Reviews for Temptation
FurrBallXXL chapter 1 . 1/26
Transgender people are people who have a gender identity, or gender expression, that differs from their assigned sex.[1][2][3] Transgender people are sometimes called transsexual if they desire medical assistance to transition from one sex to another. Transgender is also an umbrella term: in addition to including people whose gender identity is the opposite of their assigned sex (trans men and trans women), it may include people who are not exclusively masculine or feminine (people who are genderqueer, e.g. bigender, pangender, genderfluid, or agender).[2][4][5] Other definitions of transgender also include people who belong to a third gender, or conceptualize transgender people as a third gender.[6][7] Infrequently, the term transgender is defined very broadly to include cross-dressers,[8] regardless of their gender identity.

Being transgender is independent of sexual orientation:[9] transgender people may identify as heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, asexual, etc., or may consider conventional sexual orientation labels inadequate or inapplicable. The term transgender can also be distinguished from intersex, a term that describes people born with physical sex characteristics "that do not fit typical binary notions of male or female bodies".[10]

The degree to which individuals feel genuine, authentic, and comfortable within their external appearance and accept their genuine identity has been called transgender congruence.[11] Many transgender people experience gender dysphoria, and some seek medical treatments such as hormone replacement therapy, sex reassignment surgery, or psychotherapy.[12] Not all transgender people desire these treatments, and some cannot undergo them for financial or medical reasons.[12][13]

Most transgender people face discrimination at and in access to work,[14] public accommodations,[15] and healthcare.[16] They are not legally protected from discrimination in many places.[17]

Contents [hide]
17References
18Further reading
19External links
Evolution of transgender terminology
Psychiatrist John F. Oliven of Columbia University coined the term transgender in his 1965 reference work Sexual Hygiene and Pathology, writing that the term which had previously been used, transsexualism, "is misleading; actually, 'transgenderism' is meant, because sexuality is not a major factor in primary transvestism."[18][19] The term transgender was then popularized with varying definitions by various transgender, transsexual and transvestite people, including Virginia Prince,[20] who used it in the December 1969 issue of Transvestia, a national magazine for cross dressers she founded.[21] By the mid-1970s both trans-gender and trans people were in use as umbrella terms,[note 1] and 'transgenderist' was used to describe people who wanted to live cross-gender without sex reassignment surgery (SRS).[22] By 1976, transgenderist was abbreviated as TG in educational materials.[23]

By 1984, the concept of a "transgender community" had developed, in which transgender was used as an umbrella term;[24] in 1985, Richard Elkins established the "Trans-Gender Archive" at the University of Ulster.[21] By 1992, the International Conference on Transgender Law and Employment Policy defined transgender as an expansive umbrella term including "transsexuals, transgenderists, cross dressers" and anyone transitioning.[25]

The term trans man refers to a man who has transitioned from female to male, and trans woman refers to a woman who has transitioned from male to female. Health-practitioner manuals, professional journalistic style guides, and LGBT advocacy groups advise the adoption by others of the name and pronouns identified by the person in question, including present references to the transgender person's past;[26][27] many also note that transgender should be used as an adjective, not a noun (for example, "Max is transgender" or "Max is a transgender man", not "Max is a transgender"), and that transgender should be used, not transgendered.[28][29][30]

People who are neither transgender nor genderqueer — people whose sense of personal identity corresponds to the sex and gender assigned to them at birth — are termed cisgender.[31]

Transsexual and its relationship to transgender
See also: Transsexual, especially Transsexual § Terminology
The term transsexual was introduced to English in 1949 by David Oliver Cauldwell,[note 2] and popularized by Harry Benjamin in 1966, around the same time transgender was coined and began to be popularized.[20] Since the 1990s, transsexual has generally been used to describe the subset of transgender people[20][32][33] who desire to transition permanently to the gender with which they identify and who seek medical assistance (for example, sex reassignment surgery) with this. However, the concerns of the two groups are sometimes different; for example, transsexual men and women who can pay for medical treatments (or who have institutional coverage for their treatment) are likely to be concerned with medical privacy and establishing a durable legal status as their gender later in life.

Distinctions between the terms transgender and transsexual are commonly based on distinctions between gender (psychological, social) and sex (physical).[34][35] Hence, transsexuality may be said to deal more with material aspects of one's sex, while transgender considerations deal more with one's internal gender disposition or predisposition, as well as the related social expectations that may accompany a given gender role.[36] Many transgender people prefer the designation transgender and reject transsexual.[37][38][39] For example, Christine Jorgensen publicly rejected transsexual in 1979, and instead identified herself in newsprint as trans-gender, saying, "gender doesn't have to do with bed partners, it has to do with identity."[40][41] This refers to the concern that transsexual implies something to do with sexuality, when it is actually about gender identity.[42][note 3] Some transsexual people (those who desire or have undergone), however, object to being included in the transgender umbrella.[43][44][45][46] The definitions of both terms have historically been variable.

In his 2007 book Transgender, an Ethnography of a Category, anthropologist David Valentine asserts that transgender was coined and used by activists to include many people who do not necessarily identify with the term, and states that people who do not identify with the term transgender should not be included in the transgender spectrum.[43] Leslie Feinberg likewise asserts that transgender is not a self-identifier (for some people) but a category imposed by observers to understand other people.[44] However, these assertions are contested by the Transgender Health Program (THP) at Fenway Health in Boston. It notes that there are no universally accepted definitions, and terminology confusion is common because terms that were popular in at the turn of the 21st century may now be deemed offensive. The THP recommends that clinicians ask clients what terminology they prefer, and avoid the term transsexual unless they are sure that a client is comfortable with it.[42]

Harry Benjamin invented a classification system for transsexuals and transvestites, called the Sex Orientation Scale (SOS), in which he assigned transsexuals and transvestites to one of six categories based on their reasons for cross-dressing and the relative urgency of their need (if any) for sex reassignment surgery.[47] Benjamin considered a moderate intensity "true transsexual" to need either estrogen or testosterone as a "substitute for or preliminary to operation";[47] people who meet Benjamin's definition of a "true transsexual" but do not desire SRS include Miriam Rivera. There are also people who have had SRS but do not meet the definition of "transsexual", such as Gregory Hemingway.[48][49]

Other categories
In addition to trans men and trans women whose binary gender identity is the opposite of their assigned sex, and who form the core of the transgender umbrella, being included in even the narrowest definitions of it, several other groups are included in broader definitions of the term. These include people whose gender identities are not exclusively masculine or feminine but may, for example, be androgynous, bigender, pangender or agender — often grouped under the alternative umbrella term genderqueer[5] — and third-gender people (alternatively, some references and some societies conceptualize transgender people as a third gender).[6][7] Although some references define transgender very broadly to include transvestites / cross-dressers,[8] they are usually excluded, as are transvestic fetishists (because they are considered to be expressing a paraphilia rather than a gender identification) and drag kings and drag queens (who are performers and cross-dress for the purpose of entertaining).

Genderqueer, including androgynous and bigender
Main articles: Genderqueer, Bigender, and Androgyny
Genderqueer or non-binary identities, which are not exclusively masculine or feminine but instead are agender, androgynous, bigender, pangender or genderfluid,[50] exist outside of cisnormativity.[51][52] Bigender and androgynous are overlapping categorie
BrettVT chapter 12 . 4/13/2016
It's a real shame that you never finished this or Crimson Shadow, It's very well done and quite interesting. Great Story overall.
spoomed chapter 12 . 11/3/2014
Just happened to stumble on this story and...I just have to say-I mean I'm kinda riding he bandwagon with the rest of your fans here, haha-I really hope you pick up this story again. It really is such a great and entertaining read. I know it's been like...a 5...6 year break? Lol, well I sure hope nothing bad has happened to keep you from writing again! You've definitely won another fan in meh for sure! Anything I can think of saying is pretty much reiterating all the great feedback I've seen from other readers. Anyway, hope you keep on writin', and may the Force be with youuu! :)
Artorius XV chapter 12 . 7/21/2014
A decent and interesting story, though I will admit it's a tad too romancy for my tastes.

I'll give your new story Crimson Shadow a go as well, as that seems to be a rework of this story?
aeducaanwrites chapter 12 . 10/20/2013
omfg how ive missed this story, and i cant wait for you to continue it.
the brown cow chapter 12 . 10/4/2013
Is there gonna be an update? PLEASE
Scorpio219 chapter 11 . 9/9/2013
I implore you to update this story as fast as you can, I know University and that part of life can get a bit hectic- I have just finished my degree myself. But I can say for absolute certainty that I'm not the only one eager for further additions to this story, even if it's just to clear this ultimate 5 year cliff hanger- I'm a patient person but dear god please update soon.

