Reviews for For Evelyn
mycarcrashheart chapter 1 . 7/17/2008
Nice job! I'm always wondering about Father Dom's past, and you made it seem very realistic. It was a neat touch, adding Pandora's box and Gluttony to the mix. I like stories that have a mythological or folk tale spice to them. I'm glad he hasn't exorcised Jesse, for Suze's sake.
The General G of K chapter 1 . 7/15/2008
Oh, wow, Char. I don't know why I never read this earlier, but now that I FINALLY have, I wish there was some way to distinguish your FAVORITE story of the favorites page, because this piece would certainly take that honor and would remain unmoved.

What wasn't to love about this one-shot? The recall to mythology gave it that slightly fantastical element, and Evelyn was just so pure, innocent, and girly without going overboard, and you really get the sense that this is definitely Father Dom's POV because obviously he would heighten her perfection just the smallest bit because of his love for her. And Father Dom...

Ah, his characterization was just SPOT on, and his dialogue was simply flawless, and this one line in particular: "Not that I was normally dashing or anything..." is the self depricating Dom I love. But then you juxtapose it with the previous line of him calling the cat a "beast" which I also love because Dom totally has some of the best/funniest lines in the Mediator series.

Another thing I particularly enjoyed was how tangible Dom's struggles were. His struggle to remain faithful to both his callings (priesthood and mediatorhoodom), his struggle to resist temptation (i.e. Evelyn), and most of all, his struggle to rise above his own selfish wants in order to do the right thing for the benefit of a larger population. And now I'm just all giddy because I *love* when give these multiple dimensions to minor characters, and Dom has always been my favorite character, but in this piece, you've given him this tangibility, and I can't help but just react with a breaking heart because Father Dominic is like this very human superhero who has all these responsibilities on his shoulder and no one is there to help lighten the load. He always be alone in his struggle to do what is right, and in that way, his calling to righteousness is really the heaviest load he bears.

Finally, that ending, ugh! It just *pounds chest* hit me right in the heart. His "For Evelyn"s just killed me with the simple yet poignant connotations. The ending just hits you, like that moment in life when you realize it's not all fun in games, and the best part of this piece is that the reader FINALLY gets that Father Dominic isn't this Dumbledore/Ben Kenobi leader; he's really just a human with too much responsibility and a lot of perseverance.

Please, if at any time you wish to write another Father Dom POV, do it! This one kicked so much ass, it is unbelievable.

Emily
Satellite Falling chapter 1 . 5/18/2008
Who ho. What a kicker of a write! This was absolutely exceptional. I love the opening with Pandora's box and her kids! Too funny. And the ending, with him watching Jesse and Susannah. Oh, and all the parts in between.

Incredible, absolutely incredible!
Lauren chapter 1 . 2/25/2007
oh my god. I get so emotional when i read your stories. This one is so sad but still beautiful. You have a true gift.
x0x Maddie x0x chapter 1 . 10/21/2006
aw... never seen anything written in father dominic's point of view. this is really good. and original. i was just wondering...can ghosts feel physical pain? cause evelyn felt pain when the "parasite" was trying to dig into her arm. it just struck me as odd. anyway, this was an excellent oneshot. i really liked it.

TG
The Cee Factor chapter 1 . 4/30/2006
*shudders*

Char, you have a gift. A gift to totally scar us for life. I swear, this isn't a bad thing. I just... i've never looked at Father Dominic in that light before. Kind of makes you think. But good one shot anyway.

Sarah
Mariah chapter 1 . 4/26/2006
Oh this is so awesome!

Man. How come I have to be in a competition with entryies like THIS and LOLLY's ONE, AND SHARKYS ONE AND EMILY'S ONE.

I really love it. and i can't remember, was her name evelyn? Im sure it is, but i cant remember where it was said.

I Think this is so awesome, its my favorite entry, AND I DONT HAVE ANYMORE WAYS TO SAY HOW MUCH I LOVE IT!

Except.

There. Ya reckon I got my point across?

Love and airkisses;

Mariah

XXOOXXOO
marieney.pervis chapter 1 . 4/26/2006
Aww! Char, that was beautiful. I'm tearing right now.
seejanewrite88 chapter 1 . 4/26/2006
I really enjoyed this, Char... it was really good. Very original and unique. Very sad, too.
The Dark Shark chapter 1 . 4/25/2006
That was beautiful.

The thing about Pandora and her box was very imaginative. And poor Father D *sniff* You captured his pain perfectly...

P.S. About my Sins story - yeah, I kinda threw the logic out the window with their ages, heh.
Breaking.Benajmin chapter 1 . 4/25/2006
You...you made me cry! I'm all sobby now! And I was in such a good mood...*sniff*

This is wonderful. The love I can feel just radiating of Dom, and then...her dying. And the proposing and disappearing-gah! It made me soo sad.

And I love how you added Father Dom having such strong feelings against Suze and Jesse's relationship as being because of this.

This is beautiful. I love it!

Even if I'm all sniffly now..
brains.and.beauty chapter 1 . 4/25/2006
wow. that was beautiful. and sad...*tear*. i love the Pandora/mythology reference. i always knew learning mythology and doing notecards on every mythological character during freshman year would come in handy someday.
Dannie Tomlinson chapter 1 . 4/25/2006
Oh wow...Amazing, wow...
gerlorie chapter 1 . 4/25/2006
What beautiful writing! I really enjoyed reading this excellent work of fiction.

If I had more time this AM, I'd read it again; but I shall later.

You write beautifully!

gerlorie
LolliliciousLolly chapter 1 . 4/25/2006
clapclapclap.

You know I loved that. It was classy, and it gave us a vivid picture of a Dominic before all of the pain that his priestly status hides. You wrote it very well. I love the concept. It was original, something that a lot of these one-shots lack these days. Pandora...*sigh* I really gotta research what that chick's about someday, don't I?

Eh. It's so much mor depressing when we write stories about characters of the past, since we always know what happens in the future, huh.

Wonderful one-shot. Terribly sad, but wonderful all the same my love.

Lolly.