Reviews for Dynasty
Simply amazing
star wars fan chapter 4 . 1/16
I love this story. The plot is really great, and has and interesting twist. This is definantly the greatest star wars story I've ever read.
Carol chapter 21 . 11/27/2014
Yeah, count me among those who checked out of this story once Leia was killed off. Once it happened, I just skipped to the last chapter to see what happened at the end.

Dark stories are great, but I think it takes a lot of skill to write one well, and not have it come off as, well, something that's just dark for the sake of it. And with the way Leia was killed off, that is just what it began to feel like to me, sorry. Since Luke gets turned to the Dark/Imperial Side pretty quickly, there is really no journey going on in the story about that, or a real fight (internal or external) about it from Luke, or coming from anyone else. It's just a romance story set in the Empire with a Dark!Luke twist.

It also didn't help that the way the female character were portrayed in this story constantly kept turning me off, even before Leia got fridged. Star Wars never had a lot of interesting female characters to begin with, and while I was forgiving about the OOC-ness regarding Padme Amidala (because she was already dead and this story was written before AOTC and ROTS came out), I wasn't finding any of the OC-females interesting either. Especially not to the point that I cared one way or another who Luke ended up with.

I don't want to leave this review on a totally negative note, so I will say that there is a solid idea and premise in the set-up with this story. Hell, there was good court-politics things I think worked really well also. And the writing is pretty good, especially given the quality of writing you can normally find on .
ANanthropologist chapter 1 . 10/27/2014
Hi again!

Just read over my review and realized it probably sounded pretentious. Didn't mean it to be! I really did enjoy the POV and am fairly sure you did it on purpose. I think I'm just disturbed by how few people seem(?) to not realize what's going on behind the words, if that makes any sense.

Have a wonderful day!
ANanthropologist chapter 45 . 10/27/2014
I found this story relatively fun to read, as its language encourages the reader to cheer on the main characters and enjoy their revenge/kickassness/power right along with them. It's the mark of a skillful writer, or at least one in the making, and the fact its so long only impresses me even more. I have a lot of things to say, so allow me to point form it. Also, I understand this story is fairly old so I'm sure it's not new, still, I just had to dissect it.

Pros: - Enjoyable storyline (victories safisfying)
- little in scene jokes that roll along smoothly with the story and diolouge (for inst. the joke with the guards talking on their private com about Luke possibly being sith, and opening doors with no touch)
- OCs likable for the most part, with believable and relevant background.
- with above, OCs do not overshadow mains (personal pet peeve :P )
- fascinating take on the Dark Side and the Empire, as well as the consistent veiwpoint of the Imperials - empire 'good', Rebellion 'bad'*

Cons - Misogeny, misogeny everywhere. Could have perhaps been at least equalized with at least one strong female character somewhere that isn't 'punished' (ex a certain imperial lady who is smart but ends up being super bitchy and surprisingly unreasonable otherwise, ends up miserably married to an imperial) On this I will note that it fits the theme of 'Empire good' so if you purposefully inserted mysogeny for the sake of authenticity or to highlight problems of the court (which if so, was very well hidden under the 'viewpoint') then you can ignore. If not, and you thought being a female gives you a pass, guess again.
- Empire being 'good' and having its downsides/misdeeds barely mentioned/ignored while the Alliance's misdeeds are emphasised strongly shows the bias of the writer. However, once again if this was done on purpose for the viewpoint or what have you, you can ignore. However, the dismissal of non-humans' lack of rights is somewhat disturbing. More disturbing because most reviewers dont seem to realize what is being ignored.
-clothes. I hope you cut down on the descriptions in future stories. It's interesting during ceremonies to provide cultural background, but for everyday wear we don't need to know where every jewel is. Also, having the Vaders so jewel encrusted, especially the dark lord, is somewhat strange given how he's always traditionally been more a military man. Also: personally, as an art student some descriptions were somewhat cringeworthy. More than one outfit had colours clashing everywere, often opposites such as green and red (why green and red? Why? That sort of bold emphasis should not cover an entire outfit... Sorry, it's even more striking than green and orange.) along with jewels every colour of the rainbow. It's like a pride parade but without the pride :(
- politics. You sort of hinted at actual politics with a bit of voting manipulation with the two older politicians with Luke, however it was mostly glossed over in favour of stringing them along about who Luke was actually loyal to/how powerful he was . It was entertaining, yes, but what was the benefit besides a few laughs? I feel like a true politician would have done something that changed things or somehow benefited them. The emperor chuckled about Luke spinning complicated webs in politics, but really it seemed more like a teen having a laugh at the clueless politicians. Fairly straightforward too.

