Reviews for In the Shadow of my Father
Built on the Horizon chapter 12 . 3/10/2008
I just have to say, this fanfic is probably the best story I have ever read... closely followed by Being Jason White. I've read the entire thing through about four times, two of those times I've mouthed along, or actually spoken the words along with them. This story is just so wonderful in everything. I'm a sucker for angst and romance and drama and family. Guess what I found!... but seriously, this is magnificent. The voice of the characters is just wonderful, I can really feel all the essence of them pouring out of it. Especially in the dialouge you've given them, but also in the movements, simple things like:

"“Oh, my God,” he sighed into his hand. He made a fist and pressed it against his upper lip in thought. “How long have you felt this way?” he asked so quietly I almost thought I imagined it... His eyes shut tight before he covered them with his hand. “Oh, my God,” he groaned again. “No wonder you hate me.”... He took another moment to run his hand through his hair before looking at me again. The frown on his face echoed mine, as did the confusion. The hurt reflected in his eyes was difficult to endure. He looked as if he might cry. I’d seen him visibly shaken. I’d seen him worried and emotional. But I’d never seen him cry. His reaction to my words only puzzled me all the more.

Suddenly he stood up and walked away from me, keeping his back to me so that I couldn’t judge the emotion on his face. His arms were crossed in front of his chest and his voice was low and shaking. “Wow, Jason. Wow.” He paused, and I heard a small puff of air escape him like a tiny laugh."

Just the description of his hand movements is enough to break me in this bit. Picturing Superman as overwhelmed as this just kills me! Good job!

The entire chapter 10, the scene with Jason confronting Clark is probably my favourite, read it heaps.

I love the first person voice. tricky, but nice, very nice. The internal monolouges, the questions, especially (another quote from chapter 10, because I love it so much):

"Don’t say it, I screamed mentally. No. I can’t…

“…I will always love you.”

I covered my face with my hands, not wanting him to witness what was happening to me. I didn’t believe it myself. How many years had I waited to hear those words? How many years had I believed just the opposite of what he was now telling me? How had I ever let it go on this long without confronting him? What little restraint I had in keeping my emotions in check was lost for good now and I cried into my hands freely."

I just love the way you've done Jason. It's great.

I hope you dont mind, but I've taken my own spin on the failed relationship between Jason and Clark, you've imprinted it so deep into my mind! It'll be different though, very different, if I ever get around to finishing it.

You write like a movie, well I can see the whole thing playing out in front of me, good job!

I nearly cried playing along to chapter 10, and trust me, thats niegh impossilbe.

my, just so you know, I never write reviews this long. Ever. This is solid gold, man.

Built on the Horizon
DarkNightChilde chapter 12 . 2/13/2008
I say this with complete sincerity:

You just became my favorite Superman fanfiction writer.
Sakura Scout chapter 12 . 1/11/2008
Only two or three out of all the written pieces I have read in my 19 years of life have ever moved me to tears and this is one of them. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful story. -
MamboKings chapter 12 . 1/5/2008
So many things in this story reduced me to tears. It was so real and wonderful, I can't wait to read the companion.
CoyoteWolf chapter 12 . 12/27/2007
*sobs* OMG...this fic is just...so full of mixed emotions. I almost cried seven times in the last four chapters. Damn. good job. *sniffs*
Peace Like a River chapter 12 . 12/18/2007
Amazing story. I loved everything about it - the angst, the emotions, and that little heartwarming scene at the end (I just knew Jason would pass those same words on to his son :-) Awesome. Also, I think the family situation in your story is a lot more probable than the one you see in lots of other fics, where Superman and Lois raise Jason together, Jason is happy and well-adjusted, and Richard is basically kicked out of the picture. So I loved how you explored a darker outcome in this story, and yet the story itself doesn't feel 'dark', if that makes sense. :-) I'm definitely putting this in my favorites.
NiteAngel chapter 12 . 11/8/2007
hmm...i still don't think i understand those words properly

ok. i'll tell you what i found. i found that even though i hadn't read this story b4 reading Being Jason White, i understood it. and when i was reading this...it enhanced what i already knew and when i read your OTHER story about how clark tells lois who he is...the same thing.

so overall it was really good. you wrote it so well that i didn't feel like i was missing out on anything...until i read the other story and i was like...oh. good to know this bit too!

you know?

so yup.

ok. now i have to go cook.

