Reviews for Hard Weather
elanor of aquitania chapter 1 . 10/28/2011
Nice gap-filler.

I wonder, why don't they use wet sheets to get chilled by evaporation? Humans are sweating to reduce their temperature by evaporation. For better effectiveness, just cool down your lower legs with wet sheets and sleep well :-)
BM originally chapter 1 . 9/9/2006
Ah, how I remember nights like that from my youth, before I took up residence in houses with air conditioning! but at least, even in those days, I had a fan.

This was excellent! I loved it, especially the ending, when Faramir answers, "Unbelievably so." I can so empathize with Eowyn and understand how it is to be so tired but not able to sleep, and being irritated at the least little thing in repsonse. A great piece-please, keep up the good work! You've got talent and I look forward to more of your writings!
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 1 . 8/15/2006
Nicely done vignette.

Your description of Eowyn's suffering through the heat was both realistically detailed and believable. The line where her nightshift was "heavier than mail" especially brought home the feeling that even the lightest of fabrics are unbearable in stifling weather. It's why children kick the sheets off the bed in summertime. Of all the LOTR characters, Eowyn is the one with the most recognizable human failings. The way she smiles when hearing that her husband was suffering through the heat as well didn't come across as malicious; it was just an example of one of those quirks of humanity. We feel better about our own suffering if someone else is going through it along with us because it makes us feel less alone.

Faramir's smile showed his understanding of this, and the image where they fell asleep with their hands almost touching was lovely.
MrsGaryOldman chapter 1 . 6/30/2006
This is very well written - and I loved Faramir's tired talking - cute! Can I ask - would Eowyn be restless because of a certain wedding anniversary?
Arahiril chapter 1 . 6/29/2006
Lovely. You really portray Eowyn as a real person with real annoyances. I hate the heat too, so this is especially perfect from my POV. Your writing is really excellent as well - it has a touch of antiquity but not overly so; you really walk that line well. Thanks for sharing such a great fic!
steelelf chapter 1 . 6/28/2006
LOL, Eowyn is me trying to sleep in the heat. I hate heat. HATE!

Ah well, great story! Poor Wyn!
Susan W chapter 1 . 6/27/2006
Snicker! I love Eowyn's jealousy that Faramir is not annoyed by the heat as she is. He seems to be resting quietly, despite not being truly asleep. But then who would be with her tossing and turning! ;)

His admitting to discomfort pleased her with guilty pleasure. :)

The reader can see that smug look on her face and at last she can finally sleep with the knowledge that she is not suffering alone.

Very well written even for a quicky.
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 6/27/2006
You capture the atmosphere of an oppresively warm night very Eowyn