That's it, mostly. Sorry the points got long. I'm interested in what your personal veiws are, now, if only to have context to the story.
* 'Dynasty' itself reads like entertaining Impereal propeganda, however if one looks closely they can see the touble with the empire, from the (pre-revolution)French-royalty-reminiscent overindulgence, to the total disregaurd of non-humans, as well as misogyny and somewhat unforgiving ruthlessness.
Either way, it was an entertaining read. I love dystopias, they're a fun way to explore what ifs and examine humanity. Thanks for the fun :)

P.S. I'm sure you've heard this by now, but 'Darth' is a title, like lord, meant for the Sith. However it doesn't really matter, especially considering when you wrote this.
ksecc1 chapter 45 . 10/13/2014
Good godfather-esque look at what could have happened if Luke sided with the other side. Although I would have liked to see what happened to Han since he started that whole thing. Also would have liked to find what Obi Won was thinking, allowing Luke the be raised in such a manner. Surely the reaction provoked would strengthen any dark side leanings?
Jedi Jesi Jiin chapter 2 . 9/26/2014
Hmm, interesting... I like it
Jedi Jesi Jiin chapter 1 . 9/26/2014
Intriguing... I am curious as to where you go with Luke's injuries...
Trahald of Uru chapter 41 . 8/31/2014
Who will take care of Fifi now?
OUATLovr chapter 45 . 8/7/2014
This was a truly great story! I enjoyed Palpatine being so grandfatherly to Luke, and almost felt bad in the end when he was dying. The description of the clothes, the wedding ceremony, and everything else was well done if a little overdone. I also liked your Anjaleen, as she wasn't the normal love interest or Mary Sue that fanfiction authors usually slip in and was actually an interesting original character. The end of the Alliance was superb, and, although you didn't make the Empire out as this amazing thing, I was still cheering when they won instead. Also, I liked your courage in killing off Leia, as most authors don't usually go that far and kill off a canon character. Though I do wish Luke had felt a bit more conflicted about it, as she was his sister, and that could have led to a bit of a struggle with the Dark Side for a while.
In the end, although I was a little sad that neither he nor Vader turned back to the light, I understand why you didn't have them do so and it made the conclusion all the more interesting. Nicely done!
Ilyena Damodred chapter 45 . 7/29/2014
Hi, re-read it again. Thank you for writing, as always.
Guest chapter 45 . 5/22/2014
lol wow I actually gave up reading because this story was ridiculous. I should have stopped when you decided to change padme/anakin, I should have stopped when luke killed Biggs and Wedge. But god, Leia's death was just the push I needed to stop reading this god awful story. I mean. I tried, I really tried. And lmao your OCs are terrible. and then names. Lol Miguel? Miguel? Whatever. This story is god awful.
Guest chapter 35 . 4/30/2014
I really enjoy ur story. But the "outfits" that luke wears seems a bit to expensive. I mean, wearing an outfi full of shiny objects makes him an easy target. It would be more suitable if he wore something more military like, without all of the jewels and expensive wear
Sun-Tsu Toriden chapter 7 . 3/20/2014
Someone has definitely been reading their timothy Zahn.
Sun-Tsu Toriden chapter 4 . 3/20/2014
My girlfriend has been raving about this story for a good number of years, and as age finished it for the third time, demanded my phone to load it.

And I have to say from what I've read so far, its excellent. You've managed to make Luke into Harry Potter and the imperial court look like Game if Thrones, but in a way that's believable and universe consistent.

Though Vader being healed was a bit of a twist.
1,103 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »