Reviews for The Constant
Chris Stead chapter 4 . 4/8
Another Awesome chapter. I can't stop reading but I have to until tomorrow.
Chris Stead chapter 3 . 4/8
I love this story this is the second time I have read it and it is better the second time. Love the attention to detail.
Guest chapter 30 . 2/28/2016
I have come across this year's after you posted it but I could not read and run. I hope this review finds you well, and still writing. This has been without a doubt the best piece of fanfiction I have ever read. The depth of the characters,the story itself, the detail - just fantastic. I have just spent a day reading the whole thing, addicted and unable to put it down. Thankyou.
Andrea Schuurman chapter 30 . 1/21/2016
What an exhilarating ride this story . I so enjoyed it and want to say Thankyou so much for this story of Jack & Chloe how you described their faces the quirks that Chloe pulled with her face I could see them so clearly I was grateful it started with his rescue I found the torture that Jack endured hard but at least it was over not in the present. All the Characters played before my eyes you are a wonderful writer, and the epilogue The thanksgiving scene was written so beautifully. I was transported to that house and felt a part of that celebration Thankyou for giving Jack a lovely end.
Guest chapter 30 . 5/31/2015
Amazing! A story I come back to year after year. The best ending to Season 5 and a story I wished they shot for the show. It fills in all the details I want to know about what could have happened. Thank you so much!
rainbow-brite13 chapter 30 . 2/24/2015
I know that reviews are like crack to fanfic writers, and so despite the fact that I have found this story years after you wrote it, I wanted to make sure I left something for you.

This was incredible. I spent the better part of today reading all of it, and I was blown away. I have been reading fanfic for years in a variety of categories & from a variety of sources (only just recently thought to look into 24 fics), and I have to say that yours is one of the best stories I have ever read, hands down.

I loved the depth you added to the characters we already knew and cared about, the richness with which you painted the scene of each chapter, and the fullness you gave us of the characters you introduced so that we could truly get to know who they were. I don't always enjoy OCs, but I felt that the people you created for this story were excellent. I didn't always like them, but then again, I don't always like people on the show, either. LOL! And I think that made them even more believable and enjoyable then if I had been gung-ho about them 100% of the time.

This was definitely a story I got completely caught up in. I thought I might read a little bit of it each day until I finished it, but once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. It was everything I could ever hope for from Jack and Chloe fic, and I sincerely believe that you could publish novels if you wanted to.

Thank you so much for writing this, and I hope this review finds you well, despite the passage of years.
Guest chapter 30 . 11/21/2014
Absolutely brillant so glad I stumbled on it fantastic writing
Guest chapter 30 . 7/24/2014
This was the first Jack and Chloe fanfic I ever read and I have never read another one to better it! Superb characterization, brilliant story telling and a happy ending! What more could you ask for
cbishlyn chapter 30 . 7/15/2014
just finshed reading loved your story like jack and chloe this is the first of your storys i read and i will read more
CymraegCariad chapter 30 . 5/11/2012
I just spent the last 3 nights obsessively reading this and now I wish it wasnt over!

There aren't even enough words to express how much I loved this and Ive never even liked any Jack/Chloe stories before. They were just so perfectly written. What Jack went through was heartbreaking, and his reaction in *your* story to being back after being tortured seemed a lot more realistic then how they dealt with it on the show!

Anyway, fantastic story!

-Jen
Dragones chapter 1 . 5/11/2012
Read this a while ago, and I've been looking for it ever since so I can read it again! Just found it, going to read now!
Ghost chapter 30 . 5/14/2011
Hey ChloeRulz:) I've always been into 24 and recently got into 24 fanfiction, especially Chloe/Jack friendship or romantic parrings, and your story is one of the best I've read of them! Your portrayals of Jack and Chloe were not only accurate, but enjoyable. You gave the characters depth, and put in the effort to make well-rounded villains that were even sympathetic at times, like Audrey and the terrorists in the end. Your story had a good arc and you seem to have given your readers everything they could have wanted from the story, with strong, deep, and real emotion. As a creative writing major I know how it feels to go through an intense experience with a piece of work and feel like you've grown coming out of it. I have a little advice for you if you want to work on your writing style and skills. One of the more difficult, but very rewarding skills a writer will eventually learn is the power of restraint, holding back in your narration, dialogue, or action and letting what's NOT said be as powerful as what's actually written on the page. Your writing has a lot of good depth and power, but by implying things you can created a more complex field of emotions for your characters (and therefore your readers too). You have done this a few times in your story already, and if you continue to do so and exercise artistic control over how you structure your scenes and sentences, your writing will only get better and better:)

One of the downsides of reading a lot of fanfiction (and trust me, I learned this the hard way) is that you do get some beautiful, carefully structure, artistic stories, you rarely get that level of greatness in the writing style too. If you want to really amp up your skills as a writer, you have to read some good literature- the classics are great and a lot of modern writers that get reviewed in literary magazines or the new york times will be great examples that will help you think about writing in a whole new way. Read them carefully, first as a "reader" just enjoying the book, but also as a "writer" paying attention to HOW they get the impressions and emotions they do.

Anyways, thanks for giving us 24-lovers this story, and I hope to read more from you! With Kiefer for inspiration, it's hard not to think about all the possibilities!

Ghost
Gyreflight chapter 30 . 5/20/2010
I’m…well, frankly I’m a bit speechless (in a good way). Now that I’ve finished this, I hope I can remember everything I wanted to say.

The two lynchpins of Jack and Chloe’s relationship (whatever it may be) are friendship and trust, and it’s the fact that you keep both of these at the heart of this story, and that you never let either one slip out of focus, that lets it works so believably and so well. Chloe is his friend, and she will not betray that – betray him – no matter what, will not take advantage, nor allow Jack to let himself down.

It’s a difficult balance to hold, but you do a sterling job here of keeping a balance between the clear eyed awareness of how bad a state Jack is in, and the knowledge that this is temporary, that he is healing and mending mentally no less than physically – and that the greater part of ‘why’ is because he has the strength to want to, that he intends to…and that he knows he has someone there to hold on to, someone who will help him keep his head above water until he’s strong enough to do it for himself.

People are good at recognising the fact that weaknesses of the body are temporary, that someone can be physically exhausted and weakened without losing the capacity to regain that strength in time, but they are less good at recognising the same thing of mental injury and exhaustion – that there is a difference between the ebb tide and the salt flats of a dead sea. This story does it better than almost any other I have read.

Chloe’s un-pitying, unjudging, honest friendship really does make her a far better backup for this journey than a more innately sympathetic person might be, and it is never taken too far – when it’s time for her to stop holding him up, she can step back and stop protecting him so that he can stumble, catch his balance, and learn to stand again on his own before anything further can happen between them.

Chloe and Jack are beautifully and carefully drawn, but your secondary characters are also very strongly written – Audrey in particular is written with a solid understanding of her point of view. Others have mentioned your original characters, and I can only add to the applause, though I have to say that although Cassie is the more easily empathised with, Winters may be the more distinctive – I’ve rarely seen a psychiatrist written so sympathetically, or with such humanity, and I genuinely liked her.

That was an impressively powerful piece of work.

Thank you for sharing it.

~Gyre/flight

P.S. sorry for the duplicate review - ffnet logged me out between me writing it and posting it. Feel free to delete the blank/anonymous one.
Guest chapter 30 . 5/20/2010

That was an impressively powerful piece of work.

Thank you for sharing it.

~Gyre/flight
Boss Man chapter 30 . 1/29/2010
WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL story. One of the very best Fanfic's I've ever read. Congratulations, this was excellent work.