Reviews for The Grandsire
Deandra chapter 1 . 5/7/2008
Obviously, though I've read most of your stories, I haven't read them all! This was quite well done for a first story attempt, and especially at 13! I'm not much into poetry, so I wasn't sure if I was going to like that, but it worked very effectively, and it was a big part of Tolkien's writings, so it lends an air of similarity to your work.

I haven't seen it much in your later stories, but at times your phrasing (mostly with the children) gets a little "modern" sounding, so you need to be careful of that.

And other reviewers are right, this tale opens up all kinds of possibilities for a longer tale to fill in some answers to the questions you raised: changes in the political climate now vs. just after the Ring War, and that cryptic remark about not speaking to his brother for fifteen years.

I *would* go read your E/L story, but as you haven't updated past ch 1 in over a year, I'm reluctant to possibly enjoy it if you aren't going to finish but just leave me hanging!

- Deandra
BM originally chapter 1 . 4/8/2008
I don't remember now if I ever reviewed this story, and am too lazy to look, so I"ll just send you another one. This was a fantastic story! The poem was wonderful and very fitting for Middle Earth-it flowed just as any poem Tolkien wrote. You did a wonderful job, and I enjoyed it very much!
Siriusly Loopy chapter 1 . 12/14/2007
Aw. The kids are so cute!
Cressida1 chapter 1 . 5/5/2007
I really like the almost-poetry! It's got a great rhythm and some nice turns of phrase. Personally, I don't see Faramir going to battle as a mistake, but I appreciated the fact that you didn't make Denethor into a monster. The characterization of the kids is nice too. Good job!

Cress
Good Queen Vold chapter 1 . 4/15/2007
Oh, please continue, if this isn't a oneshot! This was just too precious and I am gushing over this... and it takes a rare author to reduce me to a squeeing mess. So, kudos. :)

~Christie
Ivanolix chapter 1 . 4/9/2007
Lovely! These two lines really jumped out at me:

"Your father is grieved; can you not see the sorrowful light in his eyes"

"That love is joy more than swords and free plains"

It makes a lot of sense that history would not remember the love story, since our own earth's history certainly didn't record much of that sort of thing. If you continue it, I'd be very interested in reading more!
the fool on the hill chapter 1 . 4/9/2007
oh come on, like you need luck to write something as good as that. it's almost been a year since you wrote this, and yet there are no updates. GET ON WITH IT-or else.

*rofl*
Sam chapter 1 . 3/22/2007
I shall gush over how fantastic your story is, and omit pointing out the errs (not that I saw any).

This was fantastic, Andie-pop. I look forward to your next literary endeavor.
Verity Kindle chapter 1 . 3/21/2007
“Also, being the near kin of the Steward of Gondor is very dangerous. You could be killed or kidnapped, so be careful and do not spread this knowledge around.” He was starting to regret that he said anything."

Wait, wha? What happened to the mighty kingdom of Gondor and Arnor? I think another story is in order, one that explains what happened to the King and the Steward from ROTK! thanks! )
Bismillah chapter 1 . 6/1/2006
Ah! Duilin's adorable. Haha.

I can see the Faramir-love in this fic, which isn't a bad thing of course. In fact, it's a very good thing... Since you can't ever get enough Faramir love. The poem/lay/tale was very expertly done! I really liked it, especially the beginning.

It was great how you made it fit into the plot. The whole storytelling angle. It makes the piece come to life more. I found it a bit strange though that the whole story of Faramir and Eowyn was "unknown" in a sense. I think that many people would've known about them, seeing as how they shared a "very public" kiss. Haha. Still, great work!
Nesta chapter 1 . 5/26/2006
I love this! The poem expresses a lot of what I always wanted to read about the love story of my favourite characters - all the things that JRRT suggested but didn't say. It always rather bugged me that Eowyn never got round to saying 'I love you.' Wouldn't have taken much space, would it?

It works well as free verse, but what I would really love is a version in alliterative verse like JRRT uses for the Rohirrim. (I think his alliterative verse is quite a bit better than his rhyming verse.) It has that sort of feeling about it.

There seems to be a lot more story behind this. Why is it dangerous to be known as a relative of the Stewards? Is this the germ of a 'return of evil to Middle Earth' story? It sounds rather more promising than the story JRRT started and then wisely abandoned.
YFWE chapter 1 . 5/25/2006
Hehe... that was pretty good! First LOTR fic I've read, and I enjoyed it very much. I hope you write more soon!

YFWE
Tatharwen Took chapter 1 . 5/24/2006
Cursed computer won't let me do a signed review since I've already done one.

Anyway, I thought of something I forgot to say. :-) I thought you did the children's characters really well, and I liked the way you gave them individual personalities even with the short time you had to set them down in our minds. At times, they reminded me of my own younger siblings! But without the squabbling and pushing, however.

That's so cool the way you had Faramir as Barahir's granddad! And I love the way you kept us guessing until the end.

One thing, though. I thought Barahir was an ancient relative of Aragorn's. Somewhere in one of the books, probably in The Two Towers, Tolkien mentions Aragorn's ring, the Ring of Barahir. It was shaped like two intertwined serpents with emerald eyes, one with a crown and the other devouring. This ring was passed down to Aragorn from Arathorn, from a bunch of relatives, to whom it was passed down from Barahir, who got it from someone who I'm too lazy to go look his name up. But I will, and then I'll come back and review again! I was just wondering, was there a second Barahir later on? Someone who could have possibly sired Faramir? That would be SO neat! Makes me wonder what you'll write on next...

Ok, I'll stop taking up your review space and go look up what's-his-name, but PLEASE, keep writing and posting! ~Tatharwen Took~
Lariren-Shadow chapter 1 . 5/23/2006
I thought it was wonderful, actually. I really liked the poem and how it flowed. It seemed to fit and I like the children.

~Jenny
Tatharwen Took chapter 1 . 5/23/2006
Wow, I really like this! It's so sweet to think of Faramir and Eowyn's great-great-grandchildren hearing their story for the first time. It's so sad, too; I will admit, it nearly made me cry during the poem.

Especially the line: "And her name faded to nothing but the anguished cry of a brother."

That line really touched me, and I kept seeing the scene from The Return of the King where Eomer finds Eowyn after the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. It fits perfectly.

Also, I noticed your spelling and grammar was perfect, another nice thing. So much fanfiction out there is full of mistakes and annoying misusage, but this fic is really nice in that way and your word choices complement the story well. Keep writing!

~Tatharwen Took~