Reviews for A Thermos for Valerie
Auua Ytjoml chapter 11 . 10/10/2013
I just love the ending to this chapter. No matter how many times's I've read it it still gets me; coming as one of those warm fuzzy surprises that you know is coming and yet still manage to make you shriek (or gasp or laugh or whatever you do - I was going for the Christmas analogy) for joy. Great job!
God Bless!
Auua
DiscordianSamba chapter 3 . 3/28/2013
Oh wow, you write Valerie and Danny very well. Going on to read more of this for sure, it's great!
Lizzhugsturtles chapter 6 . 6/30/2012
Wow. I like this
Pinnatus chapter 12 . 4/5/2012
Definitely one of my favorite fics ever! I love how you took the idea that Danny's obsession is not to become evil and if he does become evil to ensure he can't bring any harm. Using Valerie as a plot device in combination with his secret and forgiveness makes everything work brilliantly. I can't stop marveling at your genius!

So well-written and really flows like a are so many positive things that make this story work. Danny encounters problems and things don't go as planned. Valerie is believable because she doesn't forgive him right away. Jazz is so IC and would definitely be scolding Danny and quoting some egg head.

It had just the right amount of sarcasm, character development, suspense and surprise. You really used 1st person POV to your advantage.

Keep up the great work!
Murazor chapter 1 . 3/20/2012
I liked the story a great deal, particularly the exploration of Danny's foibles and his having an actual reason for giving Valerie the Thermos, beyond simple honesty and friendship.

Because giving her that thing and trusting her was the decent thing to do, but giving her something Just In Case is also the smart thing to do (TM).
Lady GryphonInia chapter 1 . 1/20/2012
AWESOME! :D
Vague Apparitions chapter 12 . 12/4/2010
Ack. This was awesome.

- Vague.
anonymous baka chapter 7 . 11/1/2010
Second verse, the same as the first;

a little bit louder, a little bit worse.

That would be HILARIOUS if Danny sang that to Val.

Or if Tucker locked Danny in a ghost shield and sang until he went insane... wow i'm so mean _
cattychan09 chapter 1 . 7/14/2010
(Loudly and off-key, while splashing)

I'm picking out a Thermos for you

Not an ordinary thermos for you

But the extra best thermos you can buy

with vinyl

and stripes

and a cup built right in!

I'm picking out a Thermos for you

And maybe a barometer too.

And what else can I buy,

so on me you will rely,

a rear-end thermometer too.

-Steve Martin (as Navin R. Johnson in "The Jerk")
TheSixthSin chapter 4 . 5/28/2010
Well, at least your half right. Ghosts can't die, but they can fade. Like humans use blood to live, paranormal beings need ectoplasm to remain in a stable form. If they lose enough ectoplasm, they're gone. Other than that the story is good so far...Oh, yeah! The ghost dog's name is Cujo (see the part where Phantom throws Cujo back in the portal). You know? Like Stephen King's Cujo? Sorry, horror humor. Comes with the whole goth thing... Anyways, like I said, It's good so far. Oh, and sorry for this rant! _
Alluring Alliteration chapter 12 . 2/6/2010
This is really good. At the end of the last chapter, where you asked " don't you turst her" in my head I was going "hell no!", but I'm glad you have more faith in her than I do. Anyway, great job. PS. Valerie's plan totally kicked Danny's plan's butt.
Donteatacowman chapter 11 . 2/5/2010
Oh my. I've read this before, and liked it a lot then, but somehow managed to skip the significange of these few lines:

I had met Valerie– strong, responsible, adult Valerie– amid the smoking ruins of Amity Park, ten years in the future... She is the one person I can count on to be ruthless enough to do what may someday need to be done.

I trust her. And this time, she has a Thermos.

Wow. Um, geez. And all those other surprise-conveying words. So THAT's why Danny was so obsessed with that Thermos. He was afraid of his possible-evil-future-self, and Valerie having no Thermos to trap him in. Amazing twist. Great job.

Thanks for writing!
lokobookworm95 chapter 11 . 12/22/2009
Oh, so THAT'S why he wants her to have a thermos.
Sargent Snarky chapter 12 . 12/26/2008
Well... damn it. I had a very long, detailed review all typed up here, and then my browser decided to crash on me, and I lost the whole bloody thing. You have no idea how depressing that is, because it really /was/ long. I'll do my best to recreate it, but I give no guarantees that this'll be as coherent. I'm sorry in advanced for any rambling or abrupt tangents.

Firstly, let me say that this story is EXACTLY one of the stories I've been looking for amidst the DP fanfiction. I have a mental list of particular stories - or types of stories - that I want to see written in the DP world. Chief among these are well-written stories featuring Mr. Lancer, stories exploring the psychological effects of some of the trauma in the episodes on characters and, of course, something with Danny confessing to Valerie.

Reading this was a pleasure from beginning to end. It is not the first Danny admitting to Valerie I've read, but it is the most memorable - and I believe that comes in the details.

I love Danny's asides - his contemplations of another ghost getting shut in the thermos with him and his noting of certain reactions/feelings/mannerisms that are common between himself and Valerie, especially. I loved it when he phased his arm straight through his chest (geeze, that must have been uncomfortable). I loved Valerie's reactions to things - when she hit him over the head with the thermos, I could not suppressed a laugh and a wince. And I loved how Danny trusted her.

The end of chapter eleven was pretty powerful and made a lot of sense, particularly in this context.

So, the short of it is that I adored this fic, like many others - if 230 previous reviews is anything to go by. hehe.

Sure, it's been over two years since you wrote it, but that doesn't mean much. I'm not sure I would have appreciated this if I'd read it two years ago. I saw Danny Phantom when it was first aired, near the end of my freshman year of high school, and intrigued as I was, I never became quite so interested in it as I have at college.

Originally it was a way to pass the time in between papers and things. I'd never actually seen the whole series, and upon rediscovering it after looking through someone's list of the 'best fanfiction ever' and seeing something DP, I figured I'd poke about and find the episodes and watch them, again, in order and all.

Anyway, point is, I have an appreciation for them now (except for the third season, which was disappointing) that I don't think I could have had in high school. It's the possibilities of the concept...

Which actually brings me to another point...

I took a look at your website and was promptly distracted for several hours, reading through your reviews of episodes (and I do hope you write reviews to the remainder of the episodes, because they're quite enjoyable to read - and I am particularly curious about what you have to say on Phantom Planet.) and your rants.

And I have two questions for you.

1) Would you mind if I borrowed a few of the ideas? I don't know what I'd borrow, as I'm not even sure what I'll write, yet. I have a bunch of DP stories bounding around in my head, and I'm not sure which ones will get written, or if they'll even involve any of the ideas and speculations on your site. But I want to know if it's all right anyway - just in case. If so, I will do my best to remember to give credit (I sometimes forget where I get ideas, you see).

2) Since you seem to have put a lot of thought into this sort of thing... how much of his ghost power do you think Danny can access when in human form? Obviously the intangibility and invisibility and flying, but... what else? Or is that it?

Bah. My original review was smoother, and I know I'm forgetting something. x_x But... I really did love this story quite a bit, as well as the other writing of yours I've read so far.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

- Snarky
Thunderstorm101 chapter 12 . 11/9/2008
Very nice. So...it's not that he trusts her not to hurt him, it's that he trusts her to do anything and everything in her power to keep Amity Park safe, even if he is no longer able, or willing, to defend it...even if she has to fight him to do so.

She's his fail-safe...I like it.