Reviews for Directors Cut
Dancing on the Edge chapter 21 . 11/9/2008
My goodness, this was certainly an excellent story, I love the passion of the characters, and how realistic you made them. It is difficult to give classic well loved characters flaws, especially characters like Mr Darcy and Elizabeth. I was sincerely overjoyed when Lizzy broke off her engagement with Mr Collins. I loved how the acting peices served as forshadowing for the rest of the story.

As a result of said forshadowing I was not at all surprised when Darcy died in your original ending. It was truly tragic, but also fitting with your characterization of Darcy, I could not quite believe how he didn't respond to Elizabeth's entreaty's, but he was angry and unhappy, he had given up hope of her ever loving him back and made extensive plans about the theater and ending his own life both. I most certainly am a happy endings person, so I naturally like the second ending better. It was far more upbeat and had a very sweet outcome.

Frankly I think that the perfect ending for this story would have been the combination of the two endings, with the first ending being prominent until the aftermath of the kiss, at which point Elizabeth's pleas would have been heard and the second ending would have commenced, including the butt kicking of Lady Catherine de Bourgue... and yes she is truly deserving of the full pompous title whenever her name is mentioned.

By the way I'm big into confrontations so the Lady Catherine de Bourgue thing really made this last chapter for me, and Darcy and Elizabeth's arguments in the beginning were truly the hooks that really got me started on this story, which I read in one sitting. I also enjoy romantic fluff, so I think that after the intensity of the entire story the adorable-ness of the last couple of paragraphs of the second ending made the story a lasting and unbeatable triumph. Congradulations.

I look forward to reading more of your work... on a different day. It's past my bedtime, it is a school night after all. Wow. Did I really just use up over 20 characters? This is definately the longest review I've ever written, hopefully you will take the time to actually read all of it. Again, congradulations on a story well written.
Dancing on the Edge chapter 12 . 11/9/2008
I'm sorry WHAT! What was that last thing she said... I'm quite sure I couldn't have heard (read, whatever) right. What! What! What! Underlined ten trillion times WHAT! good (excellent, amazing, epic, I'm running out of adjectives...) story so far... I was going to wait until the end to review, but this was such a shocking development that I had to review and let you know my thoughts on it. I'm going to go and finish the story now.
serpentine-f chapter 21 . 9/2/2008
I'll just imagine that Chapter 20 didn't exist. If it didn't, then this would be my favourite fanfic. As it is, it's now my second favourite, the first being 'Lily Evans James Potter FanFiction: A HowTo Guide' in which didn't seem like the author even HAD any thought of giving a sad ending! But, whatever! Love it.
Agent of the Apothecary chapter 21 . 8/8/2008
I just . . . wow. (You might want to sit down, this is going to be pretty long)

I have to admit that, at first, I wasn't going to read this. Mostly because I can be a bit of an unreasonable bitch when it comes to grammar, and there were a few unnecessary commas and ellipses and sentences that I had to reread in the first chapter, and they threw me off. But I told myself that I had to stop being so anal about things like that - especially with a plot like this stretching out before me.

So I read. And read. And read. And now, a liter of Diet Coke, half a solid chocolate bunny rabbit, and bowl of pasta later, I am so happy that I did.

Well, I don't know if 'happy' is precisely the right word.

Truthfully, I'm like Darcy. I like happy endings. Reading the author's note at the beginning of chapter 20, I almost didn't continue. But I told myself that I owed it to you, and to the plot, to read the original ending. So I read it.

And was completely blown away; bawled my eyes out, in reality. Then I suffered a reversal of emotion: now I didn't want to read the alternate ending. I was so certain that nothing different could properly finish the story. But, once again, I continued.

Now I find myself torn: between the utter perfection and horrible sadness of the first ending, or the happiness and completeness that comes from the second. I think you managed what I've always considered the impossible: created two finishes, both equally fitting, to a story. Personally - in a reversal of fortune, my friends would tell you - I prefer the first. But the second is viable.

So I have to congratulate you on that. On creating Elizabeth Bennett and Fitzwilliam Darcy, just as infallible and lovable as they were in the novel, but simply in a different way.

Thank you.
IcelandGirl812 chapter 21 . 7/29/2008
A happy ending! D

Whatever happened to the sequel you mentioned? It sounded good! I would definitely read it!
IcelandGirl812 chapter 20 . 7/29/2008
You weren't kidding about what you said on your profile about angst. I'm just glad this has an alternate ending that hopefully isn't so sad! Because like Darcy somewhere near the beginning, I'm a slave to happy endings too! And this ending is decidedly not happy! It had me in tears! That's why I don't like non-happy endings! They make me cry! But I have hope the alternate is happy...
IcelandGirl812 chapter 19 . 7/29/2008
Yay! Good riddens to bad rubbish!

Two endings?...Ok...I've never read a fan fiction that actually had two endings...interesting...
IcelandGirl812 chapter 13 . 7/29/2008
I repeat, Lizzy and Mr. Collins? Ew! Is it just me or does this seem to be heading the same direction as the possibly fictitious, possibly real The Framed Rose? 'Cause that's the feeling I'm getting...
IcelandGirl812 chapter 12 . 7/29/2008
WHAT? WHAT? Lizzy and Mr. Collins?
IcelandGirl812 chapter 1 . 7/29/2008
I love this whole idea! It's great! Did you make up the book the movie's based on? I've never heard of it, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist though. There's plenty of books I've never heard of...The only thing I don't like is the quotes you use. (") are much easier to see compared to ('). But this is so great, I'm definitely going to try and get over that!
Elelith chapter 1 . 7/24/2008
nice...
archiveidiotjello chapter 20 . 6/24/2008
I have just finished reading all 21 chpaters of this story-including the alternitave ending. I hade to confess, I think I prefer the original ending better. You have portrayed the characters so realisticly and harshly...there is no way this story could've have any other ending...Darcy couldn't have gotten over his depression that easily. But while I respect your story and your writing, and I was intrigued by it every step of the way, I was dissatisfied at the ending. It justs seems natural anything remotely related to Jane Austen sould have a happy ending. Though I do think your story is still beautiful and orginal...

Oh, God. I should just go to bed and stop contradicting myself. Hopefully you'll catch a general gist of what I'm saying.
thesleepyheads chapter 20 . 6/9/2008
Holy fuck...

I won't say I'm disappointed, but it was amazingly sad. You have a spectacular writing style, and I won't be able to get this story out of my head for a long time. Which, in a perverse way, is both a good thing and a bad thing.

I shocked myself by not crying. Seeing Lizzy and Darcy portrayed so coldly and realistically made me think. Jane Austen's novel may well have been critiqued by many as being frivolous and light, but I never minded because I thought that the two main characters deserved a happy ending.

Not everything in the world turns out badly. And while I feel the 'realism' of this story reaches an almost melodramatic peak, my only regret about reading this story is that I will now be up much later than I had intended reading a fanfic that won't give me nightmares, or dreams of my friends dying. Lord knows I've had enough of those to last a lifetime.

You have real talent, and I truly enjoyed this story.
sandstar08 chapter 21 . 4/19/2008
this is the first Austen fanfic I've ever read, and it was a blast!

I love how you managed to modernize the characters but at the same time maintained the tricky balance with keeping them essentially the same.

while I - like Darcy - vastly prefer the happy endings, I thought the original ending was much more powerful and moving.

Bravo! Well done!
Pinery chapter 21 . 4/15/2008
awesome story! l love it, though the first ending is really sad...
324 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »