Reviews for One Way or Another
Arlad chapter 2 . 6/7/2006
OH NO! please tell me Hepahistion and Alexander will end up together? they may not have spent their childhood together, but Phai 'prepared for Alexander', learning what interested Alexander and everything... your story is superb, it has me on the edge of my seat! Thank you soo much for it, can't wait for the next update!
Norrsken chapter 1 . 6/7/2006
Many thanks for sharing this very intriguing AR story - and I'm especially proud of your dedicating it to me!

I hope your title suggests that Hephaestion at long last will be the very best friend to his Beautiful Golden One! Narcissus must not go between them. Quite a fresh and interesting concept, friendship between adults instead of the youthful bonds and fascination.

It's such a tragedy to see him want to know the young Prince better, only to be hampered by his own shyness - and most of all his overly protecting Mother. His secret fantasies are enticing and frustrating since they never come to pass. When he joins the army before the progress to the Granicus Amyntor has to persuade his stern Mother in a rather comical way.

“Listen to me, Mother. Listen to me, and look at him. He’s twenty-two years old. His legs are so long he could step over any city’s defensive walls, his shoulders are broad enough for two cuirasses, he’s strong, he’s clever and he’s very handsome and you can’t keep him prisoner here forever!”

Then he joins the army, and even if he's good at what he does he feels alienated and even kind of "mobbed out". Poor him, being called the "logistics bore"! It made me laugh, your picture about the Companions being put to sleep by his reports. Imagine,

"Philotas was now so deeply asleep he had begun to snore and Parmenion, rather than shaking him awake, was dozing quietly against his son’s shoulder."

I've sometimes enjoyed that kind of sleep myself during boring lectures - but it's most uncouth of them to snore during a lecture held by *my* Hephaestion!

All the best wishes and looking very much forward to next chapter,

/NorthernLight
angstman chapter 1 . 6/7/2006
I like this new plot. It is strange but also very interesting. But at least they had found each other at the end. Is Alexander's page try to seduce Hephaistion*grin*
Arlad chapter 1 . 6/6/2006
I'm LOVING this story, I'm so glad you posted it! It's a very interesting twist, to see how Hephaistion's and Alexander's relationship would have developed if they hadn't spent their childhood together... and I love how you portray Heaphaistion! Please update soon, can't wait to read more! Thank you for your story.
purple lolly chapter 1 . 6/6/2006
Great 1st chapter can't wait to see what happens nexts it looks like we may end up with a fight for Hephaistion's affections i know who my money is on ;)

Please update
Lysis chapter 1 . 6/6/2006
A really touching story, and very sad. I'm so glad this wasn't the way things ended for Hephaistion. As always with your writing though a lovely story so well told that one feels oneself drawn right into it. I'll look forward to the next chapter, I can't wait to see what happens with the Page or Alexander.
queen-isabell chapter 1 . 6/6/2006
*rumages around frantically*

Where's the next part? I need to read the next part!

LOL, wonderful story! Great start, I loved how you are building up suspense. It's a fantastic alternate "meeting" story, and terribly interesting. Update soon for my sanity!
the surly mermaid chapter 1 . 6/5/2006
Interesting start. I'm sure if Hephaestion was lonely all those years, so was Alexander. Narcissus' transparent charms are amusing but surely Hephaestion won't succumb! I look forward to reading more.
Baliansword chapter 1 . 6/5/2006
As always, I am intruiged and cannot wait to see where you will go next with this story. As always, I absolutely love your potrayal of Hephaestion thus far. Eager to read more, looking forward to it!

Baliansword
CoralDawn chapter 1 . 6/5/2006
This story is very interesting and off-the-beaten track. And even if you "scavenged" bits of it already for your other stories, it doesn't show at all. In fact, it is great to see the beautiful Narcissus "in action" seducing all the men of rank that he possibly can, and quite early too.

Hephaistion was quite a Mamma's boy when he was young! And who can blame him with such a Mamma? Gosh, the woman would have kept him tied to her apron strings till he was a hundred, if she had her way. I am guessing he was the only child. Amyntor couldn't stand up to her, even.

In this AU, though Alexander and Hephaistion were not childhood friends, and didn't really know each other, it seems that each had always felt a pull towards the other. And now as adults, Alexander has easily made him a Companion without even knowing him well. But with Alexander already King, and Hephaistion a relative stranger to other close friends, how will these two come together? Because they simply have to, it was destined by the gods themselves! Narcissus had better get out of the King's way! :)

Thanks for this great story and please update quickly!
Fredericka chapter 1 . 6/5/2006
A very enjoyable and fascinating glimpse into the creative process itself – learning how many of your characters were “born”, then further developed, before being “reborn” in later works. Thank you for sharing it. -Fredericka
Queendel chapter 1 . 6/5/2006
A new and interesting idea as to how Alexander and Heph developed a relationship. I found it a bit annoying that his mother wanted to tie him to her apron strings and not allow him to follow his destiny and get the education he deserved with Aristotle. I also found both Philotas and his father to be quite boorish and ill mannered.

I know that the Generals looked down on logistics and gathering of inventory, etc. but they should understand that, that was the heart of the army and without that activity, Alexander nor his army would not have been victorias, as no army could fight without weapons, on a hungry stomach, or left exposed to the elements.

So, Heph kept his virginity for Alexander and is now willing to lose it with Narcissus, who was so blatantly offering himself to him. Eager to see what happens as it looks as if Alexander, himself, may also be interested. Update soon.
42 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3