Reviews for Walk Like Men
jinxcat21 chapter 27 . 9/4/2021
I discovered this while on during an insanely boring day in which brain-rotting was the set goal. This gem had the effect of rekindling my interest in the original Star Wars trilogy/entire universe. My only wish is that this was a longer retelling. You did such an awesome job with the mythology and characters! I'm going to be rereading this many times in the future
Guest chapter 27 . 3/4/2021
Woah, I can’t even put into words how much I loved this.
The story is incredible and the theme of family is beautifully present without it being annoying or obvious. The small details of the Tusken culture sold me into falling in live with all the characters. Everything was really well thought through and organized.
I was always intrigued by the Tusken culture and came looking for fan fictions about it and this was the first one to not only hold my attention but blow me away!
Great job! I will reread this again and again! Thank you so much for blessing the world with your writing.
Vanessa Masters chapter 27 . 9/18/2020
Super job well done. Loved every minute of it!
Vanessa Masters chapter 26 . 9/18/2020
"I will not deny it," Vader said at last, lowering his weapon. "I destroyed your family, Skywalker. I as good as killed them."

The Emperor jerked as if struck by lightning. This wasn't what he had forseen!

Skywalker cocked his head to one side, almost animal-like, as he advanced forward a wary step. "Then tell me how they died."

"By the power of the dark side." His voice was lower than usual, heavy with grief. "Your mother and I were very much in love... a love forbidden by the Jedi Order. When I had a vision of her dying in childbirth, I sought to help her. But I could not go to the Jedi - they would have expelled me from the Order had they discovered our bond. And their only counsel was to accept what was coming, to not fear the loss I sensed." His weapon-arm hung loosely at his side. "I could not do it. I could not bear to lose her. I had to save her... and the Emperor promised that the power of the Sith could save her from death."

"Skywalker, strike him down!" cried the Emperor, the thrill flooding his body now one of terror. "He's only distracting you!"

"No," Skywalker insisted. "Let him finish."

"Your mother came to me on the fire world of Mustafar," Vader continued. "She begged me to turn from the path I had taken. In my rage, thinking she had sided with the Jedi, my new enemies, I attacked her." Silence, and had the Emperor not known any better he would have thought Vader was collecting himself before proceeding. "The moment she died... the Jedi I had once been died with her. In that moment, I destroyed Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader."

Skywalker stared, his weapon wavering.

"You see?" the Emperor said shrilly, jumping at the chance to salvage the situation. "He admits it! He killed your mother and destroyed your father! For that he deserves death! Kill him now!"

Skywalker's gaze moved from Vader to the Emperor, then back to Vader. Then he lowered his blade to the side.

"No," he told the Sith Master. "I see the truth now. I feel the truth now. And I won't kill him. I will not shed the blood of my family. It isn't the Tusken way."

"Chaos take the Tusken way!" Palpatine swore. "You are not Tusken!"

Too late the Emperor realized he'd made a serious error. For Skywalker bristled at that accusation.

"Not Tusken by blood," he said coolly, "but Tusken by heart and soul. These will always be my people. You cannot change that."

—-

Hurray! The emperor slain.

Vader lives, but leaves, sad. But maybe one day, be reunited.
Vanessa Masters chapter 25 . 9/18/2020
Oh boy, oh dear! Oh wow!
Vanessa Masters chapter 24 . 9/18/2020
Yoda," said Skywalker at last, "I have to help Wind-Dancer. I can't let her die. It's not the Tusken way."

Yoda's ears jerked once, as if trying to be sure of what they had just picked up. "Skywalker, Tusken you are not..."

"My blood may be outsider," Skywalker retorted. "But I have Tusken in my spirit. I have learned much from the outsiders, but most of all I've learned that their way is not always the best way... and that I cannot abandon everything I have learned from my people." He met his master's gaze confidently, maybe a little defiantly. "We do not abandon members of our tribe. Not when we can do something to help. Nor do we forsake ties of blood. I go to help her. I will return and finish what I have begun... but I must help my sister."

Han clapped his shoulder with a grin. "Finally a little common sense prevails here! I'll go prep the Falcon. Get together whatever you need and go haul Artoo out of the weeds, then we'll go. Chewie, give me a hand! Goldenrod, make yourself useful!"

"Oh bother," Threepio huffed, sounding rather miffed. "Just when I think I've gotten used to a planet..."

Yoda lowered his head with a defeated sigh. "Go if you must, Skywalker. But if follow through with this fool's venture you do, know that I cannot help you until you return."

"Yes, Master," Skywalker replied. A sudden weight of apprehension formed in his gut - was he truly doing the right thing? But he pushed it aside. He had not been able to help Leia... but perhaps he could help Wind-Dancer. Perhaps he could set some things right for his tribe.

"Remember, fear, anger, aggression, vengeance, passion... the dark side are they. Fall not on them for aid, or suffer Vader's fate you will. Trust in the Force, follow its guidance. And good luck."

"I thought you Jedi said there was no such thing as luck," Han quipped, ducking into the Falcon.

Yoda glared after the smuggler. "And that one's back watch. His mouth the death of him may be someday."

Oh thank goodness someone had sense and Wind-dancer is freed and to tell Vader.
Vanessa Masters chapter 23 . 9/18/2020

Oh boy, so Palpatine wants to have vader and Luke meet, and maybe kill each other. O.o
Vanessa Masters chapter 22 . 9/18/2020
Oh no! O.o
Vanessa Masters chapter 21 . 9/18/2020
Oh That duplicitous Palpatine!

—-

"I have no desire to lead the Empire," she informed him. "Find another stooge to play your puppet."

A slight rumble echoed from his vocalizer as he tried to hold back a laugh and failed. "You have spirit, your Highness. I admire that. But you cannot play this game forever. You cannot stand by my side as my daughter without joining the Empire. It will only mean your death."

She fell silent. She had no desire to join the Empire... and yet she couldn't leave him. Despite all he had done, he was her father. She had already lost her family when Alderaan had been destroyed. She couldn't lose anyone else.

"What about Skywalker?" she asked.

"We will find your brother together," Vader promised. "We will be a family again. No one - Empire, Rebellion, Jedi, or any other force in the galaxy - can tear our family apart again."

She inhaled deeply, shutting her eyes. This was no idle choice - this would affect not only her life, but Skywalker's. He still saw Vader as the Black One, a dark creature who threatened his tribe and had killed his father. If he ever realized his sister had joined forces with him, it could very well turn him against her. And he was a Jedi, or at least training to be one. Son or not, Vader was sworn as a Sith to kill him. The only way to keep him safe...

She released her breath in a sigh and opened her eyes. "One condition, and I'll join you."

"Name it," he ordered.

"Don't pursue Skywalker. Do with me what you will, just leave my brother alone. I won't see him hurt."

Vader considered that a long moment, then gave a slow nod. "Agreed." He stood. "The repairs have been finished. We will leave for Corusant shortly." He reached out and rested a hand on her shoulder. "Welcome back, my child."

She shrugged away from him. "Just go."

He lowered his hand. "Very well." He turned and left the room.

She stared back out the window, feeling something in her heart shatter. She had just severed ties with the Rebellion, the cause she had dedicated her life to. They would never have her back among their ranks now. She could only pray that Vader would honor the deal... and that her sacrifice on Skywalker's behalf would not be in vain.

—-

Oh, if the Emperor has his way. It might be.
Vanessa Masters chapter 20 . 9/18/2020
Oh no! Palpatine goi to corrupt the Tuskens! O.o to get to Luke.

And Luke finds Yoda and we learn Chewie knew Yoda before...Wookiee do live long lives.
Vanessa Masters chapter 19 . 9/18/2020
Leia was sitting on the edge of the bed, staring blankly at the wall, clutching her arms as if freezing cold. Her eyes were red and swollen, and her hair was in frightful disarray, working itself loose from the braids and spraying out in all directions. When she heard his entrance she glanced up at him, and her eyes and face both hardened into a mask of hate.

"Get out," she said quietly but firmly. "You have nothing I want. What more can you do to me? What more can you take from me?"

Vader didn't answer, but moved to sit beside her. She made no move to attack him or to flinch away, though she did offer him a hard glower. He felt a smile tug at his lips beneath the mask. So like her mother...

Which reminds me...

"This belongs to you," he told her, and he opened his hand and offered the item within to her.

She looked at the holo projector in his hand, then back at him suspiciously.

"If I intended to harm you, I would have done so by now," he assured her. "Take it."

Hesitantly she took it and thumbed it on... and gasped as an image of Padme appeared. Despite himself, Vader felt a lump form in his throat. She had been so beautiful, an angel in the darkness, a warrior-maiden who embodied both softness and steel, gentleness and passion... just like the young woman seated before him...

"She was very much like you," Vader told Leia. "Strong-willed, totally dedicated to her beliefs and passions, loyal to those she loved. And yet she was kind as well." He looked away. "I wonder if your brother shares some of those traits as well..."

"Skywalker... Luke has a good heart," Leia replied quietly. "He's trusting and kind... but when he puts his mind to something, there's no dissuading him." She deactivated the holo. "I won't see you corrupt him."

"I have no desire to corrupt your brother - my son," he replied. "I only want to bring him back. I want both of my children back."

"Then you shouldn't have lost us in the first place," she snapped. "What happened to you? What happened to the man who should have been my father? And what did you do to my mother?"

Her words struck him like gunfire, and he had to look away. "That is for another time..."

"No," she insisted. "I have to know. I have a right to know. Just as much as you have the right to know about me."

"You will do well to remember your place, daughter," he ordered.

"And you'll do well to remember that I have no intention of joining the Empire. Whether or not you're my father."

Such emotions

And Palpatine, heading to Tattoone to do what, I wonder.
Vanessa Masters chapter 18 . 9/18/2020
Luke getting his first experience with snow and snowball fight. But still runs a foul of that furry beast.
Vanessa Masters chapter 17 . 9/18/2020
Like making friends, and making Han laugh and make a mess. Sharing a bit of Tuskens culture.

—-

He raised his hand and reached for her, but she backed away, her gorge rising.

"Come here," he ordered.

"Don't touch me," she hissed.

"I have no intention of violating you in any way, Princess," he replied. "It is the furthest thing from my mind."

"Then why have you brought me here?" she demanded. "What do you want of me? If you think I'm going to betray the Alliance for you, you're stupider than I thought!"

"I have come to tell you the truth, your Highness. The truth that has been hidden from you since your infancy."

"You wouldn't know the truth if it sat on you," she retorted.

She could tell he dearly wanted to strike at her for that remark, but he restrained himself with effort. "Obi-wan and Bail Organa never told you what happened to your father. Your true father."

"You killed him!" she shot back. "You murdered my father!"

Vader bristled visibly at that remark. She couldn't hide a triumphant smirk. For one who speaks of revealing the truth, you seem to have an aversion to it...

"No, Princess," he replied, a strange satisfaction lacing his words. "I am your father."

Leia stared at him, shock draining her mind of any coherent thought. No... it couldn't be...

"Search your feelings," he continued. "You know it to be true."

She shook her head, backing away from him until she felt the cold metal of the wall at her back. He lied. He lied! Her father couldn't be this monster! Her father was a Jedi Knight, Obi-wan's student, a powerful and noble warrior... not this mad beast of darkness that fed on and destroyed all he touched, who bore the blood of thousands on his blade and hands...

"Leia," he murmured, closing the distance between them. One black-sheathed hand reached up to touch the side of her face. "Your mother, Padme... she would have been proud of you. You look just like her."

Padme... how did he know her mother's name? She had only the faintest memories of her; Bail had told her she had died when she was very young. But somehow her name and face had been emblazoned upon her memory like a brand, as familiar as if she had seen her every day of her childhood. A face full of beauty, nobility, kindness... and yet an unfathomable sadness as well. But only she and Bail knew of Leia's connection to her. How could this demon know... unless...

"No," she moaned, turning away from him, tears filling her eyes. "Please..."

"You are my daughter," he said firmly. "You can no longer deny it. Padme Amidala was your mother... and my wife. You and your brother were taken from me by the Jedi after her death. All these years I have sought you..."

"Stop!" Her fists struck his chest, bruising against the steel armor and control panel, though she hardly noticed the pain. "Just stop! You can't be my father! I can't be your daughter... I just can't..."

Poor Leia. :(
Vanessa Masters chapter 16 . 9/18/2020
So the true reason for Skywalker's joining the Alliance came out - he wanted their aid in rescuing abducted family members. She sighed inwardly. They were truly in Skywalker's debt for destroying the Death Star, but they certainly hadn't the resources for a rescue mission, especially one of this magnitude.

"How long ago were they captured?"

"I don't know how outsiders tell time," he confessed. "It was during the fight with the Death Star. Vader took their ship."

