Reviews for Fire of Unknown Origin
ROBINV chapter 1 . 3/24/2008
OH! This is so terrible! I've never read this from Mary's viewpoint before, and it's so awful to know she had fears of this from the very beginning, even when Sam was conceived. WHY did the YED claim Sam? There's no hint here that Mary knew him except in whispers and fears, out of the corner of her eye. She didn't see him feeding Sam demon blood, either. So. . .what is it all about? Very sad. Poor Mary. Her last thoughts are of John, Dean and Sam. And for the next 23 years, theirs will be of her! Excellent story! Love, Robin
MollybyGolly chapter 1 . 9/26/2006
damn, that was so good! hey, fire of unknown origin is a blue oyster cult album, isn't it? it has (don't fear) the reaper & burnin' for you, right? yeah. awesome story...i liked how mary narrated it.
december21st chapter 1 . 9/2/2006
That was well-done. Thank you.
Sexi Silver chapter 1 . 7/25/2006
Wow! This was emotion, but written so well. Congrats big time! Definatly a fave! I love how you had it out of MAry's point of view, very original. Loved it!

*Silver
Evergreene chapter 1 . 7/24/2006
Wow. What a wonderful mix of humour and angst. It was lovely to read the character you created for Mary, especially in regards to the bits of Sam visible in her, or her in Sam I guess, such as the whole college thing. Little Dean was so cute. I'm still chuckling about the Franken-sam thing hehe!
Silver Kitten chapter 1 . 7/23/2006
Amazing, just amazing. You wrote the gradual haunting of Mary so spectacularly. I've never read anything like this, owned by Mary's perspective and traveling so far into in her story. What a silent tragedy it was for her to have these nightmares and see those eyes and hear those voices that wanted to claim her unborn son...and I love how you showed how concerned she was about it all, but you kept her human nonetheless and showed why she wanted to tell John but just couldn't. She wanted to make sense of the nightmares and the fear but she couldn't, and how could she? You brilliantly mastered her internal struggle.

I loved how you showcased the Mary/John relationship. They truly loved each other and had Mary been allowed a different fate, I believe they could pull off the difficult to obtain "happily ever after" kind of life.

And little Dean, aw, my God, how adorable. The scene with the pretend driving was just so cute and amusing. And you tossed that in there as a nice contrast to the "department store fight" that John and Mary were having. Which, by the way, when John relented and asked if she still wanted to buy the outfit? That was a wonderful moment and really proved how much he cared for his wife (not that we, at the present time, need that kind of proof...twenty years of hunting evil in a search for Mary's killers is proof enough!).

Loved Dean wanting to name the baby Frankenstein, then later he wanted to be unique and came up with "Franken-Sam", thus sparking Mary to choose Sam, or Sammy. That's a clever way for how they chose that for his name, and really suited Dean's character.

And oh, I thought you gave such a terrific spin on Mary's character with her wanting to go back to college, and her reasoning behind it really suited who I think she was. You blended perfect maternal fear with the will of a strong woman who wanted more in life so easily, and then came that sad realization that she kept to herself about how she may not have much of a life left. It only seemed to amplify John's future discouragement of Sam going to college.

Probably my favorite scene was when Dean first got to hold Sam and he stopped crying. That was so poignant and touching, and a great foretelling of their future of how Dean would become the security blanket for Sam.

"Another drop of blood falls through the air and lands on John’s hand, and now I can see him looking up towards the ceiling, up towards me, and I can read the instant horror that mars his features, and I can read in his eyes: I’m sorry, Mary, I don’t know how to fix this."- That right there? Broke me. Very powerful stuff.

Once again your imagery is inspiring.

"The chill ran through me as the voiceless words drifted through the room like shadows." and "He’s mine. Like crinkling, dead leaves. Like a crackling bonfire." for example. You have this beautiful way of mingling the senses together. You give sound to an idea and a picture for a thought. I just love it.

This is the first Supernatural story I've read in a few months now (Yes, I did suffer withdrawal), and you're one of those authors who remind me why I love this world of fanfiction so much.
ChanceTakerHeartBreaker x3 chapter 1 . 7/16/2006
great story! Iluv dean and franken- sam
Phx chapter 1 . 7/6/2006
Red Hardy recommended this story to me and I am so glad she did. I loved this first person. It is so sad, bittersweet, poignant and complete.

Very well written and inspired. I have read other stories about Mary but this is the first one I have seen that felt like you actually captured her character.

Thank you for writing it and posting it!

Phx
amy jonas chapter 1 . 7/6/2006
This was simply brilliant. Brilliant and haunting. Poor Mary; to be dogged by the demon throughout her pregnancy; feeling, knowing, fearing something was after her child.

And now we know why she apologized to Sam in "Home".

A soft whining sound met my ears, and it took me a moment to realize that it came from the baby monitor. Not again. I had the urge to chuck the damn monitor across the room, just to watch it break. But I knew I had to go tend to Sammy. He cried a lot more than Dean ever did, but mostly just at night. As though he could sense something in the room with him.

Scary thought that ther demon could have been in the nursery other night; that Sam as a baby could sense the evil.

And to end on a happy...loved the nickname "Franken-sam and Dean's energy. :)

Thanks for the awesome read.

Amy
Red Hardy chapter 1 . 7/6/2006
WOW! Where do I begin? What an amazing piece of writing! I was totally mesmerized! I loved how in your version Mary 'knew' something was wrong, knew something was after her son, yet at the same time couldn't/wouldn't believe it.

John was written perfectly and Dean was the adorable bundle of energy I always picture him as in the years before Mary dies.

Thoroughly enjoyed the bit of humor in the origin of Sam's name!

A wonderfully beautiful, sad story! I love reading stories about Mary (correction - GOOD stories about Mary!) and this one was amazing! Must go pass the link on to others who appreciate a well-written, ORIGINAL story!
LostandAlone22 chapter 1 . 7/5/2006
Chilling. It would be terrifying for Mary if that was how it all happened.