Reviews for A Question of Fate
Still Stream chapter 1 . 7/25/2006
This is the best Star Ocean fic that I've ever read. Granted, I haven't read many. But that's mostly because they're relatively few (compared to other fandoms) and ones that I like are even rarer.

You really capture the depth of the Star Ocean universe. Not only that, you've captured a lot of the characters, especially Maria and Mirage, perfectly.

I can't wait to see where this goes! Hard to believe that it's 44k words and you only finished Part 1. But if there's one thing I love, it's a long, epic fanfic. You really do the game justice with this story.
ThrogmortenMimic chapter 3 . 7/25/2006
Many thanks on a new chapter. This chapter wasnt as much of a thwack in the head as the last two though. That may be because i read a story shortly before this that was rather standard fare around here, then it suddenly had some freak heart attack in the middle and became an excellent piece of work. I just wish i could get more down on my story... Well, thats how it goes.

I do wonder how many years i will be checking up on this story for. Considering the depth of this work, that may as well be part one completed of 100 or more. As thankful as i am that you decided to write a Star Ocean story, its sad for you that you will most likely be unable to publish this work. Unless you take it to Square enix and we can have Star Ocean I-2 come out.

I have the feeling we will meet most of the characters again, although i am unsure as to where we may meet Peppita, or get firmly in touch with Cliff. I guess i will just have to wait (very patiently) for you to write more.
Miss Nox chapter 3 . 7/23/2006
Another huge chunk of bliss to chomp down on! I absolutely love this story! The two main factors I love are the fact that Maria doesn't really know who she is yet and it's mentioned a couple of times- you can really relate to and it adds to the story value if there's a character who doesn't quite know who they are completely- for me, anyway. But What's good is the fact that she deals with it so well, but I have a feeling that will come up again... maybe it's just me hoping! XD!

And secondly is the mysterious UP3 disappearance snuck in there- but that really got me thinking too- and yet I can come up with no answers or possible ideas as to where it will lead- which means that you are the master of suprises- I love suprises!

I'm really looking forward to Ellicoor and I'm really glad Nel will be in it as she is one of my faveourite characters- and I think if anyone would be well with Maria it would be her, as they are both so similar and serious, logical etc. And I liked how you picked out Ophelia's name from Cliff's solo ending- she is a great character- the bit about the situation where Maria wasn't sure which eye to focus on made me laugh! -

Will Roger and Albel be in it too? It doesn't matter at all... I'm really looking forward to the next chappie! Last thing, I'm really glad someone sees Maria and Sophia as friends despite how different they are- you'd think that with Maria's seriousness, Sophia would annoy her but it's good to see someone else portrays her as having that side too- and that Sophia brings it out and they get along is ace. Waa...sorry for the long review- but there's so much to comment on!
Monochromatic Pylon chapter 1 . 7/8/2006
Wow, a long chapter and very well writen... very nice _
ThrogmortenMimic chapter 2 . 7/8/2006
Before i forget, (because these chapters are so DAMN long, but thats a good thing.)

"Of course," he agreed, still looking rather tense. "They've... expressed curiosity about what you were up to you, I know."

By Dr. Esteed. That doesn't make sense... Could you PLEASE send me a reply that details the correct sentence? And there was another mistake towards the end... in the Sophia/Maris convo... But thats very few for the length.

Also, your points about Maria are true. But she does have her bad points. She can be rather cold, not Albel but still, and she can be overly bossy. Also most people probably joined Quark because of the invincible leader with a firm mindset leading it forth. Or the Liebers, cause shes a good looking girl... *Sigh* Not trying to bash Maria or anything tho, the points you made were not exagerated or overly biased. She is quite a believable Mary Sue.

And I wonder how long this fic will be... It is so DETAILED, and in depth... It really inspires me to work on my own stuff... the genetic concepts help a lot. It's quite hard to seperate what you have added from what the game says... I am a little bit confused with the exact purpose of Fayt's gene now... But i can work with the inspiration you've given me... Now I just need... Oh... a couple free years to work on my fic... I really need to increase my typing speed.

ANYWAY, I would love too see more of this, don't give up on it, like so many have around here... Can't wait to see the portrayl of the rest of the crew.
Lacks Gravitas chapter 2 . 7/6/2006
Novel-worthy writing. I wouldn't see it being a very far stretch to say this kind of stuff could be published (that is, if it Star Ocean weren't copyrighted). As for your take on Maria's character, I find it fair, accurate, and well-reasoned. I might be one of those guilty authors you said portray her as a "lovestruck romantic", though that wasn't really my intention nor is it my true impression of her. I just think that even strong people have their weaknesses and Maria hides them better than others. Besides, as authors we're all entitled to a little elbow-room in our interpretation of these characters, though some of us take a bit more liberty with that right than others. Anyway, kudos on the phenomenal job you're doing. You put the rest of us to shame.
Guest chapter 2 . 7/5/2006
XD Fabulous as always. I especially like the bit about Sophia's coffee-flavoured, chocolate-covered caramel and fudge toffee. Did you make that up or does it really exist?

Your writing takes a unique view of Maria, and I must say that it's very intriguing and interesting.

Looking forward to the next chapter, as always!
Miss Nox chapter 2 . 7/5/2006
I just love this story- I really like Sophia's father in this, actually, and how he and Maria interact and how it was different in different times- like what Maria said about Sophia- because the game gets around her strong principles about hating what was done to her by never giving her a propere chance to do anything about it except for in the Kirlsa training facility.

I also really liked the Fayt, Sophia and Maria chat, the funnies and the serious talk about how life is for them at the moment- I like how they are in reverse- Maria is training but has way less responsibility now that things have calmed down, and Fayt and Sophia are doing more to get the most out of things.

It's really interesting hearing about all te different therories and information about their powers, but a lot of it went over my head- the simple example of gravity and short explanations from Mr. Esteed were much appreciated! -

And lastly (sorry for the huge review) I like the idea of Maria holding all the powers inside of her because they anticipated a change and worked to cancel out and protect and the idea of her powers still being active...whether or not she it's true, and she keeps them all is really nailbiting... I'd hope that she wouldn't have more than her own powers against her own will for long.

I'm really enjoying reading this, you always come out with descriptions I have never heard being used before and that's great, so please continue- I'm sure the next part will be just as excellent! Thanks!
Ronfar chapter 1 . 6/26/2006
This is absolutely brilliant. I've read published novels that don't even come close to being as good as this story has been so far. You really should consider writing as a career; whatever it is that you're doing now is a waste of a great talent. How much money would I have to raise before you could quit your job and write full time?
darkzenith324 chapter 1 . 6/25/2006
Phew! That was alot to get through! Despite it's length though, that was and awesome first chapter. Your writing is perfect, and your deep understanding of Star Ocean and it's characters is used to fit your own storyline incredibly well. It's everything a fanfiction should be! So keep writing, your doing a fantastic job, and update soon. Personally, I can't wait to see how you portray the other characters of the game and the rest of of the Star Ocean universe(specifically Elicoor II)!
Maxmagnus20019 chapter 1 . 6/25/2006
Intensly long chapter, but this story's awesome!

Keep this up, you really seem to have captured the character of Maria.
Miss Nox chapter 1 . 6/24/2006
That was bloody amazing. Please don't give up, my favourite description in this was what Cliff told Maria about Mirage's father! I couldn't stop reading's half one in the morning and I couldn't stop, I should be warned to read your pieces in this story after sleep, right? XD It's so detailed and thoughtful, it's really perfect. So keep going!
Guest chapter 1 . 6/24/2006
I am looking forward very, very much. You're a terrific writer! And verbosity's not bad at all! It's your style, and it's a great style!
ThrogmortenMimic chapter 1 . 6/24/2006
Um, Why aren't you an author? Like a published one thats at he top of the best sellers list? This is so amazing i dont really care about pairings and stuff, i just wana read it! You are definately one of the top authors i've read. That includes all the actual ones that publish books that you go and buy instead of reading free here, lol. Looking forward to updates or anything else that you write. (Damnit i sound like some obsesive fan... Gr... Oh well.)
44 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3