Reviews for The fight to be different
mes reves de cafe chapter 1 . 6/25/2013
Overall this wasn't a horribly written story. The writer most definitely has potential!
I would agree with the other reviewer who said "Had Ellie and Kyla been shown to continue to differentiate themselves while still remaining close, the ending would have reflected the maturity of the rest of the story."
There were only a few things that I found hard to believe. One of them being how badly Kyla took it when Ellie said that she wanted to be different, the other being how rude the younger siblings were behaving towards Ellie when Kyla ran away. The conclusion that Kyla made that she wasn't wanted was entirely her own. Besides, I feel like after Kyla called Ellie a bitch, Ellie was a little warranted to fight back.
Just one other thought- this fanfic could easily be turned into a story about original characters seeing as the canon characters weren't totally focused on. I could definitely see this turning into a longer story. In fact, I think a multi-chap version of this would be really lovely, it would definitely allow all the characters to be fleshed out more!
Like I said, you've definitely got something good going here!
Marcia Landa chapter 1 . 7/21/2006
[i]The Fight to Be Different[/i] is loosely based on the Monarch of the Glen, as the author describes. Be prepared that Jamie is the laird of Glenbogle, Lexie's husband, and father of the girls who are the story's main characters; and that the family name is MacKenzie, not MacDonald. If you don't expect to find an explanation for this or why Archie doesn't seem to exist, you can enjoy the story for what it is: a sweet teenage angst story about twin sisters, Ellie and Kyla, who struggle to develop their individual identities while wanting and not wanting to remain close.

The author deftly moves between the points of view of each sister, although there was one place where I thought a transition paragraph would have been helpful. She establishes different personalities for each twin and describes the ambivalence of each as they try to negotiate a new relationship. She has a nice way of describing the characters' looks and movements, so you can "see" them as you read. She also makes good use of repetition and symbols (the broken heart lockets) to illustrate her themes.

The ending is well written and satisfying in a sentimental sort of way, as the girls appear to resolve their problems by reverting to their former two-peas-in-a-pod relationship. However, I think that after all their effort to establish independence, which is what the teen years are all about, the ending could have been improved a lot with just a few changes. Had Ellie and Kyla been shown to continue to differentiate themselves while still remaining close, the ending would have reflected the maturity of the rest of the story.

All in all, this is a very good story that I highly recommend. The teen author has real talent as a writer.
Lucyy-xo chapter 1 . 7/21/2006
Hi! It's me! Please review!