Reviews for For Want of a Mother
LaRue Of Lantern Waste chapter 1 . 8/19/2010
I really liked this story even if it was really short. actually the simpleness of it all makes it even better. And good idea with the whole Mrs. Beaver thing.
King Caspian the Seafarer chapter 1 . 12/2/2007
This was really good! I like how you explored some of the unseen ways of how Lu and the others might have missed England. I can imagine how hard it must be for them to lose first their father and then their mother. Great idea with the flowers. I can just imagine Mrs. Beaver. ;)
Kelev chapter 1 . 4/30/2007
Rather cute. _
Lady Aescwyn chapter 1 . 4/18/2007
Wow, I loved it! I even got a lil misty-eyed... I like how you made it fluffy with out incest. (Koinu-chan16 growls and kills incest)

And many thanks for the review on my story :)

(runs off to read more of your one-shots)
No-one12345678 chapter 1 . 3/3/2007
Aw! I went "Aw" so many times when I read this! It's so sweet!

Lucy's so lucky to have Peter! _
blerghy chapter 1 . 11/26/2006
That's sweet! :)
Samantha Sterling chapter 1 . 9/8/2006
I absolutely adore sibling bonding fics and this is one of my favorites. Great job! :c)
Francienyc chapter 1 . 7/25/2006
I just stumbled across this story, and I thought it was *great*. The last line totally made me tear up, and Peter and Lucy's dialogue is so very in character. I also liked that you explored a sibling relationship that is actually very canon but rarely gets any fanfiction airtime, what with all the Peter/ Susan or Peter/ Edmund stuff out there. For the most part, the dialogue was very subtle but carried some weight-you knew what the characters were feeling without them having to say everything in words. The only place that broke down a little was when they let all their problems come spilling out of their mouths in one go, creating a sort of artificial confession. If that was slowed down just a little, this story would be absolutely perfect.
InactiveNotUsed chapter 1 . 7/9/2006
I like this a great deal - it's a really nice idea indeed, and it's well-handled.

I think the ages you give are just about right - I've seen a few versions, but I think to within a year or so of what you've done is fine.

The little touches I really love are the idea of taking flowers to Mrs. Beaver - one of the few females in the chronicles and the obvious candidate for the title of "honourary mother".

I think that this work could be expanded and worked on - the theme of motherhood is a relatively important one in Narnia. We have a fair number of female characters, but motherhood (i.e. adult femininity) is never really made explicit. Caspian's mother is gone, the Star's Daughter dies.

We also have characters like Susan and the two Witches (Jadis and the Lady of the Green Kirtle) who are very de-femininised by the end of their respective stories - none of them have children and they take on the role of the Circe-type seductress, sucking in rather than giving out.

I think that your excellent handling of the reactions of Lucy (and, also, of Peter!) to the absence of a mother could be expanded into being a larger treatment of the theme of motherhood and adult femininity in Narnia. We see, especially in the movie, how Susan is "trying to be mum" and that could provide a companion piece to this, or a reworking.

Great work.
hollybridgetpeppermint chapter 1 . 5/27/2006
aw, love it!

starryeye23 chapter 1 . 5/26/2006
aw...lucy and peter fluff! soo sweet! love the story! looking forward to more goodies from you!
acacia59601 chapter 1 . 5/26/2006
This was so cute! I liked how it kept Peter and Lucy in character. I truly think they would have missed their family in England much more than is mentioned in the stories or movie.
Almyra chapter 1 . 5/25/2006
That was very, very cute. You captured Lucy very well, and I loved Peter's comforting tone. I love reading Peter/Lucy interaction - it's obvious (from the books and lots of other places) that each is the other's favorite sibling.

The idea of giving Mrs. Beaver flowers was so great! Would you write a little viggie about that? I'd love it (let me know if you do)! It was nice how you worked Susan in there, too.

Great job!
Capegio chapter 1 . 5/25/2006
gurgles happily
elecktrum chapter 1 . 5/25/2006
I love Peter's suggesting of giving flowers to Mrs. Beaver. Not only is it sweet, but I can vividly imagine the whole scene with a very flustered Mr. and Mrs. Beaver delighting in the chance to make a fuss.