Reviews for Cup of Joy
katherine-with-a-k chapter 38 . 6/21
Hi Elouise,

I just read Jane of Lantern Hill for the first time last night and felt so blessed and happy to find such an unexpected treasure. I was immediately hungry for more and scoured the internet in the wee smas hoping to find something about the unfinished sequel Maud had begun. It wasn't until this morning that it occurred to me to look here and oh! I can't tell you how happy you've made me. This story was perfect, you are such a masterful, generous and wise storyteller. I'm in awe of your ability, knowledge and skill. It all read so effortlessly; there wasn't one false note, I felt as though I had found the book Maud must have written. Thank you so much for this story, to me it will always be The Sequel. You truly have the most wonderful gift, and I would be interested to know if you ever pursued writing professionally, because I would love to read your books.

Things I especially adored:

Jane having her moment with her grandmother. Much needed but rightly understated

Jane's relationship with her mother and other women (Em, Cam, Mrs Kane). Lantern Hill was very much a celebration of father-daughter love and this story is a lovely companion to that, celebrating mother-daughter love.

The growing love Jane has for her Lakeside Gardens house (But she hasn't named it yet!)

For making Jody beautiful inside and out

For the mysterious story behind Mr Kendall and Mrs Kane (a brilliant subplot that had me wondering to to the end)

For providing a very interesting character in Colby. I liked him a lot, but what I liked more was that I never felt Jane was 'blind' to her feelings. I agree with her; April love causes too many headaches -hold out for the real thing, Jane!

For your stirring and beautiful descriptions of the beauty of a Toronto winter. I loved that Jane came to enjoy those as much as her Island summers.

For the Fords (bliss!)

For the deliciously unexpected but utterly believeable October romance

For your wise and winning discussions on jealousy, selfishness, and love. Thank you for resolving Jane's relationship with Irene so perfectly. They may never true friends but they do at least understand each other.

And for everything else, the deft dialogue, the fun, the joy -yes the title is perfect- the breezy, skillful, vivacious writing. I am in awe of your talent and your goodheartedness.

Thank you again!
Guest chapter 1 . 10/9/2016
I've just found this and read it with delight! I love Jane of Lantern Hill and have reread it recently. Well done on your fiction so true to the style and a lovely sequel! Thank you xx
boaflower664 chapter 1 . 1/26/2015
cool story
Kiri chapter 14 . 3/5/2014
I love that you've brought in Rilla and Kenneth! It brought a tear to my eye!
tanseynz chapter 38 . 9/29/2013
I LOVE it - you've caught the real Jane brilliantly. It's always been one of my favourite books and this sequel was such a pleasure. Thank you so much for your detailed work.
MuggleCreator chapter 38 . 8/20/2013
Interesting! :)
Deco chapter 38 . 7/20/2013
This is very good, and as close to LMM's style as I've seen. I greatly enjoyed reading it.
Deco chapter 37 . 7/20/2013
It's Mrs. Harrison in embryo!
Deco chapter 36 . 7/20/2013
Don't think I agree with the notion that people can't be spoiled by love. It depends...
Deco chapter 35 . 7/20/2013
Betting the baby will be a complete tomboy and absolutely uninterested in keeping house.
Deco chapter 34 . 7/20/2013
Jane might well be very intimidating older sister...
Deco chapter 33 . 7/20/2013
She'll be matchmaking at her own funeral.
Deco chapter 32 . 7/20/2013
At this point in history, they probably *would* mind Jody's history...Montgomery herself certainly would have, ironically enough.
Deco chapter 31 . 7/20/2013
And her parents got married young...
Deco chapter 30 . 7/20/2013
Jane is never going to learn about matchmaking...