Reviews for Brushing
Alexz6 chapter 1 . 10/17/2007
this has to be one of my absolute favorite of yours.

the second paragraph (not counting the first line, though that was a great way to begin) and about 2 or 3 others had an astounding effect on me as i read.

i also admired how in her introspection, galinda really thought deeply on how elphaba saw her and what she thought of her.

you also had great imagery & i loved and became so calm when reading certain parts, like how she brushed her hair and the whole bit about the waves cascading from her hair.

adn elphabas lines were very-commanding i guess, really powerful and made a strong statement despite how little she said

i loved it!
thinofsubstance chapter 1 . 6/5/2007
What? What do you mean I haven't reviewed this? I remember reading it and loving it. D:

Oh well. The situation can be easily remedied. :D I think I had two main thoughts, which hopefully should make this review more organized than I usually am. XD

One, I really love the contrasts and little ironies you set up. The "lightness of the triviality she lived" weighing her down, the difference between the subconscious and the conscious-the implied irony of the subconscious being the more conscious of the two. Also, the uncurled versus curled hair, and the two sides they represent.

Basically, wonderful, wonderful job on writing such an insightful introspection, as well as finding a flawless way to showcase the two warring sides of Galinda. (Have I mentioned yet that she's my favorite character? XD)

Two...wait. It'll come to me. Oh, right. The last line. Perhaps I'm just overthinking it and you didn't really mean it to be this way, but I like the ambiguity of it. It seems to me that it could go both ways-either Galinda can't figure out why she cares that Elphaba would be disappointed, or she can't figure out why Elphaba cares enough to criticize her hair. Both of which, to me, are perfectly valid questions, though they both seem to have the same answer. It makes me unreasonably happy that it works out that way-it begins with an ambiguity that could go both ways and ends with the same answer for both. I don't know, nevermind. XD I like inordinately complex things like that.

Also, so much love for your writing style. *heart* I think I've said it before, but...guh. It reads very...smoothly, I guess is the word, and you somehow manage to make give it an air of profundity. (Pretty sure that's a word.) Or the profundity might just be the subject matter. That works too.

(If I haven't already, favorited!)
fancy white trash chapter 1 . 8/20/2006
That was beautifully constructed and so well-written! Oh so wonderfully bookverse. Very refreshing to read :)
KelpayLuv chapter 1 . 7/1/2006
Krimz chapter 1 . 6/28/2006
Beautiful. Your writing style is so intricate and flowing-it was almost as if I was reading an extension of Gregory's novel. Very interesting subject matter, too. I loved that quote when I stumbled upon it as well, but then again a majority of the observations Elphaba has about everyone-everything, even-are just so... lyrical and interesting. You took a great little snippet of a quote and kept the same tone throughout an entire piece of prose, and for that I say "kudos". Excellent work! :)
Greenhell chapter 1 . 6/28/2006
Brillient. I got to go check out more of your work. This was great. You really captured the characters which is what I seem to be struggling at.
pdli chapter 1 . 6/28/2006
Wow. That was tugging at my heartstrings, not in the "its such a sad story" way. But more along the lines of me being able to imagine it perfectly.

Nicely done! Really!

Makes me wanna go and find that whole passage and reread it again just so it can be fresh in my mind.

Anywho... awesome job!