Reviews for Raising Kouryuu
Ale chapter 9 . 6/10/2015
Rereading this, and oh my goodness, poor Goku.

This story just breaks my heart all over again :(

Excellent writing job btw!
tanithlipsky chapter 20 . 8/31/2013
cool
Smexy Kitten chapter 20 . 5/9/2013
I don't know how to feel about this chapter. Yes everyone seems to be moving on, but it just feels so bittersweet, like there's a big hole or the proverbial elephant in the room that really shouldn't be there. I didn't like Sanzo being reincarnated that way since it took away from the real tragedy that befell the group and changed their family dynamic. (I do know that this is non-canon to your fic and I believe that it doesn't hurt your actual story in any way. I can't blame you for wanting to lighten the mood after those last few chapters though.) I completely agreed with Ale's review overall in terms of the story. I too had be expecting for Sanzo to come around, or due to this tragedy genre, that Goku would've been hurt or killed bringing Sanzo back. Sanzo's death totally enhanced the power of this story and made it much better than a happy ending. Again, this is a story that I won't likely forget any time soon.
Smexy Kitten chapter 19 . 5/9/2013
I don't think I can put any words together to explain how I feel about this story. This is the first fanfic in my 9 years of reading to actually make me cry; I applaud you very loudly for that. My heart was on the edge of its own seat more so than I ever was. I feel like the real victims in this tragedy are Sanzo and Goku; the poor kid suffered enough for the entire group and was powerless to do anything. I think I cried more for the son (Goku) losing his father (Sanzo) above all else. Ironically, I noticed some of Sanzo's traits rubbing off on Goku with his anger and impatience at the situation. As for Hakkai and Gojyo, don't even get me started with them. I felt so bad for Hakkai since it seemed he was the only one who practically (albeit with a lot of his own willpower) held everything together. The weight of the world was on his shoulders and he had to keep those shoulders up from start to finish, which can't have been an easy feat. Gojyo was totally the big brother who had to be the sturdy rock for the devastated parent (Hakkai). It broke my heart when he purposely chose to become the bad guy in order to protect the other two and I love him even more for that.

I can effectively say that you have me loving the Hwang/Nii pairing, but that doesn't change how much I hate Dr. Nii now. That selfish, perverted bastard ripped a family apart and turned their leader into something he totally wasn't. I feel like Sanzo died not knowing how much they meant to him (loved him), especially Goku. (I will say that you are right about the last chapter; I did want to hurt you for writing it, but I'm slowly getting over it :)...) Also, if I were in their shoes I think I would be angry that all of a sudden Dokugakuji wants to care, little good that will do for Gojyo and the others. I am happy that they are choosing not to continue the journey West since it really wouldn't make any sense to do so; I'm also happy that Hakkai and Gojyo will take Goku and the Maten sutra with them back East. My favorite line of it all was what Hakkai said: "Goku, the only people I care about are in this room." It was so final, yet so somber and comforting.

You definitely have a fan in me. Thank you for such a wonderfully angsty and heart-wrenching piece.
Ale chapter 20 . 4/17/2013
First off, even though I'm sad that it was a 'bad ending' I really did love the story. Actually, the 'bad ending' probably made the story 10x better even though it wasn't what I wanted/expected. I just kept waiting for Goku to save Sanzo or for Sanzo to not be able to go through with killing Goku and semi-snapping out of it. Wang's hints kinda helped me with thinking that (plus the fact that most of the stories on this site that I've read have happy ends Actually the majority of everything I've ever read had a reasonably happy end). I was expecting a happy end, and that made it even more bitter sweet when it ended the way it did. Though I really loved it too. It made everything more poignant. At least everyone's moving on, and maybe they can find Sanzo again if he reincarnates...
You said something about him being with Koumyo again and I had a sad thought about what if he can't remember him anymore. Or worse, he remembers everything and is horrified/shamed by everything that happened. I can't imagine how bad it would feel to have everything come back to him after he was already dead.
Everyone's reactions to the double death were so gut-wrenchingly sad. *sob* I wasn't expecting a sad story, but I certainly enjoyed it.
Oh yeah, I totally thought the thing in the bunny was like a seed or a DNA something to make a Nii/Hwang baby haha. I didn't even think of a scripture until I read the description on this chapter. The scripture definitely makes more sense.

(this is after I read this chapter, the above is before the chapter, but after reading your disclaimer thing at the top confirming that the events in this chapter aren't story-canon)

As far as this last chapter goes. It was ok. I liked seeing the others being able to move on. I liked hearing that Hwang probably would be able to finish everything where Nii left off (it was an even more satisfying conclusion for her imo). I didn't really like the Sanzo part, though. I understand where you were going with it, but I did feel that it took away from the story as a whole. Actually, I felt the whole tone of this last part sort of took away from the previous parts. I still loved the story as a whole though.

Anyway, awesome story, I really enjoyed it, especially the (to me) surprise ending. :D I'll be reading your other Saiyuki fics over the next few days. I hope they are as good as this one was!
Ale chapter 18 . 4/16/2013
Oh gosh, please no! I was expecting a happy ending. There's still two more chapters, so maybe...*doesn't hold breath*

If it is a 'bad ending' I have to say that it was super unexpected, and I actually like it! It made me gasp aloud haha. *sniffle*

Here's hoping the next two chapters will have something happy.

I somehow doubt Nii is actually dead, though...Though maybe...he is pretty crazy. But he's too cunning not to have a back-up plan...but he left his bunny behind and kissed Hwang...But it's Nii...Gaaah, I can see it panning out either way. I can totally see this being a preferred way for him to die (in his own mind), though.
Ale chapter 13 . 4/16/2013
Well that's an interesting plot twist. I didn't see that coming. I mean, I kinda did, but I definitely didn't see it coming this soon, you know. I like it. It was enough to make me pause me reading to comment haha.

While I'm here, I wanted to tell you that I'm really enjoying this story so far. It's not the most creative of plots, but I really love what you are doing with it (and I kinda love this kinda plot anyway haha). Little Kouryuu is really cute and Nii is as creepy as ever.

I liked the interactions between the characters. Gojyo and little Kouryuu was especially cute with the admiration of his hair/eyes and Gojyo's unfounded worries about the kid's reaction.

The parts where the had to lie got me increasingly tense until where Gojyo had to be the bad guy. That part was pretty sad, and I'm actually kinda glad that Goku punched him (even though it only made things worse).

I actually really like how you write Nii's parts. I haven't read too many fics that include him, and those that do tend to either gloss over him or mangle his character. You, however, make me really interested in what he has in store. I actually am somewhat enjoying the parts with him (even though I still don't like him or his actions haha). It's just that you write him so well and it keeps me guessing on what's going to happen. His interactions here (with his associates, not Kouryuu) are rather amusing (particularly with Hwang).

Um...there were several other aspects that I've enjoyed (like pacing, tone, and characterization), but I'm going to get back to reading now! Thanks for writing such a great story!
Jamaican Princess Rocquellan chapter 20 . 10/23/2011
This is an amazing story, I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Keep up the good work :)
Maetel chapter 20 . 7/26/2011
Oh, my Bob, that last extra special epilogue was amusing. Especially the part about Sanzo becoming a Dog in the end.

Anyways, loved the story. it's been a while since I let myself indulge in Saiyuki in any form, and this fic was a lucky find. Well written, depressing, and Nii... Oh that evil bastard. I was sad to see him die. Granted, knowing that Hwang got the scripture in this one was ever so amusing.

And I can so see the NiixHwang part. SO much chemistry between them.
ladopa chapter 20 . 2/1/2010
It was a great story but still super sad! I love the way you made Kouryu he was just too cute but the ending was way too sad for me, but i still enjoyed it.
LuoLiBei chapter 20 . 4/13/2009
Evil death fic of evilness! Pretty awesome and I'm glad it took me by surprise rather than expecting it the whole time and distancing myself in preparation of future pain. I wish I'd read this faster, I had a bit of a break between adorable kid and brainwashed adult which dulled the impact I think. You have great story ideas, I'm going to enjoy going through them all. :) Keep on writing!
NostalgiaS chapter 19 . 3/10/2009

WHY?
Jesse A. Harper chapter 2 . 10/3/2008
Oro... I firmly agree with Hakkai. This is not only troublesome, but it extends above and beyond that.

Nii should be shot. I think I'll do it... I'll have to use my shotgun though, or my rifle. I'm not any good with a pistol.
onlytomriddle chapter 20 . 8/27/2008
so i went to look at your other reviews, and, as i'd expected, you got a ton of really good ones. so i won't feel as bad about telling what i really thought of the story.

first, one good thing: it kept me reading. i'm not sure how, but it did. i read it all the way through, and i wanted to know what happened next. maybe just because it had Dr. Nii...i don't know.

i think Kouryuu as the child should've been much...pissier. he was too cute, too open with others, too friendly. Sanzo was an sour little brat when he was little, even before he had to kill people just to survive for several years. a cute sour little brat, but not quite as cute as you made him. you made him likeable to the point where it was OOC. i liked the Sanzo in the first chapter. he was spot on.

Nii's characterization, though basically the same (you should've made him more difficult to be around), seemed a little...simplistic compared to the manga. but no big complaints about him. he was okay. i'm glad he was in it a lot, and finally admitted to being a child-molester. lol.

it seemed to me that the rest of the Ikkou, after Kouryuu was kidnapped, kind of turned into the characters from "The Sun Also Rises." people just going around to random places and doing a lot of drinking and angsting. but i guess that's understandable. just wanted to say that.

the numerous mechanical errors (nothing major, just annoying) seemed to fit with the overly-casual narrative style. i'm glad you put in everyone's point of view, because it really added to the story, but sometimes the switches were unclear or too abrupt, and all the inner voices seemed to have the same "tone" to them. it felt as if someone else was speaking for them. if you intend to improve your writing (probably, i hope so.), the voice of your narrative is something you'll want to focus on. when done right, it makes for a really good read no matter what happens in the plot. if you don't get what i'm saying, just send a reply and i'll try to explain it better.

the ending, though unsatisfying, isn't really open to criticism, since no one can understand Nii, and Kouryuu wasn't in his right mind. however, i would like to ask what message you were wanting to send with it. did you just want to shock readers who always expect a happy ending (a valid message in literature), or did you want to say something else, if anything?

i was amused by the little Kouryuu/Yaone references. the Hwang/Nii hints, though...have to admit i'm not a fan. she's all over Koushuu, and she doesn't need to be in another pairing. oh well. you handled Hwang pretty well overall.

i'm glad we got to see Sanzo again, even if he is a dog! lol.
Gosurori-Otaku chapter 20 . 8/5/2008
Argh! No! The best Saiyuki fic I've read, and one of my favourite characters dies? Ah, I guess it could've been worse, at least Nii died, too. But it's a shame... it started off so light and ended so depressingly... :(