Reviews for Healing
QueenMeep chapter 7 . 5/19/2006
I think perhaps Owen knew who did it but did not let on... an excellent ending to the story.

Actually, it really gives Anakin justification and at the same time it makes his actions seem that much darker... as they both gave humanity to the Sand People with their pyre and the respect given, (although that was probably also for sanitary reasons) it also highlights thoughts of how much of monsters they thought the Sand People were for killing their own.

I will definitely look for the next rewrite... I look forward to it! Interesting that there are more Tatooine stories, though... You should post them all. ;)
Darth-Taisha chapter 7 . 5/19/2006
So did they realize that Anakin was the one who did it all. After all it was him who was able to retrieve his mother out of their clutches. Cliegg seems to be making the connection, but I am not sure. Even though Anakin is a bad-azz Jedi, they probably didn't think that he was capable of that kind of destruction. Great story, very different, I really liked it. Thanks so much.
YodaBreaker chapter 7 . 5/19/2006
This chapter highlights the delight we seem to derive from the utter destruction of those who have wronged us. And how easily we lump those we think are responsible for precipitating that destruction with the destroyers themselves. Cliegg seems to be quite the outcast - at least one of his long friendships (with the Darklighters) seems to have been rent irreparably.

It's interesting that no one in the Lars household seems to have put Anakin and the demise of the Sand People together. Perhaps in the rush of jubilation, the idea that such an apparently benevolent figure could commit such an atrocity just wouldn't click in the minds of the "simple" moisture farmers. Then again, perhaps it did click, but only on a subconscious level - to wit, the vague but definite sense of foreboding.

Would a lightsaber (which seems to cauterize wounds upon impact) have left such a bloody scene? Or are you implying that Anakin used more than his lightsaber to dismember the Tusken tribe? Or is this a metaphor for the psychological blood you spilt during your trying times?

At any rate, I'm glad you shared your story with us, and I hope that your superb writing comes to your rescue whenever you need it to restore your mental equilibrium. The pen (or in this case, the keyboard) is truly mightier than the sword.
Hannah chapter 6 . 5/18/2006
Hiya! I'm one of those silent readers you mentioned! I absolutely adore this story, I check it every day for an update! It's a very original storyline, I haven't read one similar to it. I can't wait to read more!
QueenMeep chapter 6 . 5/17/2006
Wow... speechless. I was thinking the loan shark resolution, but apparently I had forgotten about their reaction to Anakin's carnage.

And you have me speechless... which is another good thing.

You're good, damn good...

Hugs!
YodaBreaker chapter 6 . 5/17/2006
This is the second of your stories that I've read, and I very much enjoyed it (I came in on Chapter 6). However, if I hadn't known better, I would have thought that the story would have ended on Chapter 5. It had a lovely ending that tied everything off nicely and left the future of the Lars homestead secure but open for further adventures. I liked the idea that there might still be a few loose ends (e.g., exactly what happened with the loan shark), though it seemed apparent how things would turn out in the end. I wonder if Chapters 6 and 7 might make a nice kernel for a subsequent story about the Lars family. However, if the emotional impetus isn't there for it (which in many ways, I hope it's not, from what you've written about the genesis of this story), I can see how it needs to be left as it is.

Nevertheless, it's interesting to contemplate Owen as a bit of a rogue, the sort of person who is also capable of brutality and deception. However, his naughtiness in this chapter seem much more focused and purposeful than did Anakin's slaughter of the Tusken Raiders. Perhaps that's why he goes on to live the relatively content life of a farmer, whereas Anakin goes on to become a Dark Lord of the Sith. The images you evoke of him are akin to those of the "frontier justice" of the Old West.

Beru seems to be taking a more maternal role here, this time with Father Cliegg (I can't help but think he's a Catholic priest every time I read that). Is this preparation for tending to a Skywalker baby?

Aside from reasons of dramatic tension, is there any reason why Mixer wouldn't have shared why the Tuskens had all been slaughtered? I'd have thought even a startled kid in that situation would have said something along the lines of "They've been wiped out. All of them."

Is it significant that the humanoid is a cultist? If so, I must have missed the significance of the cult earlier on.

I'm wondering if the end of this story will entail the Lars family being glad that Anakin didn't stay with them, after all. Perhaps they'll think it's best that someone with that much destructive potential go off on "some damn fool crusade."
JediMan chapter 6 . 5/17/2006
One Word. Oops, already filled all of my duty. :) Good Chapter.

-JM
imaprincess1 chapter 6 . 5/17/2006
Yikes, silent reader here. Really well written story and I loved how you were able to go into everyone's mind to show what they were thinking. I wondered if anyone ever knew that that Anakin killed the Sand People.
Gizzi1213 chapter 5 . 5/15/2006
Sigh...I was very happy to see tbc at the end of this chapter.

I just want to say that I LOVED, I mean I LOVED the exchange between Owen and Padme when she mentiones no attachments and Owen comes back at her with, “Then what are you?” That is exactly what I was trying to point on in my review for chapter 4 when I commented that Owen and Beru just assumed Anakin and Padme's relationship was in fact a "relationship." And I'm giving myself a cookie too because I didn't cheat and look ahead!

And I was HOWLING when Padme asked Owen how he got C-3PO to be quiet...we know from RoTS that she never seems to learn how to do that.

