Reviews for Directors Cut
Agent of the Apothecary chapter 21 . 8/8/2008
I just . . . wow. (You might want to sit down, this is going to be pretty long)

I have to admit that, at first, I wasn't going to read this. Mostly because I can be a bit of an unreasonable bitch when it comes to grammar, and there were a few unnecessary commas and ellipses and sentences that I had to reread in the first chapter, and they threw me off. But I told myself that I had to stop being so anal about things like that - especially with a plot like this stretching out before me.

So I read. And read. And read. And now, a liter of Diet Coke, half a solid chocolate bunny rabbit, and bowl of pasta later, I am so happy that I did.

Well, I don't know if 'happy' is precisely the right word.

Truthfully, I'm like Darcy. I like happy endings. Reading the author's note at the beginning of chapter 20, I almost didn't continue. But I told myself that I owed it to you, and to the plot, to read the original ending. So I read it.

And was completely blown away; bawled my eyes out, in reality. Then I suffered a reversal of emotion: now I didn't want to read the alternate ending. I was so certain that nothing different could properly finish the story. But, once again, I continued.

Now I find myself torn: between the utter perfection and horrible sadness of the first ending, or the happiness and completeness that comes from the second. I think you managed what I've always considered the impossible: created two finishes, both equally fitting, to a story. Personally - in a reversal of fortune, my friends would tell you - I prefer the first. But the second is viable.

So I have to congratulate you on that. On creating Elizabeth Bennett and Fitzwilliam Darcy, just as infallible and lovable as they were in the novel, but simply in a different way.

Thank you.
IcelandGirl812 chapter 21 . 7/29/2008
A happy ending! D

Whatever happened to the sequel you mentioned? It sounded good! I would definitely read it!
IcelandGirl812 chapter 20 . 7/29/2008
You weren't kidding about what you said on your profile about angst. I'm just glad this has an alternate ending that hopefully isn't so sad! Because like Darcy somewhere near the beginning, I'm a slave to happy endings too! And this ending is decidedly not happy! It had me in tears! That's why I don't like non-happy endings! They make me cry! But I have hope the alternate is happy...
IcelandGirl812 chapter 19 . 7/29/2008
Yay! Good riddens to bad rubbish!

Two endings?...Ok...I've never read a fan fiction that actually had two endings...interesting...
IcelandGirl812 chapter 13 . 7/29/2008
I repeat, Lizzy and Mr. Collins? Ew! Is it just me or does this seem to be heading the same direction as the possibly fictitious, possibly real The Framed Rose? 'Cause that's the feeling I'm getting...
IcelandGirl812 chapter 12 . 7/29/2008
WHAT? WHAT? Lizzy and Mr. Collins?
IcelandGirl812 chapter 1 . 7/29/2008
I love this whole idea! It's great! Did you make up the book the movie's based on? I've never heard of it, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist though. There's plenty of books I've never heard of...The only thing I don't like is the quotes you use. (") are much easier to see compared to ('). But this is so great, I'm definitely going to try and get over that!
Elelith chapter 1 . 7/24/2008
archiveidiotjello chapter 20 . 6/24/2008
I have just finished reading all 21 chpaters of this story-including the alternitave ending. I hade to confess, I think I prefer the original ending better. You have portrayed the characters so realisticly and harshly...there is no way this story could've have any other ending...Darcy couldn't have gotten over his depression that easily. But while I respect your story and your writing, and I was intrigued by it every step of the way, I was dissatisfied at the ending. It justs seems natural anything remotely related to Jane Austen sould have a happy ending. Though I do think your story is still beautiful and orginal...

Oh, God. I should just go to bed and stop contradicting myself. Hopefully you'll catch a general gist of what I'm saying.
thesleepyheads chapter 20 . 6/9/2008
Holy fuck...

I won't say I'm disappointed, but it was amazingly sad. You have a spectacular writing style, and I won't be able to get this story out of my head for a long time. Which, in a perverse way, is both a good thing and a bad thing.

I shocked myself by not crying. Seeing Lizzy and Darcy portrayed so coldly and realistically made me think. Jane Austen's novel may well have been critiqued by many as being frivolous and light, but I never minded because I thought that the two main characters deserved a happy ending.

Not everything in the world turns out badly. And while I feel the 'realism' of this story reaches an almost melodramatic peak, my only regret about reading this story is that I will now be up much later than I had intended reading a fanfic that won't give me nightmares, or dreams of my friends dying. Lord knows I've had enough of those to last a lifetime.

You have real talent, and I truly enjoyed this story.
sandstar08 chapter 21 . 4/19/2008
this is the first Austen fanfic I've ever read, and it was a blast!

I love how you managed to modernize the characters but at the same time maintained the tricky balance with keeping them essentially the same.

while I - like Darcy - vastly prefer the happy endings, I thought the original ending was much more powerful and moving.

Bravo! Well done!
Pinery chapter 21 . 4/15/2008
awesome story! l love it, though the first ending is really sad...
awesomefairyfire chapter 6 . 12/22/2007
i must ask you, why is it that the voices of the characters always fade away when finished speaking, instead of ending in a period? it aggravates me, to say the least, though your writing skills hold me captivated, and, if "Pride and Prejudice" was not an exsisting book, i'm quite sure your story would be published within days of the publisher's reading of it! yay for you!
Hazel Maraa chapter 21 . 12/10/2007
Mate, I like a sad ending just as much as the next person, but damn do I prefer the alternative ending! P

Yay for happy endings. -scowl/eyetwitch- I do have to admit to being a little bit...disappointed, I think, to Darcy killing himself. Wow that sentence sounded surreal. O_o. Anyways! Great story;; I loved it. ]]

~Hazel* chapter 21 . 12/9/2007
WOW, I liked the alternative ending better...I'm a sucker for a happy ending. Congrats! Loved it!

321 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »