Reviews for Why We Fight
Hawki chapter 1 . 8/5/2012
I have mixed feelings about this, but I think it would take the review too far into the realm of canon/subjectivity to lay them out. Thing is, I get what you’re saying. It’s not subtle, but it’s not ambiguous either, and I suppose that’s a pro to you in conveying said message. On the other, while I haven’t shied away from doing ‘message fics’ on this site before, ‘The Legend of Zelda’ doesn’t feel like the best media to convey it. Even if one ignores all the canon twisting (e.g. bunching ‘Ocarina of Time’ and ‘A Link to the Past’ despite the fact that different Links are involved), it still feels at odds with the character IMO. I've always seen Link as more of a tragic figure than a heroic one, at least in the games this is based on. Not because of what he chooses to do (of what choice factors in) but because of what fate/circumstance/destiny forces him to do.

So yeah. Okay story on its own. But IMO, this wasn’t the best media to show it.
oakleaf chapter 1 . 4/25/2012
I loved this, especially the different Links all coming together.

Well done on an awesome story.
Fortune chapter 1 . 1/13/2010
It became clear from the moment I started reading this piece that you are an author who takes time to consider his or her words. Your prose is aggressive and vividly worded, and I found the present tense approach refreshing as well. Nicely done! I'm also impressed that you conveyed extensive introspection through the manifestation of Link's most closely identified states of being. Few writers could effectively churn over a thousand words from such a seemingly simple question.

As for crits...about all I can suggest is perhaps to clarify upon adult Link's entrance that this is a second introspective angle being introduced rather than a return to the physical Link that just killed the harpie. Maybe it's just the fact that it's 5 a.m., lol, but that first line of dialog from him threw me for a minute.

Checking your profile page, it looks like you've got a number of other stories posted. I look forward to reading another sometime! Keep up the excellent work!
Anime Fan18.0 chapter 1 . 4/23/2009
I've read "Wormhole" before, but I've never taken the time to read any of your other stories (mainly because they're for fandoms I know little-to-none about). I'd just finished reading about the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time when I randomly glance down and saw the one-shot.

And I have to say, it is a GREAT one-shot.

Words escape me as I try to describe the smoothness and perfection of your words as you assembled them into paragraphs. I gawk at the brilliance you show as you pull off Link's multiple personalities well. I smile as I read each point of the argument, my smile growing wider as each personality brings up an equally good point that counters the other until all three finally realize the answer.

It's one thing to write a story using a universe many are familiar with. It's quite another when you take that universe, and write a story someone who knows almost nothing about it can still deeply appreciate and enjoy. Fantastic work, Ganheim! Really and truly, fantastic!

Sincerely,

Anime Fan18.0
JediHanyou chapter 1 . 6/6/2008
I can definitely see the soldier you are coming out here. You do an excellent job presenting the mindset of one who fights neither for glory, nor for self-preservation, nor for personal gain, nor from a sense of duty to a country, code, or belief system, but because he (or she) feels he (assume he or she from this point on) MUST, in order to protect those he loves.

Some would argue, "Is it necessary for all to fight?" Obviously, no. There are those among us - like Link and yourself - who will cooperatively shoulder the burdens of others, who themselves protect and/or serve in other ways. For instance, I myself am a teacher: I will end up teaching many sons and daughters of soldiers, and many who will become soldiers themselves.

But when the question is asked, "Is it necessary for me to fight?" the only one who can answer is one's own self. That is why I do not support an involuntary draft - though I am registered with the selective service, don't get me wrong! I assure you that as soon as it became clear that I could BETTER serve my family and my country as a soldier than as a teacher, I would immediately sign up for officer training or enlist.

Great job! Keep it up!
Rowan Seven chapter 1 . 11/24/2007
Another short but intriguing vignette. The conversation between the three Links was a fascinating use of his multiple incarnations, and the subtle differences between them went a long ways towards making this scenario feel like more than one person merely talking to himself. The subject matter is another point of interest, and I must admit with some surprise that it's something I'd never really contemplated before. When playing a Zelda game Link's actions just seem so natural that it hadn't occurred to me to question why he risks life and limb. The answer you've offered is both obvious and yet profound. The characterizations seem spot on, though since Link is usually a man of few words I can't say much about the vernacular other than that it did a great job getting the characters' meanings across. The narrative was remarkably smooth and compelling for being comprised mostly of dialogue. Thank you for sharing this story with the public. I really enjoyed reading it.
nope at nope chapter 1 . 10/24/2007
Wow. WOW. I see where you're coming from now...No more 'said'! MUAHAHAHA! I'm glad you redirected me to this. I can put this into action! With more action! I can even put this into an important between-story one-shot very later on in the series... (Not of AGFFA by the way)
Kasienda chapter 1 . 4/10/2007
He does it for the excitement and fun of adventuring and you know it! No wait, that's why I play the game! But admittedly life in the dark world taken over by ganondorf would be well dark and boring! Living in a hut... sheesh. ANYWAY, very well written. I enjoyed immensely. I especially like how he was injured and begins to doubt. Now why do I do this? Oh, right... let's drag ourselves on. Hope that review is coherent! Happy Writing!
earthrise chapter 1 . 1/14/2007
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.

Dona Nobis Pacem.

earthrise
Thundera Tiger chapter 1 . 10/6/2006
Hey Ganheim,

As per your invitation in your review for "Smiting Ruin," I wandered over to take a gander at this story. Very impressive. I love the atmosphere you lay down and the way you keep the narrative moving. That's a hard thing to do, especially when you're working with primarily dialogue. It's so tempting to fall into a "he said"/"she said" rhythm, but you interject small, significant actions that keep the mental video entertaining. Boy Link shooting Deku nuts, for example, or Knight Link cleaning his sword and thinking about food. Great technical work to make the story flow.

As for the story itself, it's an interesting question. I'm a huge fan of Zelda myself, love the games, and during my second go-around with Majora's Mask, I found myself asking what in the world Link was doing. Well, aside from the fact that he's turned into a Deku Scrub at the beginning, but after that, what makes him do this? What drives him? I love the rather nebulous answers he gives himself in this story. It's as if he isn't sure and is having a moment of doubt. It's resolved in the end to his satisfaction, but it's still a somewhat vague concept. But despite that, it's true, and he can believe in truth. Well orchestrated and well done. Thank you for recommending it. I'll have to check out your other story when I find some free time. I love long epics and chaptered stories, but my reading time is short and sparse. Hopefully some day!
Zippy Zorro chapter 1 . 8/28/2006
An excellent piece of work, thank you very much for telling me about it. I look forward to reading your other stories!
ShadowofUndine chapter 1 . 7/13/2006
This was thought-provoking. Thank you.

-Shadow of Undine
Linkophile chapter 1 . 7/3/2006
Thank you for pointing me out to your one-shot fic! It is well-written, and original from anything else I've read. If you were looking to have it put into my one-shot community, it's definitely there _
Sir Miles chapter 1 . 6/12/2006
That was a good one, Ganheim. I enjoyed the way you patterend Link's discussion with himself, and you did a good job musing over each of the possibilities in turn. Deep, thoughtful story. Keep writing!

-Sir Miles
CrazyDogLady chapter 1 . 6/10/2006
Wow... its good. So there are 3 Links,correct?