Reviews for The Nature of Fire
Nightfallrising chapter 1 . 3/12
Mr. Potter:
Either you are a vigilante, or you're not. You care about justice, or you don't. You care about vengeance, or you don't. And if you cannot help but be so selfish as to attempt to force others to do what you think best or what would leave you comfortable and self-satisfied, have the grace to accompany your heavy-handed machinations with courtesy and lemon-flavored sweets. A tribute to or attempt to emulate a beloved mentor might almost make entitled demands on others' behavior excusable; the mistaken impression that you have the right is merely proof that your laudable attempts at maturation have thus far fallen far short of your goal.
Regards and best wishes,
S. Snape
None of your bloody business,
Eurasian continent or thereabouts.

(Sorry about that, but this piece was so *actually in character* for Harry that the muse couldn't keep his giant nose out and had to reply. V. impressive! Also sorry this and other responses haven't been logged in for: I'm on my phone and I'm sure my password's written down somewhere... -nightfall
ThatLittleThing chapter 1 . 11/29/2013
"This is about me not becoming you."

Rago Dragovian chapter 1 . 1/6/2013
But it does matter why. It always does...
NeuroticNerd chapter 1 . 5/31/2011
Oh, you my dear, are versatile. Very versatile indeed. Well done :)
Cassandra30 chapter 1 . 12/26/2010
SnapeAngel chapter 1 . 10/21/2009

hermionestargazer chapter 1 . 1/11/2008
"He blinks, hesitating, and thinks that revelations should come more loudly, shine more brightly - epiphanies aren't supposed to be quiet. He shouldn't feel like he's saying something he's known all along, deep down."

Ok ... can we say "breathtaking"! This is so incredibly full of simple truth, it's overflowing! Right on!

Mother of Tears chapter 1 . 7/16/2007
Excellent story. Dwelling in the darkness of anger and hate makes one dark.
PutMoneyInThyPurse chapter 1 . 10/22/2006
"Just now. Just this moment. Just faded moonlight through a grimy window, just shadows upon shadows blanketing the corners of the room, just glistening dust motes suspended in midair, swaying with each awkwardly loud exhalation, each jerking, uncertain motion of the two men."

See, you did this before in Grey - using setting as a metaphor for the action. "Faded moonlight" reflecting the enthusiasm and 'light of battle' that is now faded, the 'shadows upon shadows' which are shades of meaning, shades of grey, nothing black-and-white anymore, and the 'dust motes' suspended in midair, a metaphor for human beings themselves, Ahrry and Snape nothing more than insignificant little creatures in the vast universe, 'suspended' on the edge of fate, of action, in that moment where action is still undecided. The "just...just...just" parallel structure is great too.

BTW, I love your perfect English, and your betaedness (is that even a word?) and also your ability to tell a long story in relatively few words.
BornofStarlight chapter 1 . 9/17/2006
Oh my God, squee. This is absolutely amazing! Short, sweet, and doesn't beat around the bush. You gave just enough background to make the ending twice as profound as it may have been, and not too much background that it was overy wordy. The balance was perfect. My hat - were I wearing one - is off to you.

Satira chapter 1 . 7/19/2006
I liked the storyline and the basic plot, though I wasn't as fond of the analogy. Still makes sense, though, so I guess it works.
FrodoBeutlin chapter 1 . 7/18/2006
sounds good
Samara-chan chapter 1 . 7/15/2006
Eloquent and insightful. Superb writing, excellent portrayal of Harry - making a REALLY nice one-shot. Kudos to you!
Thirteen Ravens chapter 1 . 7/12/2006
Angsty, and very good. I like it!

"This isn't about you...this is about me not becoming you."

Very interesting!

Though I guess if Harry dispatched Voldemort, and Snape dispatched Dumbledore then they're pretty much the mirror image of each other, though one more light than dark...or perhaps they are both just shades of grey?

Hekate101 chapter 1 . 7/5/2006