Reviews for Running on Empty
dlbelfrey chapter 17 . 10/30/2020
14 years later I returned to emerse myself into one of SGA's best fanfiction's story.
Gosh how I still miss the show, but even more I miss the great stories that were generated from it like this one by you. Great plot, epic friendships, great planet building, believable OC characters and enough whump to keep this old lady happy.
So once again thank you sooooo much for a great read.
ElevethaHoure chapter 17 . 2/12/2020
I enjoyed this tremendously and especially liked Rodney's interactions with the kids!
Aileil chapter 17 . 8/5/2018
Wowsy powsy!
Okay, I'll start by admitting that I have been avoiding this particular story of yours deliberately, pretty much since I was...well MUCH younger than I am currently, just because the story's word count had me intimidated. Several of my absolutely favourite SG: A tales have been of a similar length, but I'd also read enough absolute flops that I just wasn't prepared to read a 90,000 word story that included the word 'amnesia' in the description. Still, I liked your other work, and the runner concept is, admittedly, intriguing and sadly underused, so I kept coming back to you story and wondering if it would be worth the time and emotional investment to read it.
To my great delight, you exceeded my wildest hopes. I think this was a really fantastic fanfiction because you not only captured Rodney and Sheppard's characters well, but you used them in ways they are not usually employed. In such a survival situation, Rodney often does reasonably well (certainly better than his friends and team mates could ask), but Sheppard inevitably does all the really noteworthy saving and Sheppard, likewise, couldn't plan his way out of a wet paper bag in fanfics, just to make sure Rodney is still indespensable.
My point is that you didn't take that route here. You went the much harder direction of placing them both in different kinds of danger (while still in pretty much the same situation), created a realistically closed system around them and let each of them shine in unexpected, but very believeable ways. For instance, Rodney as the child-guardian would sound like something to be found in a poor attempt at humour, but the children realistically became attatched to him even though he is no nicer to them than he is to anyone else. Furthermore, while you took Sheppard out of his usual role by first afflicting him with amnesia (but not in the ridiculous 1960s TV kind of way) and then mangling his leg, you in no way removed him from the action. The story could not have played out without his strength of will in keeping up with (and even looking out for) Rodney and no matter how much Rodney tried to emulate Sheppard's optimism (having recognised that a certain amount of illogical will to ignore non-optimal outcomes is actually necessary for extreme survival conditions) he still needed Sheppard because of his rather practical turn of mind and long strategic experience in using meager resources to their best advantage. Neither character stole the show, and both were shown to their best advantage without anybody getting too angsty or maudlin.
You've created a masterpiece here and I'm sorry I didn't read it sooner.
SaiLena chapter 17 . 11/22/2017
A very good story, really liked it!
Andrea chapter 17 . 6/7/2016
Very gripping story, I really enjoyed it. Thank you
Jerry K chapter 17 . 8/20/2015
Beautiful! just beautiful! And some of the one liners are too funny! and sometimes all too profound...
Vampy chapter 17 . 6/14/2015
Nice story. I especially like the ending and the co-op between John/Rodney and the kids. I miss SGA. Keep writing ;) V.
Nadamalki chapter 17 . 6/2/2015
One of the best fanfictions out there representing Sheppard and Rodney's friendship!
GinnyPotter95 chapter 17 . 6/19/2014
That is one hell of a story. I spend the better part of the whole afternoon reading it. I just couldn't stop reading. It never got boring and I kind of like the idea of the story. It's pretty realistic that Rodney tries to solve this with his brain, but also that he thinks about what Sheppard would do. It's kind of his surviaval skill or the fighter in him. Sheppard's logical side is Rodney, that amazed me. But I wondered how some normal rope is capable of holding a flying dart, but oh well this is fiction after all. ;)
I love this fanfic. I just love it. And I loved the twist with the kids. It was kinda funny.
Ginny
danceofshadows chapter 17 . 1/4/2014
Wonderful!
Zan Evans chapter 17 . 1/15/2013
Very possibly the best and most realistic fanfiction I have ever read, and I spend a good deal of time on this site. While a decent lot of fanfiction may be awful, I continue to spend hours filtering though that mess with the intent to find stories just like this. Completely worth the read, and the time it took to do so.
KangaRou chapter 17 . 8/28/2011
You know, with all that sap at the end I was half expecting Rodney to go 'You know you were right. We are brothers.' That sorta thing woulda made my little heart flutter and cause me to squeal and whimper in happiness. Anyway, for all the time it took to read, I loved it :D Good job!
KangaRou chapter 2 . 8/27/2011
"I stayed calm in a virtual environment infested with Wraith on a ship that was about to get blown out of the sky." What episode is this...if it even is an episode xD Love this idea by the way, and Rodney's pov is great :D
Noxbait chapter 17 . 5/7/2011
Very nice story! had me on the edge of my seat. i love the kids!
Monetary Value chapter 1 . 4/27/2011
I read this entire story cover to cover.

I have to say that it was incredible. It was hilarious. It was sad and touching and amusing and entertaining and my most favorite fanfiction out of every damn fanfiction in every damn fandom that I have ever read in my entire damn lifetime.

And I've read thousands. I'm serious.

I love the way you wrote the characters, kept the story interesting, and developed the plot lines.

Out of ten I would give this no less than a thousand.

You're an incredible writer.

Just thought you'd like to know.