Reviews for A Kingly Gift
Anime Princess chapter 2 . 9/22/2010
HAHAHA!

I LOVE how they cringed at eating the fish eggs!

Yet Alex and Phai Perdiccas, Ptolomy were brave enough to eat some and even take a simple liking of them!

LOVE IT
Complexly Simple Kiddo chapter 2 . 10/13/2008
"But Alexander kept them separately, safe with his books. Someday he would have them bound into a book, too."

To think that so many things might have existed such as this one, and got lost in time and history and wars, it always makes me so sad, but at the same time, the lost knowdlege make the little we DO know the more beautiful and magical.

I love how you wrote the scene where Hephaestion gets the fish and the explanation, how you managed to give the sense that there was an interaction going on between Alexander and Hephaestion, but not from being present in space and time, but told from another, and of their knowdlege of how the other would act uppon such a situation. (am I making any sense? I can make such a mess out of english sometimes!)
anathemawrites chapter 2 . 6/17/2007
I LAUGHED SO HARD. XD

You win an internet.
Rashalla Entalio chapter 2 . 3/9/2007
Very amusing. Very lovely writing style. Cheers
Tastytime chapter 2 . 11/11/2006
I could have sworn I had reviewed this. Well as seems to have increasingly become my motto- 'better late than never.' In this case very late, and long overdue. I really enjoyed this- the humour (especially the reactions of the Companions to the caviar- which I can understand, the stuff is disgusting,) but what was possibly my favourite moment was the way the fish gets smaller and smaller in Alexander's eyes, as he considers it as a gift for his beloved. Terrific. I love the way you managed to fits so much into it about Alexander's relationships and personality, just by the means of one or two phrases. Slapping Anarxhus with a wet fish would be most appropiate. Hope to see works similar to this again, as I enjoyed it very much.
Chromatic chapter 2 . 7/27/2006
Very humourous, and well written! I really enjoyed reading this piece of yours..it's nice to see a different, light-hearted Alexander rather than the usual ones portrayed. Not that it's a bad thing, though, but it's always refreshing to see a change every now and then, and you pulled this one off nicely.

The other characters were amusing to read about as well. I liked the way you did Cleitus [his comments fit his personality all the way down to his toes!], and Hephaestion and Alexander's friendship is just too sweet for words. To have such trust, understanding, and close companionship by your side, especially after a long day..it helps a lot.

Keep on writing, and many thanks for an enjoyable read. 3
Komadori chapter 2 . 6/22/2006
Adorable and entertaining. You actually gave Hephaestion a bit of personality! Hurrah!
A Horse Called Hwin chapter 2 . 6/16/2006
Nicely written... Great story!
Euripedes chapter 2 . 6/14/2006
I really enjoyed reading this. You got the joking/ teasing tone of Alexander down just right, and I was laughing all the way through it, especially at the Companion's reactions to the 'fish eyeballs.' Having tasted caviar, I have to say I agree with them but each to their own XD I'd really like to see some more of your stuff, and in fact I think I'll go have a scout around now!
Maskelle chapter 2 . 5/26/2006
haha, i loved how you wrote about macedonians and there taste of foreign food. In dutch we have a saying for it: What a farmer doesn't know he doesn't like!Oh and I really like the idea of hephaestion making maps for Alexander thats so sweet!Loved it!
Fredericka chapter 2 . 5/22/2006
I have been eagerly awaiting a story from you since I read your beautiful sonnet – and this was truly worth the wait. It is, quite simply, superb! You give the reader a convincing glimpse into what I believe to be the true nature of Alexander’s and Hephaestion’s relationship - the profound depth of their devotion, the quiet certainty of the bond between them - so tenderly expressed by Hephaestion’s private sketches and Alexander’s affectionate letter. Also thoroughly enjoyable was the education in Persian haute cuisine and the amusing discomfiture experienced by the rather boorish Macedonians trying to find excuses not to have to eat the strange barbarian concoctions. Excellent work. Will look forward to your next post.

Fredericka
Lysis chapter 2 . 5/21/2006
Hi, I really enjoyed your story and your take on the now famous fish passage! The bit with the caviar, at the table, when all the officers were calling it various names was really priceless. I really liked the maps that you have Hephaistion designing and giving to Alexander complete with their own private code. Very Hephaistion-like, this really sounds like something the man might have done. How do I know! There's a very tender strain running through your story regarding Alexander's treatment of Hephaistion and it's so sweet. I really enjoyed reading this.
queen-isabell chapter 2 . 5/11/2006
I love this story! It was very well written, I love how it was both humorous and sweet. It seemed very true to life and I really like your Hepahestion! Please write more.
moon71 chapter 2 . 5/9/2006
This story is delicious! You made me feel hungry just reading it. I just love the way you write, your style and your plot is mature and you have a wonderfully understated sense of humour. I also love your Alexander with his devotion to Hephaestion and his impatience with the conservatism of his friends. He must have felt like banging his head agains the wall sometimes when he heard them complaining. The conversations between Alex and Anaxarchus are delightful! I particularly loved Alexander's letter, such a fine mixture of love, humour and childish pleasure, just like a young man talking to an intimate friend.

"P.P.S. They say the light-blue eggs are from a fish that was over two thousand pounds. What do you think of that?" I loved that ending to the letter; Alexander can obviously share his fascination with all things exotic with Hephaestion without fearing he will be laughed at.

Please write more. I know people say that often, but I really mean it. You are very talented, and not just on a molecular level.

Moon x
Atsu Tenshi chapter 2 . 5/8/2006
Three words:

I LOVE IT!

It really made me laughed, from the introduction of the kagavar-thingy till the end about the light blue eggs. Plus, with Eumphemius giving Alexander the wrong information about the fish, instead him translating the fish which is at least seventy-five years old, he said it was two thousand and twenty-four pounds. That was HUGE! Very impossible to be that size! But Alexander just believed in it anyway ::laughs::

And about the map, I could imagine Alexander chuckling to himself in one long boring council as he gaze into the map which Hephaestion drew that only the King hismelf would understand.

And I like the ending of the note which Alexander wrote to Heph.

"If that dry old bone Anaxarchus says anything to you about dripping mud on the floor, tell him I'll make him eat nothing but fish for a year – the pickled kind. Or better yet, fish eyeballs. Aristotle said that eating fish might increase a man's powers of thought; maybe that will improve Anarxarchus' intelligence to the level of a two-year-old. Or a fish."

and most of all... the one that won't fail to amuse me:

"They say the light-blue eggs are from a fish that was over two thousand pounds. What do you think of that?"

And I wonder what will Hephaestion answer...

Are you going to write a sequel out of this?

I love this one-shot. You did an awesome work. Best wishes and keep up the great work! XD