Reviews for The Day the Music Died
aapenname chapter 1 . 3/21/2017
ugh. The idea of Sam dying, unmourned, in a fire makes me wanna puke with sadness. That's like his worst nightmare. Ugh. This literally made me cry.
lexilynn07 chapter 1 . 2/2/2014
I really love it. It's extremely heartbreaking and beautiful, you use the simplest words to tell the most complicated relations between them...please can i translate it into Chinese to show it to more people, please, i won't screw it up, please...TT
twinchaosblade chapter 1 . 11/10/2008
What a great, incredibly well-written and emotional introspection into the characters of Sammy, Dean and also John. You honestly moved me to tears with this.

I can see how heart-braking and devastating the effects of Dean's death would be to Sammy, how different they are on their approach to hunting and the reasons why they stayed and fought. They both made sacrifices for the other, making the other's contentment their own first duty, possibly not realizing the extent of dependency it put them in, or maybe realizing but not caring. At the end of the day they are each other's greatest strength, weakness, success and failure.

And even though they died without the world taking notice or recognizing its loss, I'm beyond sure they will live on in the memories of those they saved, if not remembered by name, they certainly were by their deeds.

Cheers!
Cookie6 chapter 1 . 4/9/2008
Nearly two years to the day since you wrote this and I find it. And it's still as relevant, still as sad, as poignant, as bittersweet, as truthful. Even more after Dean's deal and Mystery Spot.

We say alot in our reviews that our hearts break and we cry virtual tears. And this is true. Many fics move me to the point that I mull them over in my head for ages, interrogating how I feel over and over. But right now i did cry, I was blubbering before I got past Mary's death, needed a walk by time I got to Sam's death. The way you mapped each death back against how it impacted on the surviving Winchesters was deep and emotional.

It's not just the whole concept that blew me away, it's how you write. You craft words with skill and the result packs a punch. It is truly a stunning piece of work.

Hate the idea, but have a niggling fear it might be just like this. I really wanted to pretend I didn't read it, but sh1t, truth hurts. Kripke has always said he needs five seasons to tell the Winchester's story. I hope he gives our boys some closure and peace. Thank you for your bravery in writing this.
Robin chapter 1 . 9/11/2007
This is so sad, I almost wish I hadn't read it. I would hate for the Winchester saga to end this way! HATE IT! But I cannot deny you have a way with words, my friend, and you made me cry hard here. Love, Robin
nicklebackfan chapter 1 . 9/5/2007
i loved it.
bubblesquirt chapter 1 . 5/24/2007
This was freaking sad. Almost brought me to tears. I feel so.. empty. :(
freaker chapter 1 . 3/22/2007
so freaking sad! i loved it. pretty sure the brothers can stand to lose anything but each other.
Dean's-Goddess chapter 1 . 3/15/2007
wow that was so deep and emotional ive got a lump in my throught just thinking about it

that was an amazing story

you told the love of the brothers so well
SophieSaulie chapter 1 . 3/2/2007
Wow, beautifully worded! Every paragraph is pitch perfect, succinct, delicate, loving, a tribute to all the Winchester men! You did an awesome job and I felt every emotion, envisioned every nuance. Just truly lovely and very bittersweet.

My fav parts were:

She had been the center of his universe and that was something he didn't know how to grieve, didn't know how to let go of. He couldn't think about what she would have wanted, because she never would have wanted to die, never would have wanted to stare down at her son as she burst into flames, never would have wanted to be the epicenter of the tragedy that rocked her family for the rest of their lives. - BEAUTIFUL! So little is written about Mary in detail. This was a great tribute to a wife and mother.

Darkness didn't deserve her, and she didn't deserve it. - Lovely wording.

He knew it when he saw that Sam had become just like their father, when Sam saw vengeance as the end. It didn't matter what he had to do as long as the end was in sight and as long as the end was good.

Dean didn’t look at the end. Not really. He could talk about it that way, but for him, it was the pursuit that mattered. That’s where life was lived, and that’s what hunting was for him. It was just the means he used to keep his family together. - Loved the part about pursuit mattering to Dean. It's so true!

As long as he was breathing, he would keep them safe, alive, and together. Always together. - The epitome of Dean

Dean hunted for the greater good. He did it to save people. - So true!

Dean made the emptiness less vast. Dean made the emptiness less lonely. Dean made the emptiness less real.

Dean had always been the one. Dean had balanced Sam, anchored Sam, saved Sam. And when Sam realized how much Dean had given, Sam knew that his older brother was the only person left in his life that mattered. - Loved that Dean "balanced Sam" and "anchored Sam". I can see that!

The day Dean Winchester died, the world stopped. For Sam anyway. Sam had stayed for Dean, hunted for Dean, gave everything up—including his dreams and passions—for Dean. Without Dean, nothing else mattered.

Dean running next to his bike as it wobbled, his hand steadying it, his voice promising, "Just keep peddling, Sammy," before he let go and let Sam fly.

Dean sitting in the car, windows down, tape blaring, waiting with the parents outside of Sam’s high school, a smile on his face as he said, "Dude, did you bring your whole locker home?"

Dean in his apartment at Stanford, his humor covering the fear, as he asked him to come back.

Dean at their father’s grave, his face stoic, his eyes wet, saying, "This is how it ends, Sammy. But we’re still standing."

Dean on the ground, his gun, unfired, still in his lax grip, his face pallid, his eyes filmy, "Not this time, Sammy."

Those paragraphs made me sob! I can so see Dean acting as substitute parent, giving Sam what all kids get. Then his ending..gulp and sob!

"Yes, for love," they would agree, nodding sagely from their safe distance, never truly touched by tragedy. And Sam would nod back, knowing they would never truly understand.

Excellent story.

Thanks for sharing it! I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Zadrak chapter 1 . 1/2/2007
*is in tears*

what a great way to look at a story!

*sniffs*

Great stuff dude, many kudos

xZx
bbdarknyss chapter 1 . 11/9/2006
guh, weeping like a baby here.

Driving home today, thinking of the boys, I was wondering how Sam would react if Dean died. Your fic approximates my thoughts earily close.

Except that your writing is much more beautiful than my thinking.
Nana56 chapter 1 . 10/12/2006
Yep, for love. That's it. Well done!
SomeoneElsesDream chapter 1 . 10/10/2006
Wow...um...wow. This was amazing. I actually cried. I must admit, as uncomfortable as I am with not giving the Winchester's a happy ending, I realize that they probably won't get one. Beautifully done.
Redwinged Blackbird chapter 1 . 9/13/2006
I started to read this (and I will finish, I promise!) but I absolutely had to say this before reading anymore because it's one of my fav. songs... The song name is American Pie, there are a few people who sing it, take your pick :P. Sorry, something in my brain started screaming at me about that little detail (possibly because I was going to make it into a song fic at one point) and maybe because out of freakish coinsidence I was listening to it when I clicked... Sorry, I had to speak up. (she reads on...)
51 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »