Reviews for A Question of Fate
Mats Forsen chapter 6 . 9/18/2007
Excellent chapter, great to see you're still writing this story. I eagerly await the continuation and am happy to say that I can't predict what it will be. :)

Interaction between people of different "tech levels" for lack of a better word have always fascinated me. Keep up the good work!
J chapter 5 . 5/21/2007
Please update! I'd hate to see this wonderful story discontinued (
Syl chapter 5 . 2/26/2007
I enjoyed this story, but it was very hard to get into. If you ever rewrote it, I'd recommend HEAVILY reducing the size (or at least the density) of the first two chapters. I actually read chapter 1 off and on over a couple days, chapter 2 on another day, then the last three chapters in about an hour's sitting.

After the end of chapter 5, I feel like the story has only just started, and I'm anxious to see where it will go. I'm a bit worried that you seem to have completely marginalized Fayt (and significantly less worried that you did the same with Sophie. How tacked on can a character get?) but Nel at least seems to be fairly central.

A large problem seems to be the Maria centered narrative. Maria is an interesting character, but she is not a very _engaging_ character. A dry, collected, logical character can make a good foil, but they don't make for the most exciting points of view - especially in introspective pieces. The last three chapters broke this up a lot more with the other character's introductions, but the first chapters had Maria mainly interacting with other dry, calm, logical, collected characters, which led to a very stale feel.

I almost feel like I should be leaving different reviews for the first half of the story and the second half. In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing where you're taking the ideas of higher gods - I'm sure I'm not the only person who preferred Star Ocean 3 when the conflicts of the non 4D world actually mattered, and I'm eager to see you infusing the "real" world with meaning again.
ThrogmortenMimic chapter 5 . 2/2/2007
Another brilliant piece of work, even if it has taken a while to materialize.

I like the way you handled the characters, and anyone that would say you unrealistically made Albel look bad, would be rather delusional. He responded very appropriately i think. Overall i would sum it as:

Inspiring.

Hope to see more and, no rush no pressure, but soon please. _
Mats Forsen chapter 5 . 1/31/2007
Absolutely lovely, it is great that you are continuing this story! This is shaping up to be as good as your earlier POV work, keep it up. :)
Col chapter 5 . 1/30/2007
Superb piece of art; not only the content's amazingly well written, but the intellectual content's quite fascinating!
SteamedBun chapter 5 . 1/28/2007
Crosell was pretty interesting in this chapter. Incidentally, what has he been doing for the last few hundred years? Besides the occasional crushing of a challenger, it doesn't seem like he gets much exercise.

Anyways, I really liked the fight scene between Nel and Albel. Albel's a pretty cool character, but there were a few times I wished I could just beat him down with another one of my characters...Okay, many times.
Dragonfate chapter 5 . 1/25/2007
Quite possibly the best SO3 fanfic out there. Congratulations for your work so far, and please keep it coming. :)
Mats Forsen chapter 4 . 10/12/2006
Great to see this story continued, I liked your Nel story a lot and this one seems to be just as good. :) I love reading stories about first contact / interactions between worlds of different tech level.
Hinodeh chapter 1 . 10/4/2006
What can I say other than that I'am absolutely overjoyed by finding and reading a Star Ocean 3 Fanfic which so far is well thought out, intelligent and also humorous ? ( The part about Mirage black-mailing Maria especially really cracked me up . )

Further you're great at getting the character's canon personalities right and I thought you did a great job at creating a personality for Mirage's father .

Let it also be said that you made me see again what's so great about genfic _.

Really , the only thing I regret is that I haven't started reading this sooner .

Thank you for writing this story . FFnet really needs more writers like you .
ThrogmortenMimic chapter 4 . 10/3/2006
Something occurred to me at the end of the last chapter... A stray thought said "All this back story and build up. You can really get a general idea of where this story will go. But. What happens if theres a huge twist? Like the whole of SO3 spins out from the vendeeni attacking Hyda, which was totally unforseeable. That could easily happen here." Now all this business with Nel...

On another subject, the amount of detail that is being put into this is staggering. It is dificult to determine what you have added to the original facts. You are a very... intellectual person from what i gather. I know a lot of work has gone into the game, and its great to see you unearthing that. I personally felt the game designers were rather lacking in Character development, and there are times when the game portrays OOCness sadly.

And again i'd like to say that i will probably end up borrowing some of your ideas and concepts for my fic. Which will eventually find Elicoorians travelling offworld And the characters that are intelligent will rise to the challenge spectacularly. This is if i can ever pry myself from World of Workcraft to complete it. Chapter 1 would be a good start.

Besides all that i would like to mention that your new chapters sit around waiting till i can give them my full attention to read in one hit. Usually a late tuesday night.
Miss Nox chapter 4 . 10/2/2006
Yey, finally finished reading it- and I'm really enjoying it- thought the beginning part takes a while to get going it's really fun when they finally get to Elicoor and I get to see some of my fave characters.

Especially Lasselle- does he ever agree with anything? XD! And I do imagine Elena being the complete opposite too! The suspense about Nel was killing me- to find that she's missing? I am really looking forward to seeing her.

Does that mean Maria meets up with her fairly quickly in the next chapter- or that it's going to be in Nel's POV? I guess I'll just have to wait and see! Hehe!

Odessa is also just as cool as her sister- she and Maria seem to have little bursts of light hearted banter and quibbling which is funny at times and serves (for me at least) to show the differences between races in the world and how they interact!

And Mirage got in this chapter too- I just love how she's so calm and collected! Clif is her total opposite, isn't he? But I just love it- and I'm looking forward to the match when maria gets home- ok so you might not show that but either way it would be funny to see the Klausians flummoxed by a earthling being stronger than them!

XD! Great chapter so keep it up! I am really enjoying this story and it's really picking up now- I hope to see more action personally- which is coming next chapter with my faveourite Ninja/Spy/Runologist!

MissNox
Someone chapter 4 . 10/1/2006
This is by far the best Star Ocean fic I've read. Probably the best fic i've read in the game section. I would quite happily murder a man for writing skills like yours, but I suppose i'll have to be content with reading your works.
The Great Bippety-Bop chapter 1 . 8/8/2006
Hah-it's not every day you get the intellectual vibe from an SO3 fiction. Glad to find one, though...especially as it'll feature Nel as another lead. Both she and Maria are strong, capable, interesting characters; looks like they'll be given even more depth in this. :D
Lacks Gravitas chapter 3 . 8/5/2006
You continue to amaze me. It's hard to critique the work of someone who is so far out of your league. All I can say is that you have the character's personalities down to a tee and the little details and subtle nuances you add really enrich your writing. It's such a pleasure to read a Star Ocean fanfiction that can actually do Maria's character justice. I'm looking forward to what you do with Nel.
44 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »