Reviews for The Slave of the Ring
Stoneage Woman chapter 1 . 7/2/2006
I'ts a bit...random, but it was nice that you experimented. I'm actually a bit amazed; you LOVE Faramir, so I was surprised that you wrote this one from Boromir's POV. I also find the idea fascinating, because Boromir probably would have seen the Ring during this scene in FoTR. Well-written, and a breath of fresh air, but would it insult you if I asked you to stick to Faramir-Aragorn fiction in the future, for the most part? Nice as this is, your other fics are nicer.
Alenor Peredhel chapter 1 . 7/2/2006
Wow. I really liked it. Definately a gap-filler there and definately gets the sympathy flowing for Boromir. Sort of. I like how it gives his side of this story, you rarely see that. Very enjoyable and forgive me for my lateness!
spiritstallion chapter 1 . 7/2/2006
This is very good. I think you would like The Pebble.
Pentangle-linnon chapter 1 . 7/2/2006
Lovely! I cannot believe I missed how well the Ring-Cycle poem fits LotR - that was a *wonderful* way to begin the story!

The characterizations were all dead on and you used the actual text very effectively and seamlessly with your own words.

Your prose is delicious and one of the main things I look for in a story. I don't care how exciting or angsty a plot is if the prose is just 'meh'. That's what I look at first.

Pentangle
Ithil-valon chapter 1 . 7/2/2006
Interesting take. As a big Boromir fan, I guess I would like to fall into the so-called Boromir is god fangroup, though I would certainly NOT categorize the stories enjoy as such.

Many great men were tempted by the ring and found wanting. That Boromir came to his senses and did not take the ring, but in fact gave his life protecting his little ones, speaks volumes to me. But that's me. It's different strokes for different folks.
fmlyhntr chapter 1 . 7/2/2006
A very good gapfiller. Boromir's train of thought is seemingly logical that it doesn't seem like the Ring's influence at all.
JuliaAurelia chapter 1 . 7/2/2006
Excellent story, and so refreshing to read after all the Boromir-is-god stories on this site. I feel you have done a good job capturing Tolkien's Boromir and the way he would think and feel. Poor man, first thinking how his father would reject Aragorn's claims to the throne, then thinking how all Gondor would welcome the Ranger, if he only brought back the Ring. Good depiction of the first stages of Boromir's obsession with the Ring, which we know only escalated until it caused his untimely death.
lucidity chapter 1 . 7/2/2006
I enjoyed that very much. I couldn't tell you don't like Boromir as much. You wrote him very well.

Did you find writing first-person more difficult? I do.
harrowcat chapter 1 . 7/2/2006
A nice change Linda, although I, too, prefer Aragorn stories. I like the observation about Aragorn going from gentle to stern so easily. A trait he would need as a king unfortunately.
Lhaewin chapter 1 . 7/2/2006
A surprise on a Sunday morning! :)

The ficlet shows very well how much Boromir had been tempted by the Ring - and how much it influenced his thoughts against Aragorn.

Aragorn himself isnt very diplomatic, when he commands Boromir like that - in a way I can understand the Stewards son.
Laerien chapter 1 . 7/1/2006
The site doesn't allow me to log in! :o/

I was so surprised to see this alert in my mailbox that it took me some seconds to realise the author is... You know, I've never thought to see a Boromir-story from you, not that I complain!

I loved the idea that this could have been the moment where Boromir became 'the slave of the Ring'. And that on him, the athelas had no effect.

"I never could quite fathom the man; he could be warm and gentle one moment, unyielding as granite the next." I think this is my favourite sentence! :o)
MarzBar chapter 1 . 7/1/2006
This is a fab ficlet with the most appropriate title. Poor Boromir.
Nobodyknowsmenow chapter 1 . 7/1/2006
Wel... Bori is one of my favorite characters, so I am less than thrilled with him right now, however it is true to Tolkien. Good!

I also liked Boromir thinking of Faramir, it was cute!
28 | « Prev Page 1 2