Reviews for Ghosts of the Past
Adenn666 chapter 6 . 8/31/2013
I could handle using the ARC name but I couldn't make myself keep reading after seeing the word Mandalorians in here, wasn't a bad piece of work but couldn't keep reading. Well I did see what sounded like them deciding to make their own versions of Clones and that killed it even more for me. I'm probably in the minority here but I suggest leaving Star Wars in the Star Wars universe and being a little more original with ideas and naming. Again, other than those two things this was good.
J.H.K. Fairmoans chapter 1 . 6/16/2013
Wonderful set of stories you've got! The story is gripping, characters are realistic and well-developed. You get really wrapped up in these stories! When does the 3rd part in the series come out?!
Idalia chapter 23 . 11/3/2012
A...mazing. I'm super excited to head on to read your sequel now. To say I was hooked is an understatement. A few hours sitting at a computer staring at a screen can make both back and eyes quite sore, but it was worth the pain. To see how well this one is written, I can only imagine how well the next one is.
SierLeAn chapter 23 . 1/24/2012
ok when i first read this i was NOT expecting those killings or the ARC trooper to be sonic actually at first i thought it was shadow but when you spoke about green eyes when his visor broke i started peicing it together, you were VERY detailed in this and i ended up squirming at the visuals youcreated, i mean it's good im just saying that its very detailed, so yeah this is a very good fic and i give you two thumbs up!
Thomas Holmes II chapter 10 . 12/13/2011
Why do they keep calling Robotnik 'Julian'?

By the way, LOVE THIS STORY!
jerry101 chapter 3 . 8/2/2010
EVIL! An exellelant evil chapter. I loved how you ended his life. honostly though, I wasn't expecting for the warrior to be sonic. But anyways exellent chapter. For making it evil, Mr. Evil salutes you!
Asher Tye chapter 23 . 5/5/2010

I'm not usually one gravitate towards the whole "darker and edgier" thing but this was a fantastic read. You really have a handle on the characters and the plot was exciting. And the twist at the end... blew me away. You are a master of the craft.
DbKiT chapter 12 . 2/2/2010
Good chapter. I liked the irony of that last sentence. I remember earlier when Sally tried to tell her father that Knothole was just a place.
DbKiT chapter 10 . 2/2/2010
I like this story. It's pretty intense.
TailsLovesCosmo chapter 22 . 1/31/2010
You seem to especially hate Tails and Amy. The maiming's were unnecessary and clearly meant for shock value.
Portrait of a Scribe chapter 23 . 1/14/2010
AWESOME story! It was all spectacular, though I have to confess, my favorite part was at the end where Antoine kneed Geoffrey in the balls. That was awesome, and I totally cheered out loud when I read about it. The only thing I would like to know is if you have any pictures of any of the armor that you described. I'd be very interested in Sonic/Norrack's Aratech Mark VI battle suit, as well as his new, altered appearance. But again, great job, and I'm out to read the sequel, now!
The Writer Of Fate chapter 23 . 8/7/2009
Impressive, just like the sequal, you know how to keep one riveted to the story. I like how you took a few things from the Star Wars series, and the things from the Halo series, like the missle-slap from the book, 'Fall of Reach'. Unless I'm wrong, that IS where you got the inspiration for it, right? And don't get me started on the Jackhammers, those are pure Halo right there. I truly enjoyed this story and its sequal, though I'm saddened that the third of this series does not appear to be in progress, nor does it seem to ever be written. I do wish for you to finish this marvelous series, but in the end, if you so wish to discontinue it, it is your decision, and I shall respect that.

-End Transmission-
Ryan Duran chapter 23 . 7/1/2009
Read the entire fic in one day. Very very interesting. All the characters handled perfectly. Excellent portrayals,even though I'm a fan of modern combat involving current technology, I couldn't help but enjoy. And I very much like the appearance of Shadow here, as a manipulative figure, the way I've always seen him, though he reminds me a bit of a sith lord...oh Darth Shadow, has a ring to it. And did I recognize the name Brianna?