She hadn't expected this. "When you said Master, were you referring to Obi-wan Kenobi?"

"Yes. He is teaching me how to become a Jedi."

At least one of the rumors was right, then. "What of your sister?"

"Leia. Her name is Leia."

Mothma was a politician, and thus she had years of experience in keeping her emotions in check. It was only this intense discipline that kept her jaw from dropping. How was this possible? The Royal House of Alderaan had no known link to Tatooine - how could one of its sons have ended up there, and among the primitive tribes no less? There had to be a mistake...

"Skywalker, are you certain Princess Leia is your sister?"

"Yes," he replied. "Obi-wan told us. Our mother died giving birth to us, and the Black One - Darth Vader - murdered our father. Obi-wan hid us on different planets to keep us safe."

She nodded. That made sense, especially if Obi-wan had intended to train Skywalker. The Emperor periodically "cleansed" many major planets of Force-strong beings, either exterminating them or taking them to his palace for whatever diabolical purposes he intended. Concealing his future student on an Outer Rim world among the natives would have ensured his survival. His reasons for hiding Leia were less clear, but then, the Jedi were not without compassion. If he protected Skywalker, he surely felt obligated to protect Leia in the same way.

"Skywalker, what you ask of us is difficult," Mothma told him. "Vader is a powerful man, with many soldiers and starships at his disposal. The Rebellion is still relatively weak, and our resources are stretched thin. I'm sorry, but a rescue mission is going to have to wait."

Skywalker was silent, a thoughtful expression on his face as he processed what she had just told him. Then a frown creased his features. "When a member of our tribe was captured, we never hesitated to send warriors to rescue them."

"That is different, Skywalker. We're not simply dealing with an enemy tribe here, but an entire corrupt Empire..."

"No different," he challenged, his blue eyes flashing. "The Redrock Tribe, my tribe, is called weak. The Serpent Tribe is powerful and - what word did you use? - corrupt. Their Sons of the Suns - their holy men - they have great powers. Their warriors are many and strong. But when they captured members of our tribe for their sacrifices, we always rescued them." He gave her a challenging glare. "The Rebellion is a weak tribe. The Empire is a strong tribe, and the Black One is a creature of great dark power. But we can still fight them and rescue our tribe members."

"Thank you for the analogy, Skywalker, but we must be realistic..."

"Mothma, he's got a point," Wedge put in. "The Empire's not invincible. Didn't we just prove that? After all, a piece-of-junk freighter just blew up the Death Star..."

"A stroke of incredible luck," she told him.

"Mothma, please," pleaded Skywalker. "I love my sister. And there is much more I need to learn from Obi-wan."

—-

Poor Luke all worried, and then the worst, or maybe the best, thing happens.
Vanessa Masters chapter 15 . 9/18/2020
No! Leia and Obi Wan capture!

—-

She stared into the forest, lips pressed together in a thin line. "I almost wish he wasn't so... innocent. That he knew more about the galaxy at large and knew that there are times you just can't trust someone..."

"If circumstances were ideal," Obi-wan told her, "Luke would have been raised by his aunt and uncle in Anchorhead as originally planned, and he would have that experience. But this is not an ideal galaxy, and we can only make do with what we have as best we can."

"If circumstances were ideal," she retorted, "the Emperor would never have risen to power, the Republic would still rule, and the Jedi Order would still exist. If this were an ideal galaxy, this wouldn't be happening."

If this were the ideal galaxy you are thinking of, Obi-wan thought wearily, you and your brother would not exist. Anakin would never have broken the Codes, would never have fallen to the dark side... and you and Luke would never have been born.

That was something he had been forced to come to terms with over his years of exile on Tatooine - the seeming paradox of Luke and Leia's existence. On one hand, they had indirectly caused the downfall of the Jedi simply by being born. By fathering the twins, Anakin had committed a serious breach of the Codes, and his desperation to keep the children secret and protect them from harm had resulted in his fall to the dark side. And yet these same twins were also the salvation of the galaxy - of the Jedi Order and of any chance of restoring democracy to the galaxy. Luke was the last hope of the Order, Leia the last hope of the Rebel Alliance. Their creation had sparked a firestorm that consumed the Chosen One and destroyed the Jedi Order... but their lives would restore all that had been torn down. If all went well, that was...

True, you have to accept a world of grey sometimes.

But Luke destroyed the Death Star, that’s all that matters.