Reviews for A Precious Gift
Frodo's sister chapter 1 . 2/2/2013
This is a really good story. You made some realistic characters. I like how you developed Targon's family. I also liked how Aragorn took care of them, and healed his wife. I think I should let you know that Aragorn and Arwen's first child was a boy named Eldarion. They did have daughters afterwards though Tolkien never mentioned how many there were or there names. You did a good description of Melian. It looks like she was named after a Maia. Did you read the Simirilian?
archeress of silverbow chapter 1 . 6/30/2010
Lovely story absolutly fantastic
Feafea chapter 1 . 4/29/2010
This story's highly unusual, in a good way. Haha. But I thought it might have been better to break it up into chapters. It's a little too long for a one-shot. But other than that, no complains! Only praises! :D

Thanks for sharing!
LisaG16 chapter 1 . 12/18/2009
Terrific story! I love seeing Aragorn go back to his roots and keep in touch with the people he now governs. Isn't he just the BEST? :)
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 1/22/2009
A very enjoyable story.
BohemianAngel716 chapter 1 . 8/29/2006
WOW! What an awesome story! I must say Christmas Shoes is one of my favorite holiday songs! It that what you based it off of with the little boy? Anyway, I love it!
grumpy123 chapter 1 . 5/20/2006
Very good story, I have enjoyed reading it. I like the part with the boy and the shoes in the shop. Plus the boys father making the cradle for Aragorn's child.
Thorongirl chapter 1 . 5/11/2006
When I was reading this, the thought that came to mind was how very special your writing is. Really outstanding. You set the atmosphere beautifully with the contrast between the snow and the White City. It had the feeling of a fairytale or great short story about it. Anyways, Arwen helping Aragorn to 'escape' was sweet, the king's keen powers of observation, and on and on. Simply lovely throughout. I loved the way it all turned out and the tie-ins you so neatly made. Congratulations on graduating from college. I'm sure you'll do well. I'm going to add your story and you to my Favorites list. Thanks SO much for sharing with us and I look forward to more stories from you. Awesome story.
Aelaer chapter 1 . 5/10/2006
Good evening, my dear authoress (I shall assume you are female, but please correct me if I am wrong).

As I am wont to do, I shall review this story section by section. My reviews tend to be long and rambly, so I apologise if you don't like such long, tedious babbles.

Anyways, I liked the beginning; a bit of description of a snow-covered city, and we know how long Aragorn has been king and everything. And, I will admit, I have a large weakness for stories that involve Aragorn sneaking out and just being with his people. There are not enough 4th Age Aragorn stories, and when they do pop up, I get very excited.

Anyways, I do like your characterization of Arwen. It is how I envision her to be; not all warrior-type, but certainly one who knows how to defend herself very well, and a smart and tactful woman who stood by Aragorn's side. Aragorn would never marry just a pretty face.

One criticism: the singular form is 'Dunadan', while the plural form is 'Dunedain'. Aragorn should be called 'Dunadan' when he is being shouted at.

I do like how you mention the Glittering Caves, and Legolas having Ithilien! You have obviously read the books; or, if not that, then you know your canon and have done the research. I like that a lot.

Ah, another critique... a bit of a pet peeve, actually. You say "Middle-Earth"; it is actually "Middle-earth". I know, I know, very small, but it is best, of course, to be as accurate as possible. As it is, I used to type "Middle Earth", before I learned the correct form (aka reread the books ).

Ahh! I nearly died when Aragorn helped that boy, and then followed him, and offered to help his mom! So much like Aragorn! *huggles him tightly* I love Aragorn so very much. So selfless and caring... *sighs happily* Aragorn is just great.

Oh, I love your description of the lady, and Targon is awesome. I love his wariness, and how he addresses Aragorn like any other guy... hahah, of course, having absolutely no idea who he is talking to. Oh, and I absolutely LOVE how Aragorn just knows exactly what to do, and then gets up and leaves. Hah! I can't wait to see their reaction... *reads further*

Ooh, a learned lady! I like Alanna very much. And Targon's reaction is absolutely killing me. Truly, I must just keep reading...

Hahaha! I loved how Arwen came in, and how they finally discovered he was the king! Oh man, that was just great... aw, I love Aragorn!

Oh, I liked the gathering a lot. That was very sweet; rarely we see just nice moments between friends in fan fiction, and seeing this was very nice. I would have liked to heard more from Faramir and Eowyn, but one cannot get what they always wish for. Oh, and before I even continue, I bet Arwen's news is a baby.

HA! I WAS RIGHT! *does a little dance* Who is good? I am good!

Ah, a cradle! Wow, Targon and his family should be well-off now... what lucky folks. If only everyone in the City could be well and healthy and whatnot :( That is certainly a problem within Minas Tirith, though I imagine Elessar would try and fix it to the best of his abilities during his kingship.

Oh, I love this whole part... the cradle, Targon, them leaving... I really, really like this.

"Targon looked inordinately pleased with his work."

As an artist myself, I know this feeling exactly, and it made me giggle a lot. With pieces that are your best, you feel this unexplanable pride for them... they are your creations. Oh, yes, I know exactly what Targon is feeling.

Ohh, I loved Arwen's reaction, and I liked how Aragorn and Arwen offered them positions! That is so awesome! They ar both talented and very nice people. Targon was courteous enough to him when he didn't know who he was, Alanna was an angel, and... well, I'm content.

Oh, I bet they were called to see the King's heir. I bet they were, considering the date, and that the note was hastily written... *reads on* And Legolas got them, not Aragorn... ha! And I was right again!

And now it is done. Wow, this story truly was a delight. Wow, it took two years to write? Wow...

You are certainly an excellent author. This story is going onto my faves, and I will be watching you for future fics. This was truly excellent; I enjoyed it so much.

Cheers,

Laire

PS. Yes, my reviews really are typically this long. Not usually this... sane, though. If you do post up more stories soon, my reviews tend to get a bit... nuttier
Sarahbarr17 chapter 1 . 5/10/2006
A charming, heart-warming story that is very well written. This story also has a sense of realism about it, unlike some other fanfictions that I could mention! Jolly well done...

One quibble: I thought "Dunedain" was plural and "Dunadan" was the singular form of the word.

happy writing!

Love and hugs,

Sarah x
Elflingimp chapter 1 . 5/10/2006
Aw this was a very moving and absolutly beautiful story Sob I loved it!
Elflingimp chapter 1 . 5/10/2006
Aw this was a very moving and absolutly beautiful story Sob I loved it!
RS chapter 1 . 5/10/2006
Beautiful story! Very touching. Always appreciate what you have and to always count your blessings. Cannot wait for your other stories.
DawnStrider chapter 1 . 5/10/2006
This story was a wonderful gift, and i loved reading it. I loved how you portrayed the characters, Aragorn was so compassionate and seemed to be a wonderful king.

The king and queen have been very generous to the family, and i'm glad that everything turned out so well.

I loved reading this story and cant wait to read the next one.