Reviews for Drops of Rain
skenshingumi chapter 5 . 5/29/2006
Of course, I know who it is. I particularly like the setting. My time in the Japanese Alps is one of my favorite memories.

Poor Soujiro...I'd like to think he gets that cup of tea with Kenshin someday.
skenshingumi chapter 4 . 5/29/2006
I just wrote a review and it got lost to the ether so I'll try again.

I enjoy the way you dug under Yahiko's bratty exterior to capture his deeper feelings. He is quietly observant here, wryly accepting his family in the line, "If it were anyone else, any other pair, I might have wondered whether there was hope for change." Also, like any kid, he finds security and comfort when his family is happy, enjoying Kenshin and Kaoru holding hands.

I found the thoughts about Kaoru’s hair to be verging on overly sentimental but you set it off by underlining that this is an older Yahiko. In any case, the next lines bring him back to earth, admitting to himself that he would never say these thoughts aloud.
skenshingumi chapter 3 . 5/29/2006
I find this quite haunting, especially the way you isolate the four of them to the 'present moments' only and then so cleverly set the piece apart with the vantage point of time in the very next breath. The three girls truly exist in those few moments only as Kenshin is the sole carrier of their existance. The wisdom that "mourning is a luxury that must sometimes be postponed until long after the initial feeling has faded from one’s heart" is certainly one that Kenshin has had to learn many times in his life.
LadyRhiyana chapter 3 . 5/27/2006
The thought of family as an obsession/fascination for Kenshin - that's interesting. Especially because he knew so little of it in his life.

Kasumi taking his mother's place: beautiful.
LadyRhiyana chapter 2 . 5/27/2006
I loved this chapter. The thought of the truth of Battousai passing into mystery and legend, deliberately forgotten - I think Kenshin would find it satisfying, somehow.

The last line was great: "the shadows, as ever, grow longer."
sueb262 chapter 5 . 5/27/2006
What beauty of place in this piece, what depth of emotion and layering of meaning. And let me just tell you this, Mir: a writer as skilled in characterization as you has to work REALLY hard to disguise her character's voices. I knew within the first 3 sentences EXACTLY who this was, and when he spoke, it was an absolute certainty.

Actually, this one reads solidly that I wish it were a prologue to a "wandering years" fic of its own...
sueb262 chapter 4 . 5/26/2006
I guess I can see what you mean when you say it's less cohesive than you'd like, but it certainly makes up for it in the emotional department! I am becoming more and more enamored of Yahiko, of who he really is behind all that brashness and what is going on under that unruly hair, and this is an extremely intimate little incursion into his mind.

The middle paragraph, especially, feels perfectly natural, with his awareness simultaneously both external (the details of his gardening and their overhead conversation) and internal (his keeping of thoughts to himself and his more-like-a-memory-than-an-experience of their rounding the corner hand-in-hand).

I really liked the slight shift in perspective in the final paragraph-the poignancy introduced by "Even now, years after"-and the private warmth of his appreciation of her beauty and of their stability together.

What a beautiful gem of a piece!
sueb262 chapter 3 . 5/25/2006
I've never read a work focusing on these three, which is curious, because he mentions them several times in his life, and they are iconic in the story.

I loved their "constant stream of present moments" and, especially, the idea that "mourning is a luxury". I have personal experience with that, and it is so true.

I support your giving them more than just a day together-it serves no purpose to have their time together so short, and it serves great purpose (as you have so clearly presented) to give them a bit more connection.
older woman chapter 2 . 5/22/2006
I REALLY like this one. Quiet and pensive, it reflects some things I've been thinking as I read through Kido's diary. For most of us, these people are just anime/manga characters, their personalities slanted according to the author's preference. But lots of them were real, and it's fascinating to get to know them as they were. Oops! This probably should have been a PM. Anyway, it was good.
Ranma151773012 chapter 2 . 5/12/2006
You know I love you right? :)

Thanks for writing this. It was good to get my mind working for a while again.
skenshingumi chapter 2 . 5/7/2006
I like the way you have captured Kenshin in a reflective but not guilt-ridden moment. He seems to be thinking in a clear headed and realistic way without being overshadowed by remorse or self pity here. His comments, "We see what we want to see and let our eyes glide across the rest" certainly applies to his next thoughts that, "Few people truly knew the horrors this new era was built upon." His sense of humor and his perspective come across as he imagines how future generations will view his era, as does his uncompromising and not sad self assessment that he will be lost to time, “Recognition is reserved for the architects of the new era, not the destroyers of the previous."

This seems a quiet piece, not exactly happy or sad but accepting. I must admit the last line gave me a slight chill though. “The shadows, as ever, grow longer,” applies as much to the future, to the loss of self to the streams of time, as it does to any the remnants of the past.
sueb262 chapter 2 . 5/6/2006
"the horrors this new era was built on"-"memories too will fade"-"fewer will remember that I was actually flesh and blood"-beautiful, evocative, expressive phrases, and so true! (Okubo being "stolen" tweaked my heart a bit...)

And I love it that you've recast his reveries as future-oriented-really, so much more appropriate for Kenshin's attitudes.

But perhaps the most moving is the last paragraph. His decision, however slow, to move out of stillness and into movement, into life, contrasts poignantly with the lenghthening shadows, especially with the idea that they "ever" lengthen, that it is something he has to deal with always: in spite of his focus on the future, his past will insist on its due.
skenshingumi chapter 1 . 5/6/2006
I don't see many of these drabbles from Sano's perspective. His reflections capture that same sense of lazy charm that is so Sano. I particularly liked that last line.
LadyRhiyana chapter 1 . 5/6/2006
I love the almost tangible atmosphere you've created here, the noises and feels and smells of the place Sano loves. Beautiful.
sueb262 chapter 1 . 5/5/2006
Well, I for one am extremely glad to see you wade into this genre, especially of this is any indication of what you intend to contribute.

This is a colorful, crisp picture of A Moment In The Life Of, and I was pleased to see that I knew immediately that it was Sano! I loved his "most natural thing in the world" reaction to Megumi's arrival, boding, no doubt, either some work or trouble for him, but all "in perfect order".