Reviews for Raiding the Raiders
kiku65 chapter 7 . 5/2/2007
"Thirty" and "Four" are just numbers, but you managed to tell the whole story. Well done.
YodaBreaker chapter 6 . 5/26/2006
Now, now...I never said it was the one who went into hysterics that doesn't get killed - that's usually a different sort altogether who dies before the real action takes place (e.g., Shaa'Gi in the Clone Wars cartoons) :P Perhaps my vision has been clouded too much by Spock's action in The Wrath of Khan, though that's a different universe altogether.

At any rate, the flashes of words convey Cliegg's disjointed thought processes well, making that sequence truly seem like fleeting visions, rather than like a carefully constructed, well-rehearsed narrative.

Ah, the morphing often that seems to happen to trauma survivors. Especially when there are so many faces to mourn.

Well, though I've not been lurking, here's my last-chance reply :) Would you be so kind as to return the favor?
YodaBreaker chapter 5 . 5/24/2006
CHARGE! The impetuous youth manage to save the elder Lars and Nathan, at the cost of one of their own. The first section captures the frenzy of the initial speeder intrusion without being too confusing. The "boots - boot - what?" was particularly effective in conveying the confusion in the chaos.

You also did a nice job of relating the frustrations of not being able to save everyone who is important to the speeder crew. These sorts of scenes seem to call for having a more impetuous, emotional character (Marx) balanced by one who feels just as strongly but who has managed to control his emotions (Sholli). Too bad it's usually the more controlled one who ends up paying the price.

Even in the smallest of wars, having one's blood spilled by the enemy often leads to callousness. I'm glad you followed that up in "Healing."
Darth-Taisha chapter 5 . 5/24/2006
Very powerful, you did a good job with the choice of having to leave people behind. Excellent job!
Darth-Taisha chapter 4 . 5/23/2006
Wow, very scary. Is this an AU or a fill in the scenes kind of story. It would be cool if Anakin was on the speeder and rescued them. I like the story, please keep writing.
YodaBreaker chapter 4 . 5/23/2006
I'm sorry for not having read and reviewed this story of yours earlier. I know precisely what it's like not to have many reviews directed your way, probably due to having an esoteric story about relatively minor characters. Perhaps you'd be willing to shoot a wee review over to my own story to give a struggling first-time fanfic-er a boost? :)

At any rate, this is certainly a more vicious story than the others of yours I've read, and it deserves its M rating. That's not at all a bad thing, though. To describe the brutality of the Tuskens requires a certain amount of violence. Of particular note was the way in which even the young'uns were fighting for Cliegg's detached leg. The emphasis for them seems to be more on the carnage than on the victory - and the more carnage and suffering, the greater the frenzy. Though your other Lars story suggests that the farmers weren't much better when they came across the bodies of the hated Tuskens.

I liked the background that you gave in Chapter 2 about the conflicts between the farmers and the Tuskens, and how the farmers seemed to be rising ascendent - until this terrible catastrophe. It made the Tuskens at least seem understandable. Perhaps the Tuskens were using the moisture upon which the farmers were encroaching?

In Chapter 3, the ambush of the two men was nicely done. The burying of the Gaffi stick in Col's back was reminiscient of the final tomahawk blow Mel Gibson's character in The Patriot delivered to the last British soldier when he rescued his family - which was perhaps one of my favorite moments of the whole movie. Your description of the metered (literally) approach the Tuskens on Cliegg's position was well-paced and tense. The one thing about this scene that seemed a bit off is that the "one down, two to replace" metaphor seemed to be used (albeit with nice subtle variations) a bit too often (I counted three times). Perhaps it would suffice in one of those places to say something along the lines of "And still the horde came, undiminished."
imaprincess1 chapter 4 . 5/23/2006
Your story is gripping and I feel no sorry for the sand people. Perhaps Anakin needed to kill them all. I like the story.
Darth-Taisha chapter 3 . 5/22/2006
Very nice, I really like it. The Lars family doesn't get too much time in stories. I guess stuff like moisture farming isn't all that exciting. Anyway, if you will keep writing I will keep reading.