear from you again soon!
KaliAnn chapter 29 . 5/10/2008
this was an amazing chapter! Vlad really is thinking about how powerful danny is and he is trying to figure out how to control Danny's powers. Danny was so sad and despondent and then I was worried when he couldn't get control. But now he fully belongs to Vlad and nothing going to change that. Good luck in Hounduras!
Aclet chapter 29 . 5/10/2008
I really don't know what to tell you Pearl, I think I broke my quota of bowing at you and your work. And this chapter, THIS chapter is what I've been waiting for. I t was just perfect, poor Danny, though this story makes me remember I love the dude. No hating Vladdieh! He's cute, just a bit self-fish, hopes this ends up well. I love how you described this chapter, the scennes the timing were just as they should, the dialogue made me wanted to look away sometimes (It was so darn real!) but that's a compliment you know. I have never felt so connected with a FF like I have done with this one. Next chapter should be interesting, I guess I'll have to wait after three weeks, well I can do that. *Is waiting*

Ok, what else can I say to you, I already gave you a Pulitzer, so, a Nobel in Literature? How about that Vlad Muse you weren't expecting that one!

Loved this way too much *sobs of happiness*

Thanks for writting this Masterpiece!

I'll see you in 3 weeks, 3 weeks without CM, you want me to surrender like Danny T-T

-This is NGG akka Lau saying: I love your story!
Deyinel chapter 29 . 5/10/2008
I'll miss you too, Pearl, and have a nice trip!

OH, GOOD LORD! That chapter gave me chills and I could feel it aching inside me it was so...painful, only in a good way. The emotions were so real. Danny...I never would have imagined you could make his giving in to Vlad be in character but somehow you did. Very well done there. You have this way of writing so clearly I can imagine and picture everything so clearly. And Vlad. I am glad he's still in character. His concern and real care for Danny is blended skillfully with his self-congradulation etcetera.

I want to say more about this chapter, but I really can't find the words. Know it is one of my very favorite chapters so far and moves me in a way I have rarly seen with fan fictions. I will try to bear the time before a nother update comes, perhaps by once again reading all your stories... ;)

Thank you for this chapter, it was one of the hilights of my week!
Shining Zephyr chapter 29 . 5/10/2008
-stares and bursts into hysterical sobs-

Danny... I can't believe this. First you wanted revenge on Vlad, and now this... you're submitting to your archenemy! What's coming over you? I don't know what it is, but it's got to stop! Danny we all really like you, but please don't do this to any of us! -runs out of room-

~

~-glances in- You got Shining into a fit. Man, that's the first I've ever seen her run out on a review and has left me to finish picking up the pieces. Ah, well. I guess I can't expect much more from my authoress.

~Although, I gotta admit- pretty damn powerful stuff you've got going on here, Pearl. I mean it. Danny submitting to Vlad- I have to admit that I did NOT expect the story to come to this. It's worrying me how he's already trying to hold up to Vlad in a situation like this... and you just seem to be adding salt to the open wound. It's amazing. It's jaw-dropping. It's by far and away one of the best stories I've read on this site right now.

~I bow before your greatness, Pearl. Keep up the great work.

~Now, if you excuse me, I have a Miami story to complete and Say No More to continue.~

~Zephyr~
Wolfiremoon chapter 28 . 5/7/2008
Vlad made Danny go crazy i can't wait for what happen's next.

Your's pegasusVladdy
inukagome15 chapter 28 . 5/5/2008
WICKEDLY AWESOME! I love the way you're writing this story and I can't wait until the next chapter.

PLEASE update soon!
Xdon't-mind-meX chapter 28 . 5/5/2008
...I think I'll just sit here in holy silence for the next 3 hours.

PA out
xheartkreuzx chapter 28 . 5/4/2008
ah! holy crap!

that was amazing!

poor danny
Shining Zephyr chapter 28 . 4/29/2008
-takes deep, calming breaths, trying to stop shaking- Oh, my god.

Oh, my god...

-bursts in tears-

What has he done? What has Vlad done? He's broke the young half ghost, that's what he's done. I'm scared. I'm really scared now, Pearl. I don't know what t do. I think you write both of them with such... such emotion and I... -sobs- I don't know any more! I feel so... I don't know how I feel! So much emotion and such tearing through every fiber of my being right now! I can't write like you can! You're simply an inspiration, and I commend you for such a wondrous and fabulous and... -sobs even more- Oh, man, Pearl!

-hugs you and Vlad muse- MORE! MORE! MORE!

~Shiny
Miriam1 chapter 28 . 4/28/2008
This chapter has haunted me all day.

Danny's descent into his mental/emotional breakdown, as well as the complete loss of control of his powers was coming on for a while now, and it finally happened here. I cried when Danny did.

But it happened in stages, and took off far more rapidly after the cage incident. Nicely played.

I find it interesting that after all that Vlad has done to Danny, he finds it a mystery why Danny won't simply give him the benefit of the doubt. In his mind, Danny is simply being stubborn. But Vlad never actually tried to look at the situation from Danny's perspective. Unlike Vlad seems to believe, Danny has NO reason to trust him. And Vlad is oblivious to this fact.

It is interesting that at the tail-end of the loss of control of his powers, Danny's powers hurt him intensely.

All of this happened after one month in confinement, and Vlad is only beginning to entertain the possibility that Danny's problems are stemming from the fact that Danny was forced to come to Vlad against his will.

But it finally dawned on him that something was wrong with Danny before the event happened.

It is ironic (but perhaps entirely useful to your plot) that Jazz is feeling better and coming home at about the same time that Danny is in more trouble and distress than he has ever been before. The sad part is that if she is successful in her hunt for Danny, she may be in a lot more trouble that she bargained for.

But who knows? Maybe, by that time, Vlad will have figured out that the emotional stress of the threat to Jazz's life to Danny's well-being that Vlad will call off the nanobots. Or not. He may have SOME feelings for Danny, but he still is an evil bastard.

Which side of him will prevail? Only you know for sure. However, I think that even Vlad realized that he has done far more damage than even he intended.

It is particularly interesting to watch the details of Danny's descent. It is heart-rending. But the last thing to happen before the complete loss of control is his mind playing tricks on him. He misses his family so very much, and he is terrified of what Vlad can do to him. Only Danny remembers that Vlad helped to create Dark Dan, and Danny's extended incarceration in Vlad's home only helps to drive this point home for Danny: the point that made Danny turn was his grief over the loss of his family. And Danny is keenly feeling the loss of his family.

It is interesting that Vlad actually works hard to try to figure out what is wrong with Danny. It is almost like he actually cares, or at least cares more than he would freely admit, and certainly more than Danny can possibly believe, let alone trust.

Making the ghosts other than the resident ghosts leave was actually a nice touch. It was kinder than I would have expected of Vlad.

It is also interesting that Vlad finally realized that his approach was entirely wrong when Danny chose not to fight back.

Poor Danny! His body and mind is spinning out of his control completely, and he blames himself, his evil side for the massive destruction that his uncontrolled ghost half wrought.

And when it came down to it, the one thing that Vlad has failed to remember through Danny's whole ordeal is that Danny is just a small, terrified fourteen year old who has been tormented, tortured, and forced away from his family and friends. The only person left in Danny's world is a power-crazed adult who only seems (from Danny's perspective at least, if not in actual fact) to only have his destruction, pain, and misery in mind, and this is the person who is offering to "help" Danny. While the offer might this time be genuine, Danny is in too much pain.

Poor Danny. He is in pain, he is frightened, and he is alone. And Vlad has JUST realized what damage he has caused Danny. He has shattered Danny's health and security, in every sense of the word.

I just hope that Danny isn't beyond repair. Perhaps going home might be able to heal him. Perhaps Vlad may figure that out. Or not.

This particular exchange made me cry, and has haunted me all day.

Go a-away. P-Please… don’t hurt me,” Danny pleaded through his sobs.

Vlad’s breathing accelerated after hearing the teen’s plea, and he immediately moved his hand from Danny’s shoulder. He quickly stumbled to his feet, but just stood there, gazing down at the crying child, one of his hands reflexively covering his mouth. He couldn’t believe it. The boy had completely lost it.

“What have I done?” he whispered fearfully.

Poor Danny.

It is entirely his fault that this has happened to Danny. Now what is Vlad going to do about it?

We will have to stay tuned for the next chapter to find out.

Thank you for this chapter.

Sincerely,