Reviews for Stalwart and True
DeepBlueJoy chapter 6 . 4/28/2015
A heartbreaking story. But yes, I hated the characterizations of Giles from season 6 on and they never read true. They should have killed him off earlier, or given him a really good reason for leaving, like a dying parent or something. No matter what he thought about Spike, his trying to kill him and pairing up with a stranger to betray Buffy in particular was completely out of character. But no one was in character in season 7. Dawn would never have thrown her sister out into a demon infested city no matter how angry she was... and Xander and Willow would never have sided with strangers... Only Faith of all people didn't betray Buffy... she didn't want the job b/c she knew it was really a dangerous one and a hard one... something the writers seemed to think the others wouldn't understand. They faced off against Glory. They would have faced off against anything. Even when they didn't get on (season 4) they stood together. That's the real scooby way. I liked how they killed the monster together... but I wanted YOUR Giles back. I kept hoping there was some way they could do CPR and save him, but of course, CPR really doesn't work that way... you need to be there and even then it's not magic like on TV.

Good work, though you broke my heart.

Blue

Blue
Addicted1 chapter 6 . 10/23/2012
While I would have been devastated if Giles had been killed off, you're character assassination point is accurate. Also, Tony Head, being one of the better actors on that show, would have rocked as the incarnation of evil. Thank you for this interpretation of Season 7 and giving us the Giles vs. the First scene that was so blatantly omitted from the show. Book-ending your story with the Lie to Me dialouge was a nice touch that was highly effective. That moment between Giles and Buffy always seemed to be what Giles wanted to be able to give her. Thank you for this!
Caellach Tiger Eye chapter 6 . 1/20/2010
While I get what you're saying - and agree that Giles didn't get proper resolution in the series - I'm still hurt you killed him off. I'm hurt that NOBODY seems willing to write a story where he and Buffy reconcile after the events of that horrible episode LMPTM. It's one of the reasons I HATE Season 7. At least the Season Eight comics had them reconcile recently, but still ...

Your scene between Giles and the First was brilliant and really summed up the character of Giles so tragically well. The story as a whole has the potential to have been one of the strongest of episodes, with a brilliant style and structure.

But I still don't like it - I love Giles too much to see him die. I know it might be 'natural character progression', but I can't help seeing the character as quintessential to the series - not to mention, killing of parental figures is an OTT cliche in the buildungsroman genre which I'm getting SICK of.

You're a good writer, don't get me wrong - I've just been put into a grim mood by this fic. *Sigh* It probably comes from searching for a Buffy-Giles family fic where they reconcile post-LMPTM, only to be bombarded with - *shudder* - Buffy/Giles ROMANCE ... URGH! Not to mention that I'm looking for something to make me feel GOOD, not depressed ...

Sorry if this review put you off - I'm just disappointed. Good luck with future endeavours.

gODSPEED!
Jopot chapter 6 . 4/16/2008
I agree, I concur, as Giles would say.

I really didn't like the role, or lack there of, that Giles played in the end. Buffy was all bossy and he was just as good as gone or invisible and ineffective. Giles was no more than just another regular guy when he should have made more of an impact or has more influence. And killing him off would have exactly that deep impression on the show. Excellent fanfiction. Love it! You are a wonderful writer. I've met Tony a few times and actually,a bit of humor would be more like him too.
Charmed8620 chapter 6 . 12/8/2007
This is an amazing story! It made me really sad, but I think that it definetely gave Giles the dignity that he deserved and showed his importance to Buffy and the gang far more than the series managed to do.
Ernil i Pheriannath chapter 6 . 6/23/2007
*Sniff* I just love this! Its beautiful! So damn sad! I love Giles, *sigh* you made me cry! Lovely writing though! Very well done, thanks for the wonderful read!

Ernil xx.
Serrafina chapter 6 . 12/12/2006
I read this story over on buffyworld, and thought it was awesome except for a few things. 1) It doesn't feel like season 7. Where are the Potentials that are filling up Buffy's house? Spike and Andrew are also conveniently missing, not to mention the fact that Willow left in Lies My Parents Told Me to get Faith. 2) This isn't really a problem, just a matter of personal preference. I would've preferred to see Buffy and Giles reaching an understanding without his death-i.e., I would've liked to see how they got to the stage they had reached by the end of the show. All that said, this is exceptionally well written.
Anonimity Is A Virtue chapter 6 . 9/22/2006
That was... Pretty. Darn. Awesome. I'm still speechless. And crying my eyes out, thank you very much.

I've never read a FirstGiles story, so when I realized that Giles was dead... oh man, it still gives me the creeps!

Also, I want to thank you for making Giles a man again. Sure, a dead one, but still, a whole lot better than the wounded dwarf with the mystical strength of a doily at the end of season 7.
J chapter 6 . 7/27/2006
Well done. I agree that the Giles at the end of the series was disappointing. On the other hand, it was credible with how tired they all were, and so we have to forgive them some things - our need for goodbye often clashed with where they were at the time.

Nice ending.
J chapter 5 . 7/27/2006
Not going to say too much, but this is high quality.

Season 7 Buffy is problematic for me, as we realize that in many ways, the characters we love have, in a way, died, to be replaced by embittered versions of themselves - inevitable with their situation. You capture that very well.

And that's the best strength: you capture the dark side of the truth that the first presents very well, it was very insightful.

The other thing is that you write Anya fantastically, reminding me of why she was such a great character.
invis chapter 6 . 7/4/2006
I actually love the way you interspersed bits of Giles's letter into the fight scene. I could hear it as a voice over, making the teamwork ring even truer. If I were the cryin' sort, I'd have bawled my eyes out over this chapter. This was an absolutely superb story.
ivywatcher chapter 6 . 6/30/2006
Thank you. In some small way, you bandaged the wound that's been festering ever since Joss Whedon destroyed Giles half-way through season 7. The dignity and respect you gave him here (along with fulfilling Tony Head's pleas to be the bad guy for once!) really portrayed your love and understanding of the character.

The diary entry was a beautiful touch, especially the line in the first installment where he says, "If you are reading this and I am not dead, then you are being incredibly nosy, and should stop immediately." Such a classic Giles moment; the man still had his dry sarcasm even when he thought he was dying.

So you get a standing ovation from me for an all-around beautiful piece of work that should have been on the show in the place of "Lies My Parents Told Me." I might have liked season 7 if it had been. I look forward with great eagerness to your coming works, and I trust that I'll continue to be inspired by your intelligence and creativity for a long time to come. Cheers!
SallyKD chapter 6 . 6/29/2006
I can't believe I just cried at a story. I mean, real tears! That was lovely and I am so glad you finished it. I will certainly check out your site that you mentioned!
banduraqueen chapter 6 . 6/28/2006
That was an extremely touching chapter, especially the interaction between Buffy and Dawn. You made me tear up again. It was poignant without being trite or contrived. Buffy's speech hit just the right tone. I love the callback to "Lie to Me". The last lines of the diary entry were also very sweet. Also, the action sequence was very well done and "choreographed". Personally, I hate writing action, so I admire that.

Overall, I think you have written a TV-quality fic. The characters are all perfectly in-voice and it has a good, tight structure, and it's emotionally affecting with some great, great character moments.

Also, thanks for plugging the website. I will be posting the next chapter of Welcome to Ever After soon.
Teri chapter 5 . 6/28/2006