Reviews for Charcoal and Feathers
Sailor Pandabear chapter 20 . 12/28/2013
cool
too-much-inspiration chapter 20 . 8/6/2013
Thank you for writing and posting this! It made for an excellent resolution to many of the parts of the series that were never completely resolved, both in the anime and the manga. I especially loved how you worked the romance in, I found it to be a very realistic resolution to that particular plot thread, and tied it up very nicely. I also like how you twisted it around so that instead being a plague to humanity Knives was instead inspiring them to change and improve.
December-the-6th chapter 20 . 4/28/2013
Thanks for this story, i really enjoyed reading it! :) the plot was great and it fit perfectly to the original story. Plus I love your way of wtiting.
I read the saddest chapters listening to weeping willow by sebastien schuller, and almost cried.
cocoa.choco.sprinkles chapter 17 . 12/18/2012
I'm not done! (I forgot some things.)

In Chapter 17, you asked if the readers could see the symbolism of the title and so I'll have a go. I think that everything about the title and that chapter suggests a strong sense of duality-overall, between Knives and Vash. Other ways of looking at it, Knives' gun is more charcoal colored... and Vash's is lighter (although, not feather light... pun). The often used (and probably most central to the story[?]) how from mankind's perspective Vash must be more of an angel and Knives a demon. Charcoal meaning fire and brimstone while the feathers being the wings of angels. But you can take it even further than that. When Rem was reading the famous passage on charity, Vash's and Knives' positions could even be summed up as sensibility verses logic. From either point of view, Vash or Knives could be correct. That being said, there is also internal conflict in both brothers of choosing the right path... and even strength vs. weakness. And that is something that the imagery of charcoal (formed under pressure) and feathers (relatively fragile) truly encompasses.

I also remembered a nit-picky thing. The motivation for Knives to allow Vash to associate with Meryl and Millie the first time was a little unclear to me. Maybe I was speedreading. I feel that if anything was out of character it might be that. How Vash heals better when he is around them? Is it like a less stress thing speeds up the healing process?

And finally finally! The last chapter I would like to humbly submit Elliott Smith's "Independence Day" for when Vash is leaving and saying goodbye; and then "Oh Well, Ok" for the ending lines describing both Vash's and Mery'ls choices and future from that point. I personally feel that in lyrics and in tone; it is a nice companion to your writing.

Phew! (Probably the longest review I've ever written)
cocoa.choco.sprinkles chapter 20 . 12/18/2012
I dislike not setting forth a detailed and deep analysis of people's writing when I review, but these days if I don't do it immediately, then I most likely will never get to it. So, here are the major predominant thoughts upon reading your story.

I really enjoyed it. It provoked an emotional reaction to me especially on chapter 20. (Here's a hint: I cried at the same time as another character). Most of the time while reading, it was really thought provoking. Your conversations between Vash and Knives really get to what I believe is the core of the issues between the two. I didn't feel that it was forced or rehearsed. In fact, it really leaves me with the feeling of what would I do or how do I feel-and I always thought that Trigun in its very nature has a bit of that too. Therefore, I consider it to be highly in character.

The beginning was a little slow for me. I'd say maybe the first five chapters. I think that that isn't necessarily your writing, but a premade expectation on my part. (I knew that Vash was going to eventually end up seeing the insurance girls, so I was waiting for it... albeit impatiently.) I would like to go and reread your whole story but that part in particular to see if now that I know what happens it really is the writing or (as I believe it to be) my own lack of a certain virtue coming out.

I also intend to so that I can specifically say which parts I liked about your interaction with Vash and Knives. I did make a note, though. I thought that Vash's comeback about humans being "creatures of trial and error" was a very good way to phrase it, and I thought over my experiences with humanity and definitely agree. Not everything with us is malice... many times even if we agree that it isn't the right way to do things... we don't yet have a better way. And I think that both Vash and even Knives (if he got introspective) could really relate to that too.

Overall, I thought your pacing (minus the beginning) was really well done. I especially have noted that you don't add anything superfluous to your stories. In fact, it seems like each sentence is carefully crafted to achieve the highest level of understanding and the most impact. That is a very good writing skill to have. They always say to choose the most specific word that you can and also the ones that have the best connotation and even flow (yes, even in prose), and I believe that you did that. I wonder if you spent time especially editing?

I enjoyed your writing and I look forward to rereading it just to reread it and appreciate the subtle details and nuances.

I guess those are the things that made the biggest impact on me. I thought the way that you ended this story was very reminiscent of the anime. It was an open ending, but with some strings tied, and there is an enduring theme of hope.

Oh and finally, this surprised me (because I'm pretty sure I come off as a curmudgeon; even to my own mind), but your author notes were surprisingly not annoying. I know that doesn't sound like a compliment. But normally, I'm not a big fan of ANs. Although, I read them all anyways. lol

Well, that's it. I hope that this wasn't too much of a ramble for you. Sorry about that. And feel free to PM me and ask questions if anything was unclear or if you need more detail than this! ;)
Irene Sharda chapter 20 . 3/23/2010
This was a nice storyline and a solid ending to the tale that leaves room for more if you wanted, and yet can be just fine as is.
Luv4Uncas chapter 20 . 6/5/2009
Amazing one of my top three favorite Trigun stories! I loved it so much! Thanks for it!
TrisakAminawn chapter 20 . 4/6/2009
Yowch. Knives, you brat. Only one chapter of the King James, I see. For some reason, forming a telepathic link with Knives' collective and making it rain plants and reducing Knives to about one-third of a body successfully converted him to harmlessness in the manga ending, but I have to admit there is a certain justice to the proposition that Vash can't make Knives do anything...still, he never hit hard enough.

You wrote a really good story.
TrisakAminawn chapter 17 . 4/6/2009
Vash is /so/ nice. Here is incredibly carelessly-selfish Knives trying to make a spider of him even within their race, and he still doesn't call him on it.

Incidentally, Knives' powers of denial are funny. The plants were bioengineered by humans, right? And if the normal plants are so human in form, and the sports like Vash, Knives, and Tessla so much more so, it's got to have been based on the human genome. Obviously medical ethics got pretty blurred in the last centuries on earth. I bet cloning was at the level of an art form.
TrisakAminawn chapter 14 . 4/6/2009
It's so gentle of Vash not to have taken up Knives' metaphor already and called him a spider. It would certainly give him a stronger position. He always argued with more flair with Wolfwood, although those arguments weren't, after all, so tense. He's not good at love/hate...and I wonder if he would change his conduct if he knew Knives' position on killing him is 'not yet.'

Anime-universe Wolfwood was a Gung-Ho Gun for about eight hours, right? He was Knives' employee for longer, but because they cut his story down.
TrisakAminawn chapter 13 . 4/6/2009
Ah, so weak! Come on, Vash, you could be getting to him a lot more! He's insane, and so relatively immune to reason, but you don't have to let him win every time.

(I assume that three years after finishing this you don't care about the reviews, so I'm not putting in much effort. Just a token.)
TrisakAminawn chapter 11 . 4/6/2009
Gah, I hate their power relations. Knives has been in control ever since he lost his mind, except when Vash fought him. Anyway, you're very good. Found you through .
Knives17 chapter 20 . 4/29/2008
is there even a word to describe this story. its just too good to put down in are definitly in my favs.

ps, read the story "Two Plants and a Girl" by the fanfiction author "Thunk". I think you might like it.
Knives17 chapter 3 . 4/28/2008
i like it
Girl.Interpreted chapter 20 . 2/12/2007
Oh, so sad! But very well written and original. The ending seemed right and made sense. Such a great story.