I read this story many, many years ago. And having just re-read it I feel that its better than I even remember. The maturity, depth and detail you put into your writing is phenomenal, and it has me gripped from start to this ending so far. I crave more which doesn't often happen. I love your portrayal of both characters they are truly your own, and have grown as the story has progressed, nothing feels rushed and that makes me relieved- there's nothing worse than a rushed relationship.

I eagerly, less patiently than originally await more of your wonderful writing style.
Sincerely Scorpio219
Darth Nihilion chapter 12 . 8/28/2013
I agree, this story is the best fix I have ever read period. Add that.
All I can say is please, please finish it.?
I'm begging you. It's 4am here and I'm mad jet lagged. Reading this story was worth.
shadoefax chapter 12 . 7/23/2013
PLEASE COME BACK TO THIS STORY!
Kronos12 chapter 12 . 4/23/2013
Are you ever going to finish this? It's one of the greatest I've ever read.
E153N chapter 12 . 4/17/2013
I have to admit that this is one of the best Star Wars stories I have ever read, from fanfiction to the whole 'legit-published-printed' thingy. I love how you took what was in the game, and made it beautifully AU, yet still adhering enough to the game that people could relate (with that "ooh, i know that!" feeling). I particularly enjoy how you've humanized your characters. It is particulary interesting to see what a "Dark Lord of the Sith" might actually be, thinking, feeling, etc. since SW canon stories have never/rarely look at those aspects unless its the part where they fall to the dark side, which usually has a lot of rage/sadness involved, but since they are human they must still have other emotions after that point, right?
Also, I need to ask, why does Revan seem so... hesitant, when it comes to feeling emotions for Bastila? Having played the game I recall that the first tenet of the Sith Code is: "Peace is a lie, there is only Passion". (Sure it could be a weakness, but it could also be a strength, few things fuel as strongly as the drive to protect loved ones, alluding to the second tenet)
This is the part where I get to the part that you might or might not like. This story is so great that I would coin the meme: "One does not simply not finish a bloody good story", just for this. Buuuut, knowing well from experience that everyday life does rear it's ugly head, well, every day... and that things always seem to get in the way of writing (I've tried writing fanfics on numerous occasions always not finishing, although sub-par to yours by a large margin) also you are giving us this epic read for free! So try as we might we don't actually have any say in what you supply us with, no matter how much we might not like it ("us" being your readers, I think, interpret it as you will).
In the vain hope of trying to motivate you to continue this I feel the need to point out that this story is ranked 3rd if you filter by GamesStar Wars, even after 4 years without updates (amazing, right?!). If that doesn't work, I feel the need to ask, will Crimson Shadow run along a similar path as this story? (I'll start reading it as soon as I've finished this, lol)
So, to finish of this I would just need to say, It was an amazing read, just a pity not being able to get "closure" on the story (Maybe even find someone who would be willing to finish it for you? Yeah, long shot, but I had to try). While writing this I am still on that "high" you get from living yourself into a book and in a way I can't wait for it to wear off so I won't be bothered by the cliffhanger of the story anymore, so please excuse my, erm, urgent need to see this story play out (you just had to use "..." to end a chapter).

PS: I can't remember if you actually ever described what Ryric looks like and since he doesn't appear in the game I'm having a hard time imagining him (every time I do he looks different, yes, i know I'm weird, but bear with me). Also I tried really hard not to use smileys in this review since I was trying to convey at least some modicum of professionalism that this story deserves, unfortunately smileys make it a great deal easier to convey what my intentions behind a comment are, but meh! So be it.
Disclaimer: I claim full responsibility for any and all spelling and grammar errors in this review. If you don't find it satisfactory, so smash me... preferably with something soft.
Decebal chapter 12 . 11/3/2012
The fact that you never finished this is utterly criminal. Criminal I tell you. It's amazing. Finish the dang thing. Please. It is one of the best... no it probably is the best fan fic that I've ever read. So please find it in your hear to finish it.
Hamster Giggles chapter 12 . 8/21/2012
I have read many fan fiction's on this website over the past few years, but I have never favorited an author or story before this one. In fact I made an account here just so that I could favorite and follow this story. I hope to see the story continue soon and can't wait for the next chapter. This story is one of the best things I have ever read, period. You sir are a great writer!
lol chapter 1 . 8/9/2012
We've dealt with it very carefully, Nova.
Antique Nova chapter 12 . 7/4/2012
Seriously! Must you leave me on a cliff hanger such as this! Force only knows how those readers four years ago dealt with this!