Reviews for Kiss of Fire
cresswellshipper17 chapter 1 . 9/2
Yes! Zuko sees Katara after 17 years...wow...such a long time
cresswellshipper17 chapter 54 . 8/20
One of my top favorite Zutara fanfics... Love it so much... This should have been canon. Thank you so much for sharing!
AlainaAnn101 chapter 54 . 7/25
Such a wonderful story! I can tell you put a lot of work in to this story and I promise it definitely shows throughout the entire story! I hope to see more Zutara stories from you soon! I'll definitely be following your works
Thank you so much for writing this.
You are very talented.
Rudeatude chapter 54 . 6/14
Since this story was first published nearly ten years ago, it has always left me with mixed feelings after reading it.

On one hand it is a wonderfully written piece of fiction, one that could easily be tweaked and published not just as fanfiction but as an original story that can stand on its own merits. Your sense of description is simple yet highly illustrative, giving the reader a clear picture of each chapter without forcing them to digest paragraph after paragraph of endless descriptions as many fantasy stories tend to do. You're characters are well-written and believable, not only as characters but as human beings, rich with complex personalities, passions and emotion.

However, your portrayal of Zuko is perhaps the one thing that prevents me from placing this story among those that I consider to be my favorites. I've read many different Avatar fanfictions over the years and I have yet to read one with a more hateful portrayal of Zuko than what you've presented in these chapters.

I realize the emotional drama between Zuko, Miumi and his son represent a major part of the story's central plotline, but no matter how many times I've read this, I just can't wrap my head around how anyone can act the way he does towards his family and think they're justified. His treatment of Muimi is almost disturbing at times, between his use of threats and blackmail to force her into marriage, to the way he practically claims ownership of her body and forces her to share his bed before they are even married. Everything about their relationship during those first 20 chapters is enough to taint my opinion of him for the rest of the story, both as a character and as a person.

His treatment of other women is almost just as bad. He claims to mourn the loss of Katara and yet he has no problem taking other women to his bed for no other reason than to satisfy some sexual itch before discarding them without ever giving them a second thought. Sure he makes sure that they are taken care of financially, but that hardly changes the hypocrisy of what he is doing.

He claims to have no affection to give to a son he sired not out of a longing for the companionship of family but as an obligation to continue a family line he has little to no regard for and yet he can lavish affection on a young woman whom he has only just met. It seems in his twisted sense of logic, so long as he's not burning his son's face he's alright with how he treats him.

His response to Katara's memories resurfacing in Muimi is also a serious point of criticism I have for the portrayal of his character. On one hand, he chooses to make a complete stranger his wife and Lady of all the Fire Nation becuase he is convinced that she is his lost love reborn, to the point where he refuses to acknowledge her actual name, and yet he does everything he can to hinder the natural resurrection of her past memories. His actions make absolutely no sense and the fact that they result in the miscarriage of their first child only makes it worse.

To put it simply, Zuko is a selfish and hateful narcissist who believes the entire world owes him for his past sufferings. He tells Miumi that he is not a terrible man, but one has to wonder whom he's trying to convince when he says that.

Really, when all is said an done, the only thing that makes him seem less hateful is when he's compared to the likes of Enkie and Ozai. And when the most favorable thing one can say about your character is that you're not as bad as your genocidal murderer of a father, you have a serious problem.

I realize I've been going on about this for this entire review and I just want to make it clear that my feelings regarding Zuko's character in no way reflects my overall opinion of your abelities as a writer and story teller.

I would like to end this by offering some suggestions, if I may.

1. Change Zuko's tactics when he proposes to Miumi. This includes doing away with the blackmail and his unwarranted sense of entitlement whe it comes to her affections. There are better ways of kicking off an arranged marriage story.

2. Make Zuko less hostile towards his son. The way he treats Kuzon is borderline abusive at times and even though he comes to his senses after 22 chapters, the bad taste left from those first interactions still lingers. If you want a good example of a strained but endearing relationship between a taciturn father and his estranged son, the relationship between Worf and Alexander from Star Trek TNG is one that I would choose to use as inspiration.

3. Chapter 19 needs to go. All of it. It needs to be burned and the salted and scattered to the wind, becuase everything about it just cements Zuko's hateful image throughout the rest of the story. I'm glad that you were at least willing to drop the part where he rapes his Miumi in a fit of lust-driven rage (yes, it was rape)

4. Include a scene where Zuko is truly put in his place, by both his wife and his advisors. With the exception of being burned by his son, there are no real consequences for Zuko's actions which results in him enjoying a happy ending that he really doesn't deserve.

I think that's really all I have to say about the matter. If you're still reading this, I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

As I stated earlier, you have an incredible talent for story telling and I do believe this particular pieces has the potential to be published as its own original story.
DDBB19 chapter 54 . 6/6
Please tell me there's going to be a sequel ... something a couple of hundred years, maybe a couple thousand years down the line. You know, like another ice-age has passed and it's the start of a new world. Old technologies gone, nations starting again. Something bringing our faves back together in a somewhat similar situation to the original.
madame thome chapter 54 . 5/29
So interesting to be reviewing this chapter on Memorial Day Weekend barely a year after my father's passing and only a few months since my stepmother's funeral. I have loved this story very much and I like how you ended it with the couple resting for a while before they start any more lives. The idea of matched soulmates dancing through eternity and time is such a wonderful one. Like Katara and Zuko and Katara's parents I have known a great love and my father loved as Katara's father did.

Zuko delt in a healthy manner with the issue of his father. He did not allow an animal that soiled its own den to do the same to him. Love all the adventures of the children and grandchildren they grow up and expand the family. Thank you for all your hard work on this wonderful tale.
Juju chapter 54 . 5/28
Ah, that was a great story! It's clear a lot of thought and effort went into it.
trninjakiller chapter 2 . 5/23
This is just wierd. The fact that he is old enough to be her father is just wrong to me. This is just wrong. If you wanted them to get together and stay together then you should have made her survive the encounter with azula. I am done.
1600th reviewer! I love the story, great job!
WrittenWithLove765 chapter 54 . 5/4
Awwwwwww thank you so much for all your hard work. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we appreciate it! This story has been wonderful, and I have enjoyed every chapter! I love the idea of Katara and Zuko being together in past lives and will be again. I'm just curious, Agni's mate said that everyone has their 'true self' throughout all their lives. What would the honest, deep down version of Katara/Zuko be? Would they pretty much be themselves?
WrittenWithLove
LordCybot chapter 54 . 5/4
God this one was such a journey. I've been following this for five years now, I think.

It might be because its 4 AM and I simply missed it, but I wonder what Ozao wrote as his final memoirs..if he did anything at all.

In anycase, its sad to see you leaving this fandom behind in terms of writing, as you were one of maybe half a dozen highly skilled writers here. Oh well I suppose though, I'll probably come back to this story whenever I have a Zutara craving.
ladybug45 chapter 54 . 5/3
Thank you so much for your writing. It has been a gift to read your stories.
WrittenWithLove765 chapter 49 . 4/11
Question: Aang is the avatar. His past lives were all avatars. How could he be reincarnated as former guy Katara's wife?
Btw, ur story is amazing! I cried a little in some places, laughed in others, and was completely satisfied with all of it! Congrats on such a wonderful story.
WrittenWithLove
WrittenWithLove765 chapter 23 . 4/9
This sounds so stupid but I started crying as I read the scene with Zuko opening up to his son! This is amazing and can't wait to see the rest of the group!
1,609 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »