Reviews for Winning His Love
Caprichoso chapter 1 . 1/3/2013
First of all, the action here is intense, vivid, and perfectly paced. You accomplished your goal beautifully. I'll be referring to your story whenever I dip a toe into writing an action sequence like this.

Secondly, I think a lot of reviewers aren't getting two things:

Starfire is most definitely a warrior, born and raised, and the change in armor helped shift her psyche back to that. She's not happy-go-lucky because this ceremony doesn't call for that. While I'm not entirely sure cruelty is in her blood, I can see her taking satisfaction in a well-fought battle and an honorable wound.

More importantly, of course Batman would win in an all-out life-or-death fight; he's trumped pretty much every major villain and a good number of the top-tier superheroes. But this isn't about that. This is a sparring match where you put up a good fight and look for the chance to bow out and make everyone happy. She broke his arm, but even decades after this he fights through horrendous injuries and comes out on top. He could have escaped, but he didn't want to escape. He wanted her to marry his son.

You have an amazing piece here, and I'm glad I stumbled upon it.
Broken Sword of the Morning chapter 1 . 5/3/2008
It's a nice idea, though more fitting of Blackfire. Your Starfire is out of character. She's not a cruel person, and certainly wouldn't "smile cruelly".

Also, there is no way, not in a million years, that she could've taken down the Batman.

Excellent writing, by the way.
Chaos Dragon chapter 1 . 8/14/2007
for some reason i can totally see this happening. great oneshot; hope you won.

~cd
K9 the First chapter 1 . 3/19/2007
*chuckles* Bravo. A very interesting portrayal of these two characters.
BLIvorySS chapter 1 . 2/1/2007
Awesome! Who knew Star had it in her? Well, I guess she was more Koriand'r in this story than Starfire, if that makes any sense:D.

Anyways, great job showing a side of Star that we rarely get to see. I must say that I quite enjoyed this 'femme fatale' Starfire:D. I am curious to know where Batman picked up the trivia on Tamaranian culture...maybe one day we'll find out?

Once again, incredible writing!

-Liss
Musa Rox chapter 1 . 11/2/2006
o...k...

a LIL freaked out. Starfire's seriously OOC. But it's ... pretty good. Just... scary
dr.evil99 chapter 1 . 5/31/2006
Why did it take me so long to review this? Because I'm a lazy bum.

You're getting some comments that Star is OOC. Ignore them-they know not of whence they speak. Actually, she's just back to her roots, which I love. We got to see a bit of that on the show in the episode "Go," and i love seeing it back here. Star's fun when her warrior side is allowed to shine through.

And the idea of a courtship ritual involving combat makes perfect sense, knowing about the comic version of Tamaranean culture. Strengh means a lot to them, and a prospective mate would want to prove themselves to the clan elders of the one they choose. Good thinking, there.

I'm not surprised in the least that Batman knows Tamaranean culture. He's Batman.

Which brings us to the fight itself... I've always been envious of your action sequences. I'd love for the ones I write to move and flow like this. I have to force them, sometimes, but this seems effortless. And I also like how Star won't let Bats take the easy way out... she won't let him dishonor Robin, even if it's not intended.

Just splendid work, top to bottom.
t-titansfan chapter 1 . 5/26/2006
Starfire may have acted differently than she normally does, but that definitely sounds like the amount of adamance she would throw into a situation regarding Robin (though i would not have imagined anyone on the right side of the law referring to Batman as a coward). i really don't understand why you keep insisting on saying things like "rough stab" or "not your forte." you seem to write action as well as just about anything else you apply your mind to.
Musarox chapter 1 . 5/25/2006
I really love all your work. This is awesome, but I really wanted to compliment you on your other stories. Your BBRae, Seven Years' Bad Luck in One Day is my absolute favorite fic. I love how you made the story so real and passionate. It was as good as Harry Potter even (well...). And you made the characters so real and life like! It was amazing. This is totally great too, but I prefered that one. Starfire seems kind of out of character. It's odd to see her so fighting furious.

A Woman Scorned made me cry, it was so good! I felt so terrible for Raven, and I hated Terra and Beast Boy with a passion for a while. I didn't know if you were still checking reviews for those, so I figured I'd just review this.

Your other ones were great too, these just stuck in my mind. Anyway, I LOVE your work. Have you ever considered writing proffesionally? Or publishing something? I've published two things in magazines, and I'm only 14 and they weren't nearly as good! (they were really just a poem and a short story)

THINK ABOUT IT! YOU"RE AWESOME!
longhairedhorse chapter 1 . 5/25/2006
wow you go star! she ooc but who said that was a bad thing. Great one shot!
Merry Monarch chapter 1 . 5/24/2006
Awesome! I'm glad Starfire kicked Ol'Bats ass. Good one-shot.
Kayasuri-n chapter 1 . 5/24/2006
Ah... This was good. Interesting idea, that the lasses must fight their fiance's da's, before they can even be engaged to be married... Of COURSE Bat knows Tamarian! He's Batman!

Only one thing creeps me out in this... Tamarian metal has a brain? ::shudders:: Ep!
Lambbaby chapter 1 . 5/24/2006
Wanna know a secret? I sort of forgot about my own challenge. I've been so busy trying to write a sequel to my Jinx piece and working on my Brain and Mallah piece that I completely forgot. However this lovely piece has just help spur me in the direction of writing it.

The action flowed very well and realy pulled this story also helped to showcase the Kori that most people forget exists. The warrior princess.I like this idea of a fight for the one you love. It's something I can see Kori doing as opposed to anything else. Very nicely done.
CalliopeMused chapter 1 . 5/24/2006
Starfire? Serious? You have an atypical start before you use "fetid" in a sentence- I think you just lost about nine tenths of the usual fan base. Everyone who understands the words, however, appreciates the vocabulary. Her quarry- hm. If I didn't have a little starting knowledge (like Doc's rants about how great this is and how you had to finish it), that would be ambiguous enough.

I like the warrior side to Starfire- that doesn't show often. Hm- some large cylinder. I wonder what that could ever be, shooting light into the sky (I would even assume with the silhouette of a bat in the middle) to call somebody.

Of course Batman- I mean, the mysterious stranger with a raspy voice, cape, and the generally intimidating figure to people who are not Koriand'r- knows about the Terek'shok Duel. He knows random things like that.

And- action. This is one of the action sequences I'll be reading again. Action is much harder than dialogue (for me, at least), so I'll admire anything half as good as this. Batman may be very good- but she's an alien. She has superstrength, flight, starbolts, light, various other advantages- and he still came close to winning.
Audley chapter 1 . 5/24/2006