I'm going to go out on a limb and make a predication as to what comes next: Obi-Wan returns with Baby Luke. It would be a nice bit of symmetry. The "family" members of Anakin and Padme are called away to go resuce Obi-Wan, then the circle is closed with the return of family via Obi-Wan. That's my prediction, can't wait to see what you came up with.

Sorry this review is short, but it's nearly 1 am now and I'm beat and need to head off to bed. I look forward to the conclusion.
Gizzi1213 chapter 4 . 5/15/2006
Aw...you write the nicest things...and then there is the story you're writing too! I was busy studying for finals when the update came in for Chapter 4. I'd skimmed it real quickly, but I never got back here to really read it or review until this evening when the update arrived for Chapter 5 and I remembered. Which of course just means I get the pleasure of feeling like I have a two chapter update today! BONUS!

If I didn't know better I'd think that Owen and Anakin were blood relatives. What is it with young men and their stubborn stupid pride? Just makes you want to lock them up in a room with C-3PO until they beg for mercy, doesn't it? Hm...raises the question, "How fast can Anakin deconstruct a droid once he's built it?"

I really enjoyed the little hints to the relationships between the two young couples in this chapter. The scene with Owen and Beru on the stairs was nice. That little non-verbal exchange of communication was very realistically portrayed showing the depth to which they know each other and care for each other. Makes the decision that Owen eventually reveals he's come to to be even more wrenching. He loves Beru so he'll do whatever it takes to keep her secure, even if that means likely breaking her heart in the process.

Which is a nice parallel to the situation with Anakin and Padme. Padme and Anakin had their similar moment only a short time ago on Naboo when they knew to be together would be living a lie. In this case a mutual decision, each knowing that on some level their hearts were breaking, but each doing what they think is best for the other.

And yet each young woman is fully attuned to her respective partner. Beru knows something is wrong with Owen just as Padme knew there was more to Anakin's encounter with the Tuskans than he was at first willing to admit.

I also like how both Owen and Beru just seem to assume that the relationship between Anakin and Padme mimics their own. Beru comments on how much Anakin will appreciate Padme's hair style while Owen assumes that Padme has gone to Anakin after they've finished digging the grave. Even knowing that Anakin is a "Jedi" they don't truly understand what that means, and they don't even know who Padme is. They've no appreciation for how vastly different their lives truly are.

Now, onto chapter 5 to make sure someone has kicked Owen in the pants...if not, I'm leaving the C-3PO threat open as an option.
QueenMeep chapter 5 . 5/15/2006
O, you gave me chills with that ending. I loved the moment between Owen and Beru... very sweet from such a gruff man. And really, Owen is just about as opposite from Anakin as he could be, what with his reserved emotions. Although I suppose they do both have their pride! I wonder if that's a result of growing up with Anakin's shadow, or whether it's just because of his father Lars... probably his father.

I'm quite amazed that it was Padme that saved them from that predicament... although I probably should have thought about that sooner. I never thought of Padme wanting to give one last thing to Shmi, although it makes perfect sense, since she helped save them from getting off the planet so many years prior, let them use her beloved son to help them, then gave him up to the Jedi.

And it shows her emotion towards Anakin earlier than we saw it in the movie, which makes more sense as well because I don't think she would go against her own will so quickly and without thinking about it prior. And it seems as if this visit to Tatooine really did make more of an impact on her.

You know, if you want to continue with Owen growing up, it would be interesting to see his youth with the shadow of Anakin lurking. You've already captured so much of Owen, I'm already appreciating the character better. And I can see why he would grudge the Jedi a little more.

I wonder what you have in store for us next, as it seemed resolved where it was... I suppose going back to the loan shark? Hmm...

And yes, the writing is definitely therapeudic for me. I am glad that it is for you as well. But keep doing it- you're rather good at it. ;)
Darth-Taisha chapter 5 . 5/15/2006
Clapping hands! I liked the way Padme was persistant in getting Owen to accept money for C3PO. Good job, I really like this story.
QueenMeep chapter 4 . 5/11/2006
Yes, writing can definitely be therapeudic... especially angst. Probably the reason there's so much of it on my profile. ;)

You keep amazing me with these little details, especially the details that Owen notices and the memories they trigger when he's practically drowning in the despair he must feel. I can only imagine what sort of situation all of them- perhaps save Padme, who at the time is the least affected of them all, practically an outsider yet embraced as family. Ironic that she one day will be... that Beru combed the hair of the mother of the child she will soon raise.

Your comment on their hair actually makes me wonder what other complexities are brought to life with the climate of Tatooine, the different challenges it arises, especially when compared to such a humid planet as Naboo. The parallels there between Padme's home planet and Anakin's are another thing to look into... hmm...

I am very glad you're broaching the topic of why Owen was so against the Jedi to Luke. I tried briefly to cover this in Fallen Angel, but I think yours is a much better- and much more canon- realization of it. I'm sure you will expound on that and I will look forward to the details- it's one of those things that we come to depend upon fanfiction for, one of the details I feel should have been better expounded on in the first place in the movies.

Your story gets me to rambling... which is a GOOD thing! I love stories that make me think!
JediMan chapter 4 . 5/11/2006
As Threepeo would say, "Oh Dear..." Ahh, good chapter wonder how he got out of this delema?

-JM
Darth-Taisha chapter 4 . 5/11/2006
I really like this, I hope he finds a way to pay off the loan shark. Hopefully he will swallow his pride and ask Padme and Anakin to help him. Great job, I look forward to an update.