NiteAngel

Judah chapter 12 . 9/10/2007
Heavy emotionally. Good fic.
Sreya chapter 12 . 9/9/2007
Hi, Alphie! Imagine my surprise to find that one of my favorite HP fic authors had written Superman Returns fic - thank goodness, too!

You hit on a lot of things in this fic that I'd carried away from the movie - in particular, the whole issue of Lois not knowing that Superman is Clark Kent. Painful as it was, I was thrilled to find that Lois still didn't know even once Jason was an adult.

The twists you used to write this relationship between Jason and Clark were wonderful. So much tension and so many mistakes, and yet Clark was entirely in character, for ANY version of Superman. His insecurities are always his greatest weakness, his penchant for putting others' lives and happiness above his own. Here, it translated so completely wrong to his son, and yet he never even knew because it was that very miscommunication that prevented him from knowing Jason well enough. (Does that make sense? If not, excuse it as midnight ramblings)

I rarely find a story that I really feel has been crafted so well, and I really do want to say thank you for it, because it's the perfect companion piece to the movie.
winthjo chapter 12 . 7/9/2007
Great series about Jason. I'm hoping you will go into greater detail of when Clark told Lois about his secret. Sounds like it really hit the fan with that one. Lots of fireworks. I've been a big Superman fan since the original TV show in the late 50's. I have a picture of myself taken in 1954 wearing a towel as a superman cape.
ellennar chapter 12 . 6/13/2007
Bravo & hat's off this was beautifully done!
vouge09 chapter 12 . 5/20/2007
what I beautiful piece. I am glad I read being jason before this.
Jump Highly chapter 1 . 5/12/2007
You've done a fabulous job with this story. I appreciate that you took your story in the direction Superman Returns left us - with Lois staying with Richard. You did a fabulous job projecting Jason's life forward (likewise in your 'Being Jason...' work). The pain you've written feels very authentic, very deep.

The writing is compelling, the plot moves at an appropriate pace, and your conclusions perfectly in keeping with the story - they've moved just far enough.

I look forward to continuing to read in this 'verse in your second piece. Well done!
Tee2007 chapter 12 . 4/19/2007
WOW! WOW! WOW! I absolutely loved it! Granted, it was full of angsty and i wish you didn't do that to me, but it was fantastic.

Last night while nursing the baby i read half the story, i wanted to leave a review for each chapter, but one handed is not so easy, so i'm leaving this one! If you still want me to jam your inbox with review notices i would be more than happy to, because i simply can't say enough about your story! Alphie, it truly is fantastic - you're writing is superb and the voice of the characters are bang on!

I can't praise you enough, and i'm just in Superman heaven right now...*sigh* I might compose myself and leave you another review for this story...you absolutely rock! I LOVE YOU!
Trekkie6 chapter 12 . 4/18/2007
Never mind the fact that I just spent about 5 hours reading this. Never mind the fact that it's almost 5am. Never mind the fact that I put of my homework to read this. It was totally worth it. I laughed. I cried. A lot. I'm an acting student and I found that I could not stop mouthing the dialogue. I had put myself in the characters' shoes and I just couldn't help but cry.

I think we all can agree that this would never happen, but oh the possibility! Just because it's improbable doesn't mean it's impossible.

Excellent work. You totally made screwing up my sleep schedule worth it. Despite the heavy subject, I know I'll be reading this again. Just excellent, excellent, excellent.

Wow.