Reviews for Questions
shywr1ter chapter 3 . 8/5/2006
With apologies for being long-overdue:

You already know how much I like in this chapter. Many many great moments, but in particular I like the character insights you gave us about Logan:

"...the reasons why his body had turned from being a well-oiled machine to a source of embarrassment."

Nice image- Logan's going from effortless, thoughtless movement, to having so much be an effort for him now, a repeated reminder for him that he's not the same as he was. Part of what makes him prickly, no doubt...

"...honestly I just can’t see why that chair came with an on-off switch for your Romeo side.”

Our question too, Max! :}

"With growing tiredness she wondered if maybe she’d gone too far, if this ‘make Logan talk’-thing was a bad idea after all… And there was no going back, Max realized with sudden consternation. Things couldn’t just go back to ‘normal’ again, not after Logan’s attempt at killing himself… not after her open admission of the attraction between them."

Moment of truth! I like it... ;)

“And now, look at me, what am I worth like this? I’m nothing now. I can see it every time I go out in the faces of those around...I’m used to Uncle Jonas looking at me like I’m not worth the bother. Okay, fine, I can live with that... but… to see that look everywhere I go, that’s just…”

So much insight to Logan's character offered here! -the admission of what Jonas did to him and how he coped by finding acceptance from others... now seeing (or imaginging he sees?) not acceptance but rejection or distain, and having Jonas haunt him all over again- as if Jonas was right in his assessment, after all... poor Loogie! :(

"...as if reminding himself that he didn’t scream or rage, instead his hand was opened in a helpless gesture and carefully placed onto his wheel. Then, with a shaky breath and eyes still focused on his lap, he finally let her in on how it was like to be Logan Cale."

Fantastic description of his thoughts and how they translated to his actions! and letting her "in on how it was like to be Logan Cale" is just the right tone for what he must have been thinking at the moment- terrific!

"He looked over to her, with the same sad, unbelieving expression that she would have received had she told him that walking on water was possible if only he’d try hard enough. He wanted to believe her – but he couldn’t."

I like this image, too, more added to the image of Logan you're painting...

"She knew dozens of ways to kill somebody, but stopping a single person from killing himself was beyond her."

Great reflection about Max!

“How could you think I wasn’t interested? Hell, Logan, I came back to you, even though you and your crazy plans for me being Eyes Only’s secret weapon for saving the world could easily get me killed. I could’ve just as well called Lydecker and told him where he could find me. I choose to risk my freedom for seeing you again."

Ha! Terrific point Max has! (I especially liked the 'I could’ve just as well called Lydecker and told him where he could find me' line! ;}) Of course Logan hadn't really though about all _this_...

And a powerful, important point I don't know if I've seen anyone else make-

"This lingering apathy made her realize that his desperate struggle to stay on his legs with all his willpower, hadn’t only been an immense emotional burden. His body, too, had gone through a lot: it had been in a literal battle with itself, first burning up every bit of available energy to build up nerves and muscles, only to dissolve them again, in just a matter of days. Now Logan was plainly and utterly drained, left with no reserves to carry on."

This makes so much sense, what he had been through _would_ be physically draining as well as emotionally devastating- all the harder to resist the temptation to just end it all. Outstanding observation!

"They stayed like that for a long time, each of them losing track of time, Max listening to the steady rhythm of Logan’s heart, Logan taking comfort in her warm body, as he slowly let go of the tension of the past days."

He so needed a hug! :} Glad you got Max there to provide it... (don't know that a hug from Bling would have had the same effect... :P)

Thanks for the insight and the discussions about what makes Logan tick that led up to the Logan in this chapter. We gonna get more or just leave them hugging for posterity? :D
BlueAngel137 chapter 3 . 8/5/2006
You really creep into the character's heads. Awesome job once again! I especially liked the way you show that Logan thinks he is selfish, imperfect, a failure, when he is anything but.

Favorite sentence:

-...His illogical reaction, the inconsistency of his sense of attractiveness, provoked an irrational, itching desire in Max to take him by the shoulders and shake some sense into his stubborn head. ...

The ending of this chapter left me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. I definitely can't wait for more. THANKS.
Darkangel81 chapter 1 . 8/3/2006
Amazing story, great writing. It's great to read one like that again, it's been a while since there has been a good ol' S1 story:) I hope you continue (soon)!
Maria656 chapter 3 . 8/1/2006
I like the way you handled this-Bravo!
Rachel Wilder chapter 2 . 7/26/2006
Great story! I will definitely be looking for another chapter on this one. I like what you're doing with the Max and Logan relationship and I love the questions Max is asking. I haven't seen this angle before. Keep up the great work!
Timberlou22 chapter 2 . 7/11/2006
Very deep story. I like how you are able to show very real reactions to Logan's attempted suicide. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Sara Wolfe chapter 2 . 6/26/2006
Very nice. You've carried the tone of the episode, and the characters' voices, quite well. I'm glad this was the first fic I found when I ventured into this fandom. Looking forward to the next update.
Kelly chapter 2 . 6/18/2006
That was so good, you have to finish it. Don't leave me in suspension.
annie200 chapter 2 . 6/17/2006
Oops, a late review, but i wanted to say how much i am enjoying this. It is a much more satisfying chain of events than the "Mrs Moreno will be fine" version that we saw. And your characterisation, and writing are excellent.

I like Max's mutual hurt rationale, and the fact that she is angry as well as worried. Looking forward to the next chapter.
Maria656 chapter 2 . 6/13/2006
beautifully done! [despite the cliff-hope you're typing away madly at the next part]

Loved M wanting to answer his question and the one she asked him. M never acted like the injury made him any less and I always felt that her happiness over him walking was because it got L off the pity pot and acting less self-involved not because he was suddenly 'worthy'.

Looking forward to seeing where you take this.
loll chapter 2 . 6/8/2006
fabulous
BlueAngel137 chapter 2 . 6/8/2006
Oh boy, definitely excellent work.

And see, it's only the second chapter and it already ends with a cliff ;) ... it's enticing, isn't it?

Still love the mood you created and it's a great idea to have Max asking why Logan stopped flirting with her. (Go Max!)

Liked this parts:

- ...Now she had his full attention as he gaped at her blankly, the pain over his failing legs momentarily forgotten with her unexpected query. ...

-...Her tone had sharpened considerably, hurt and accusation tinting her words. But at least, as she noted with a great deal of relief, they had had an effect, had gotten through to him. ...(nice description)

-...He still hadn’t moved, just sat there, mouth slightly open, yet unable speak, overwhelmed by her outburst. Shocked by the sudden impact of the very subject, that – though ever-present beneath the surface – normally was left unsaid between them. ... (great!)

-...“Call if you need me for some legwork. Don’t want it to be my fault if the world comes to an end.” ... (defenses are back in place, very Max-like)

I can't wait for the next installment, please hurry up ;). THANKS for sharing.
Me chapter 2 . 6/6/2006
Oh HOW I HATE cliffhangers! Albeit a good one here. I just want more and soon... PLEASE? This was fabulous. I always wondered what she would answer, although I think it has always been clear to us that she doesn't care. It's a Logan issue not a Max issue. Post more soon please.
shywr1ter chapter 2 . 6/5/2006
Woo-hoo!

You know how much I like this- and the show never gave us this scene, although with something as *big* as a suicide attempt it would have to be addressed, or would be between them for a long time.

In addition to all the favorite parts I mentioned to you before: :)

-Max's first thought to get him back to being Logan was to suggest he cook-though she might reap the benefits, no way did I see it as selfish on her part- she was looking for something Logan would enjoy doing. Good try, Max. And good idea, Mari! :}

-"His accusation had nagged at her ever since. Does he really think I’m that shallow?" It's nagged me too; I wondered if that was really what the writers were saying, or if there something I was missing. Sad to say, I think they equated his desirability (and virility) with his ability to walk (or expected us to.) Sad, but at least it gives you lots of room to write and fix their mistakes! ;}

-"'I…I’d like to know why…' She stopped, then started anew, forcing herself to get out the deciding words before her more sensible side had a chance to kick in. '…why you stopped trying to romance me, flirting like a madman…?'

"Now she had his full attention as he gaped at her blankly, the pain over his failing legs momentarily forgotten with her unexpected query."

Nice- here Logan's moaning over the cure's failure, seeing himself as impotent in several senses of the word- and Max demands to know why he suddenly stopped all the "over the top flattery" and hot-boy moves on her. No wonder he's stunned; he's assuming everyone else-especially Max- sees him as undesirable. And she's on a whole different wavelength. Heehee!

What did I do wrong, Logan? What made you think I’d feel any different just because you’re back in the chair?

This is just beautiful: so heartwrenching, and poor Max is assuming it's something she must have done, even though all this time she's seen Logan battling the effects of his injury. You can just feel the emotion in her! And it's a nice contrast, so we see that each of them are so stricken with how they feel for the other they aren't reading the signs from each other at all!

"Yeah, well. You hurt me, I hurt you. That’s life." And the defenses slam up into place. This just sounds so like Max, hurt & angry...

"And with a sudden, aching pang she realized that the only way not to let Logan hurt her any further was staying away from him altogether." Rings really true for Max! So glad Logan finally piped up and stopped her retreat...

So will this fit canon, or go full steam ahead into AU moosh? It really could go either way, you know! Thanks for another great chapter and for giving us a view of what happened after the leak from the heavens above the poenthouse!
Kyre chapter 2 . 6/5/2006
Ooh - a fic where Max comes out and demands an explanation from Logan for his abrupt change in behavior in the pilot. I like that. I think I've seen only one fic where she even broaches the topic, and that was more of a Max-mentions-it-with-a-smile-after-they-get-together thing. I like your spin on it and I'm looking forward to Logan's response. I also like what you've done here with Max's thoughts - nicely done.
70 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 Next »