Reviews for The Darker Side of Life
Keeper-of-the-Cheese chapter 8 . 12/4/2008
Quite the fantastic little story you've got going here!...Even if it has been a few years since your last update...Oh, well. I can still appreciate a fine piece of literature, no matter ow long it's been around, or , Ahem, how long it's been since your last update..*hint,hint* ;}Just letting you know that if you ever decide to reboot the story, I'll be reading!

Keeper-of-the-Cheese
skywalker05 chapter 3 . 10/5/2006
Concerning the review reply:

I understand. The point I was trying to make was that I understand why the characterization is so off; but that almost makes our Sith an original character, and therefore with a different sent of likeable or dislikable character traits. Fanfiction readers don't often want to reinvent their opinion of a character for a fic, I think. People expect and therefor want the "evil bastard". lol!

"stupid fangirly obsessions" Define this and we can talk more, if you want.

MTFBWY

"skywalker"
skywalker05 chapter 2 . 9/30/2006
Very nice ending! This is...different. The fact is, I agree with Dooku that Maul is not, could not, be the same. Again, I'm not sure if that takes the fun out of the description in this one...This incorrect word "Tattoo’s" really jolts that sentance because it ought to be 'tatoos'.
skywalker05 chapter 1 . 9/30/2006
This sentance "His apprentice was talking a great deal more than usual, which suggested severe memory loss. " amused me immensely, so I decided to review you now.

This first scene reminds me of a fusion of Frankenstein, Vader's rebirth, and that comic 'Old Wounds', which you probably ...I don't quite understand why Dooku is "attatched" to Maul. The characterization here, with that last comment added in a little, so far can't be told, but it seems off. I mean, of course Maul would be different if he went through all this (and well you do portray agony) but that takes a little bit of the coolness out of it...so I will reserve judgement. Good prose, with generally good description which sometimes falls short of that writer's greatest desire, realistic clarity. I started reading this because on the main site it's right next to my story about Maul surviving untill the time of Vader-so perhaps comparisons can be drawn between them.
Darth Indurate chapter 8 . 9/27/2006
Great stuff. I've been thinking of a Maul story too...but yours is better already. Again, great work.
Jax Solo chapter 7 . 9/26/2006
Hooray! I'm glad you're back Rach. Really like this chapter, moving on. Glad Maul remembers the Force now!
Jax Solo chapter 5 . 8/17/2006
This is actually to chapter six (stupid drone/computer thingy...).

Now, Rachel, you have to keep working on this! If you're imbedded in the Malfoy story, that's alright, but keep coming back to this! I find myself understanding what Maul's going through (isn't that weird?), and constantly attracted to what he does next! So tempting...
auri mynonys chapter 6 . 8/7/2006
Mwa ha ha! Dune is a jerk and yet cool at the same time! Kind of like Jack and Maul, actually...

Question: Yanth is a hutt, not a card game, unless you made up a card game in his honor, which would actually make a lot of sense, since he ran a cantina on Coruscant's lower level.

I really like that Maul could just sit there and point out what everyone was doing wrong. Now Dune will absolutely have to keep him around. And of course Maul will somewhat go nuts when he thinks about Jedi and learning Jedi tricks... *sigh* Poor guy.

Oh, there was a line that I really liked. I'm reading this at work and I seriously busted out laughing when I read this: “It bloody looked like a canon! And he is a stupid tentacled git!” Great work, my friend.

Hurry up and write some more Maul goodness. I heart Maul more than I can possibly say, and I love reading fanfics about him.

auri mynonys chapter 5 . 8/7/2006
Iridonia was destroyed? Really? That's depressing... and I had a whole culture invented for it and everything... unless, of course, you just made that up. But it HAS been awhile since I've brushed up on my SW history.

One nitpick: I thought that the number of Zabrak horns had to do with what tribe/clan/thing they were from. Like, Eeth Koth has the horns on his head that are all in the front and then he has hair, but Maul has the eleven horns around the top of his head and by his ears and no hair. This, as I understood it, had to do with different clans. And I also thought they were ALL Iridonian, although they did tend to wander. Again, this is just from what I remember from a couple of years ago, so correct me if I'm wrong.

auri mynonys chapter 4 . 8/7/2006
Uh-oh. Jack is up to no good.

I really like the visual I'm getting of Maul's coat and shirt... heh. He WOULD look like a gang leader. And Jack is absolutely hilarious. I liked the whole thing about the Twi'lek girl. "I thought she was just playing!" Yeah, no doubt, Jack.

So when are you going to draw a picture of Maul in this outfit of awesome? XD

Jax Solo chapter 6 . 8/4/2006
Nice...I really like Maul's battle style, so I couldn't see him leaving the scene right away. I can't wait for the next chapters and what happens next. Will Maul discover his past? Will he re-embrace the dark side or reverse from his past?

WILL HE GET ANOTHER DOUBLE-BLADED LIGHTSABER?
auri mynonys chapter 3 . 8/4/2006
Wow... Jack is very clearly Jack Sparrow. You might want to try creating a less recognizable character - somebody original. One other thing, too - nobody, not even in the Crimson Corridor of Coruscant, would touch Darth Maul with a ten foot pole. I don't care HOW valuable his legs are; a man who looks that dangerous will scare off anyone who even remotely thinks of harming him. It seems you've read Shadow Hunter, so I'll refer to that - pretty much everyone in the Crimson Corridor avoids him (when he's conscious) because they don't want to die, and Maul would undoubtedly kill them without thinking twice. Just some food for thought.

auri mynonys chapter 2 . 8/4/2006
I *knew* there was a reason I hated Dooku.

Seriously, though, I think it's interesting that you've built a relationship between Maul and Dooku but I don't think it's very canon. Dooku came after Maul. Palpatine/Sidious was pretty firm about keeping the "only two Sith at one time" rule. Even though I think (unless I'm wrong) Dooku was training an apprentice during the Clone Wars, I don't think Palpatine was aware - or, if he was, he didn't intend to let him/her live.

auri mynonys chapter 1 . 8/4/2006
Great concept. I love Maul returns fics, impossible though they may be. A few nitpicks: You add random commas into sentences. Be careful that you're not overusing them. Probably this has already been pointed out to you by rabid purists, but it's Coruscant, not Curascant. Also, watch out for run-on sentences. I would suggest getting a beta reader - that'll help with the grammar immensely. Other than that I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this fic!

Sara Fade chapter 1 . 7/4/2006
Wow, really creative. I'm surprised you would think of erasing his memory and everything, but very nice.