For some reason I was able to see Norrak being Sonic all along. And why to I have the sneaking feeling that Shadow wants to create a clone army?
Caleb Nova chapter 23 . 6/24/2009
I suppose the sequel showcases the showdown of the two Jedi hedgehogs. I'm not sure how to feel about that. Sonic without his sonic spin just isn't the same.

I'm equally conflicted about this story. On one hand it was well written, and I enjoyed a number of different parts of it. The opening scenes of Freedom Fighters hitting key points in Robotropolis were particularly involving, if slightly misleading. I had thought the story would be a darker, more guerrilla-based take on SatAM and Archie continuity. It had promise, enough that I was willing to stay with it despite the removal of its best character early on.

Unfortunately I really feel that ultimately Sonic's actions as Norrack eliminated the necessary empathy required for a protagonist character, misguided or not. Killing him may have been too convenient. Letting him live brings up a host of other problems. I think his self-imposed exile may have been the more realistic approach given the path of the story. He's not the same person he used to be, so it makes sense. His dying won't make things better, nor is life so neat in delivering closure, so I applaud you for choosing a more difficult route.

But here's the catch. Sonic is irreparably damaged by his experience. He's not the same person anymore, and he never will be. That is realistic, and the only possible ending for a situation like that. But it also sabotages the only reason I would read this story in the first place: because I was looking for fanfiction about Sonic the Hedgehog. I don't really care what happens to him at this point. Slaughtering all of those good guys just doesn't work for me, for Sonic's character, because Sonic is not an *anti-hero*. If Sonic was a Clint Eastwood character, the whole Norrack thing could be shrugged off because the dude was always kind of a bastard, just one that happened to be on the right side. An anti-hero is by nature only slightly, or perhaps not at all, morally superior to the antagonists. Sonic isn't one of those. He's a hero, with a capital H, in the classical sense. Turning him into Norrack, for me, destroyed the basic foundations of his character. Dramatic, perhaps. But ultimately uninteresting for someone wanting to read about Sonic.

The constant taking of Star Wars and Predator elements also bothered me, I thought it was distracting more than anything else. They felt grafted on to the Sonicverse foundations, not particularly fitting or needed. All the lightsabers and cortosis and Mandalorians could have been replaced with your own equivalents or already existing Sonic lore without much trouble. Like I said, I think references certainly have their place, but maybe not an extended love letter to another fandom that does detriment the story at times. If you're going to write a crossover, just go all the way.

I feel compelled to continue onward to the sequel if only to see if whatever your concept of redemption is can restore my interest in the character. I suppose there will always be Sally, if nothing else.

If this review has seemed unduly harsh, just be aware I'm not fond of smiley emoticons or the ever ubiquitous LOL, so I don't have any of the common internet means to soften a critique. Many of the things you incorporated into your fiction were not to my personal taste, but that's the extent of it. I don't hold any personal distaste for you yourself, and as I've said, you are a fine writer. You have a flair for action choreography, though you do perhaps devote a little too much chapter space to it to the detriment of character development. Then again, this was primarily an action story, so that's to be expected.
Caleb Nova chapter 22 . 6/24/2009
Interested to see if you can make the reader continue to care. Sonic's so far past the moral event horizon he probably doesn't remember what it looked like when he blazed past in a gory blur. I'm not sure I buy into the tired idea that death redemption, but I do wonder if there's any other logical course for the character. He can't live with what he's done, and neither can anyone else. The price that's paid for being turned into a faster version of the Predator, skinning and all. I did find myself hoping that it would turn out to be someone else beneath the armor, and the green eyes were a red herring to indicate what was the very predictable twist (not to mention your dedication to graphically describing the evisceration of Norrack's victims seemed specifically designed to destroy any audience sympathy for the character), but I guess not. At the very least, kudos for dodging convention by killing the (formerly) main antagonist off screen, so to speak.