Reviews for The Reality of the Situation
Sara Jaye chapter 10 . 6/20/2013
Wow. I didn't expect to enjoy this story so much but it blew me away. I actually expected much worse than divorce and was glad it wasn't...I feel like too many stories rely on giant drama bombs of death to be effective, but lower-scale traumas can still rock a person's world. And for the Pike kids, this is absolutely perfect: their parents made eight kids together so obviously they were in love. And now they're out of love. And the reactions were spot-on, though I didn't expect to see Claire and Margo as the sad little girl and the overachiever in their later years. What inspired these personas? :)
OzQueene chapter 10 . 4/2/2011
I know I've come upon this story really late, but I still have to leave a comment saying how much I enjoyed it.

Dee and John are one of my favourite pairings in the fandom and this was just so heart-breaking. I couldn't help but hope things would be different at the end of the story, though deep down I knew nothing was going to change.

I love how you managed to give each of the kids a different voice. They all seemed so true to their canon selves, but so individual as well.

You did an amazing job :) I really loved this. Thank you for writing it!
aussiebabe290 chapter 10 . 4/24/2010
really, really well written, i thoroughly enjoyed reading it

love rhyleigh xoxox
digigirl02 chapter 10 . 12/4/2006
One of the best BSC fics, I ever read. I like how you protrayed the Pike family(who have always been a fav.)and their reactions to their parents split.
daffywriter chapter 10 . 7/30/2006
I'm sorry that I did not review this story "live". I love how you fleshed out the Pikes, espeically the triplets. I'd love to see a sequel story addressing the actual life from them after teh divorce. This was really good.
writingtiger chapter 10 . 7/27/2006
M, I was kind of hoping that somehow the Pikes would somehow get back together, kind of like a Parent trap, but this was really well done.
onlylivingboy chapter 10 . 7/20/2006
I'm so sad that this had to come to an end! You have such a wonderful prose, lean and observant. It's really a terrific style. This was such a unique glimpse into the Pike family; I loved all of your choices immensely. I am so looking forward to what you come up with next!
Butterfly Hippie chapter 10 . 7/20/2006
i like this story. its one of the only BSC stories that's actually good. bravo!
McKay chapter 10 . 7/19/2006
I've definitely enjoyed reading this! Sorry I've been so lazy about reviewing, but I've been looking forward to each chapter. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!
Celica60 chapter 10 . 7/19/2006
And...it's over.

You know how much I enjoyed this story, as I've told you so again and again. I'm still very impressed with how you handled the subject and the reactions and created your own unique little universe. And you did it without dialogue! I am impressed.

I love the ending. The last paragraph is wonderful. I like how you leave us wondering what comes next for the Pikes without any real hint as to how things turn out. I think that's what I like most about this story - it's a tiny glimpse into a moment in all the Pikes' lives. Well done.
CNJ chapter 10 . 7/19/2006
Good ending; I like how Dee and John realize that even though their marriage is over, their family is still as intact as ever. I also like that you capture their humanity and make them into real ppl. who truly care about their kids. Very well-written story and very touching.
CNJ chapter 9 . 7/17/2006
Aw, poor Claire. I feel so sorry for her. It also sound like she has a poor self-esteem in thinking herself "not good at anything." It'd be nice of Dr. Reese (who in book canon is a wonderful shrink, esp. when Mary Anne goes to see her) and her folks helped Claire become good at something so her self-esteem will improve.

I've always noticed that kids who are aware of their talents and have something they are good at are much less likely to get into trouble than kids who haven't developed any purpose or skills in their lives.

I hope you'll add a chapter on Diana Pike and John Pike each; it'd be nice to hear their thoughts on the impending divorce. Divorce is usually painful for the ENTIRE family, not just the kids.

Can't wait to see more!
Celica60 chapter 9 . 7/16/2006
Oh, Claire is so sweet. Her chapter is heartbreaking. Poor Claire. It really must be hard to have to live up to so many talented, accomplished siblings. It's understandable that Claire would feel lost in the shuffle. No wonder she has so many problems. I just feel so bad for her. At least she's popular at school, even if she doesn't feel noticed at home. But that's really not much of a consolation, especially since Claire obviously has serious self-doubts and worries.

I liked this line: "She loved her Daggles, but he was a silly-billy-goo-goo who didn’t really know anything about what was going on with their family. Maybe that was why he was divorcing them all." The first part is funny, but then that last sentence, I feel sorry for Claire all over again.

This story continues to impress. I'm beginning to think the Pikes aren't such fabulous parents. All their kids have serious issues. Of course, it sounds like Mrs. Pike's done most of the work herself for a long time, so maybe I shouldn't fault her.
CNJ chapter 8 . 7/13/2006
Interesting...interesting. Realistic also because many kids do deal with change this way, burying themselves in homework. Can't wait to read Claire's chapter.

Hey, will you be adding something from John and Dee Pike, each of them? I'd be neat to see.
Celica60 chapter 8 . 7/11/2006
This is my favorite chapter so far. And Margo is my favorite Pike kid. I understood everything Margo was feeling, or not allowing herself to feel. I like Margo a lot and I love your portrayal of her. She's so emotionally repressed, it's heartbreaking, but I completely understand her reasons and why she pushes away all the things that are too burdensome to dwell on. I suspect Margo is headed for a breakdown someday. She won't be able to hide in her schoolwork forever. Someday, she'll have to face the real world.

Excellent, excellent.