Reviews for The Bad Man
neptune60 chapter 1 . 6/19/2008
I find it a cop out when the phrase "I had no choice" is used. There is always a choice. Sheppard makes a choice each time he kills. He takes the surest action to secure Atlantis safety, but who knows if his choice to kill was the only choice that would have let to that outcome. But saying I had no choice is just a way of justifying his actions, in this case taking lives.
windscryer chapter 1 . 6/24/2007
Oh, loving the Shep-angst! Poor John! And the way you write makes it so much more poignant! I've read a lot of other stories where the team died and John just sort of shut down and went a little nuts but this one is the best I've seen so far.

Awesome, awesome story! Can't wait to read something else just as good from your *long* list!

Keep writing the great stuff!

Maja
Belisse chapter 1 . 8/29/2006
A bit dark on Shep's part, it started a bit slow but there was something that kept me going and now I'm glad I kept reading. I loved it.

I wish I could have your ability to turn every story into something even the reader feels. I loved Shep's POV after being drugged.

*bows* I love your fics

redick4 chapter 1 . 6/5/2006
Once again my computer decides to fail and I am forced to play catch up with your stories. As usual, you do an excellent job writing about the dark spaces in the characters heads/lives. One minor (and probably nit-picky) correction of sorts. You mentioned you took inspiration from "Behind Blue Eyes" by Limp Bizkit. When I saw the title of the song, I went to Google because I thought I'd misread something. And while Fred D. does this song, the original (and definitive in my opinion) version of the song is by The Who and was written by the brilliant Pete Townsend. You can find it on Who's Next, one of the best albums ever made. If you thought the lyrics rocked for BBE, you should check out "The Song Is Over," "Bargain," and "The Real Me." All by Pete. Like I said, a minor thing, but as fan of the Who I thought props were due.

"...and if I swallow anything evil, put your finger down my throat...and if I shiver please give me a blanket, keep me warm, let me wear your coat..."
Laura-trekkie chapter 1 . 5/13/2006
I loved this look into John's mind. It rang true to his character, how circumstances are changing him and how it worries him that it's getting easier, how he's stepping further and further away from the laidback mask he wears.

It really highlights how relatively naive John was, all the Earthers really, when they first stepped through to the Pegasus Galaxy and how he's had to learn quickly after each threat is revealed by seeming friends. I particularly liked his thought about how the Athosians wouldn't have been helped if they hadn't been met so early on. That really shows how much John's trust has been erroded and his suspiciousness strengthened.

Great story.
Derry chapter 1 . 5/7/2006
Wow! Are you on an intense-fic kick lately or what? But I love it! Really sympathise with John's dilemna - but actually, I think that the thing that saves him from truly becoming a monster is the very fact that he questions himself. I don't think there is any true black & white in this world - only infinite shades of grey. The way John faces the darkness in himself is kinda heroic IMHO. He seems to accept it as necessary for survival, but he doesn't accept is as being simply "right". And he doesn't take the simple out of saying "I'm bad so I won't try to be good anymore". That's another form of cowardice IMHO, simply giving in to the darkness. No, John keeps struggling with it. I love the way you paint that in your fics!
krysalys chapter 1 . 5/5/2006
Wow, this was... fantastic. I'm sure most everyone's noticed how much darker SGA's become sinceit began, and you've mirrored that change perfectly here.

If John ever confesses his concern about how much easier it's become for him to kill, and what it's doing ot him, then I hope the other person(s) tell him that - to question one's humanity means one still has it. There's a quote on the same vein, and a whole helluva lot more eloquent, nut I think you get the drift, hrm? ;)

Absolutely wonderful job on this, hon.

-}-
princessangelwings chapter 1 . 5/3/2006
beautifully crafted, i really feel for john. it would be hard for him to kill people given how much he values life.
T're Urvawi chapter 1 . 5/1/2006
Very nice, well written. Any chance at a continuation?

~T're
Writer117 chapter 1 . 5/1/2006
Mm.m.m... good, good, good story.
TheNaggingCube chapter 1 . 5/1/2006
Bear, you always write such compelling stories... and this one is another winner. The John angst and reflection.. wow.
ga unicorn chapter 1 . 5/1/2006
A wonderful story, as always. You handled the introspection very well, without allowing it to become excessively depressing. Very well done.
Alipeeps chapter 1 . 5/1/2006
Excellent fic. Dark but thought-provoking. An interesting look at Sheppard and very well-written. Loved it. :D
Espiritu chapter 1 . 5/1/2006
Great introspection. Loved it.
Drakcir chapter 1 . 5/1/2006
Damn I wish there was more.

There's nothing I like better than a good Shep whumping angst-fest.

I liked this, and I think it's very true to the character.

Can't wait for your next fic!