Reviews for When All Your Dreams Come True
Sam chapter 1 . 8/3
this was so dark and fascinating to read
Amlia B chapter 1 . 3/22
This was amazing! I had never read a fic about the what if Zuko had actually captured the Avatar, and this was perfect, heartbreaking and soul crushing, but perfect. And the infatuation Zuko appears to have for Katara was also a bonus, I love Zutara.
Thank you for writting such a good fic.
You know, there hasn't been a time where I've read this and I haven't cried. Its amazingly heartbreaking.
This is SO depressing and I want to die.

I love it so much. Probably one of my favorite fics so far. 10/10 A.
Transformers 0 chapter 1 . 1/31
How I cried at this story. It was dark and tragic, and mature and melancholic because of the focus on consequences - and how often Zuko would never think about them.

This definitely deserves to be mentioned on TVTropes and it definitely deserves to go in my favorites.

This last part is for my fellow readers only.

Toph wouldn't have lasted as long as Katara, guys. Come on, admit it.
As one of the guests who reviewed this said, a lot of Toph's bending prowess comes from self-gratification and self-confidence (bordering on narcissism and arrogance at times).

On the other hand, Katara's bending prowess comes from the desire to protect others and fight for what is right. In this story, she has lost all of her family, all of her tribe, and the boy she found in the iceberg - whom she loved with all her heart.
So in the long run, she'd be more driven to fight and survive than Toph ever would.

Oh, and Toph's overrated as a character.
Brashness and satire (her most obvious traits) are overrated and are values that SHOULD NOT be praised or worshipped.
Toph can also be lazy and unhelpful at times.
And just because you're tough doesn't mean that you deserve to be admired.

Katara deserves admiration because she is a beacon of hope who will never give up in fighting for what's right.
And she's compassionate and loving by default.
Only if you're lazy and unhelpful (Toph), or if you betray her trust (Zuko), then does she lose her temper. But the targets of her wrath more often than not deserve it.

So to conclude, Katara is FAR BETTER than Toph. As a character, and as a fighter.
Atiaran did well to make that clear.

And this story is awesome.
EmeraldTyphoon47 chapter 1 . 10/21/2017
Well done. Very well done. I originally saw this fic being recommended on TvTropes under the "Nightmare Fuel" category and it definitely earned its reputation.
TheDancingBerry chapter 1 . 7/31/2017
This is incredible-dark, emotional, and oh-so-tragic. I couldn't stop reading it.
achillius chapter 1 . 3/28/2017
Ugh this was fantastic.
Emu chapter 1 . 10/30/2016
Quite late to the boat here, seeing as I just stumbled upon this via someone else's favorites list, but WOW! That was... really rather dark! But unfortunately, rather realistic for the actual world. I doubt many fans (like Zuko) ever really pondered what would have happened had he succeeded. You paint a horribly bleak but fitting outcome that leaves the reader both dumbstruck and shivering.

The point about this piece that I personally find strongest is Zuko's blind adherence to fantasizing away his own accountability. It's disheartening in that you wish more than anything he'd just finally wake up and choose to make better choices, choose to be better; but, tragically, it's far more in line with typical human behavior for him to stay immature and self-pitying . After all, Iroh tried several times to forestall him, but he just refused to stop and think. And the fact that he didn't take action during the actual sentencing exposes the weakness of his character and his susceptibility for trying to ignore guilt at all costs. You've portrayed this depth of character masterfully! It actually skeezes me out how he later fantasizes about Katara, but that too fits very well with his emotionally stunted state. That's why this piece is so hard-hitting: A lot of people have and do act like this. I'm sure as heck going to remember this fanfic the next time I catch myself pity fantasizing! Hopefully, it'll snap me right out of that nonsense!

The only point of this piece that felt a bit weak and off was the execution of Sokka. The actual execution itself and how he purports himself is in character and impactful. However, it's hard to believe that someone as passionate as Katara, who loves her brother, would stay silent and take no action as he is hanged. Her panic and fight for herself fits, but a big part of her characterization has always been getting up in arms over others, so it's odd that she virtually doesn't exist for that portion. Further, given that Zuko becomes obsessed with her in this work, I'd have imagined he'd be hyperaware of her throughout and at least steal a peek or two in her direction to see how what was happening to Sokka affected her.

I think it's also a shame that Iroh essentially just vanishes from the story. His incorporation into Zuko's fantasies at the end is a strong detail, but after the feast, he's just gone. I think that's a missed opportunity to either isolate Zuko more, or give more of a hint of the judgment of his character. While Zuko's off working under Zhao, where is Iroh? His actions could be used as a good contrast to Zuko's own (if he decides to go off and start an opposition), or, at the least, show that Zuko really can't pull himself out of his spiral anymore (if even Iroh no longer reaches for, or, even better, he does, but Zuko intentionally distances himself to further ignore his guilt).

Anyway, story was written long ago, so the finer points of critique are somewhat moot. But I always believe in constructive criticism for works I care enough to sign in and comment on. :) Great job! This story hands and away warrants all the Favs it has, and I'm happy to add it to my own list. Thanks for writing it.
The Anguished One chapter 1 . 7/2/2016
Wow, this is depressing and I mean that in a good way. Poor Zuko, this probably isn't too far off what would happen if he'd managed to capture Aang and his friends.
Asj Johnson chapter 1 . 5/20/2016
...if only it were happier. But, perhaps it wouldn't be as pretty and wonderful without the dark longing and missed possibilities. It was really nice. er... sad. But good writing.
Sounds like Zuko's never going to do anything, and just fade into nothingness. Too bad, since I kept wishing he would one day just get up and show everyone. His dream about challenging his father to a second Agni Kai was in a way similar to a thought I'd had before getting to that part of the fic. That, when the war council starts planning about taking over the other nations, he'd slam his hands down on the table and challenge his father for the throne. His father would agree, with the condition of there being no holding back on punishments this time, a spark in Ozai's eye showing that it's just the opportunity he'd been waiting for, but then Zuko, after a speech about how today if he loses he will die content that he died doing what he felt was right and was no longer living to please the Fire Lord, would surprise him with his strength in firebending and defeat him. Then, when they're getting ready to crown him the next Fire Lord, he hands the throne over to Iroh, and disappears into the night. ...I suppose Zuko and I both tend to want to dream away bad realities.
A person chapter 1 . 4/25/2016
Eh, I didn't need to sleep tonight.
R-dude chapter 1 . 3/3/2016
Damn, this was actually pretty good. A bit heavy on the Zutara side, oftentimes to exaggerated degree, but overall well-written and chilling.
morriganfreeman chapter 1 . 2/17/2016
This story was incredibly powerful and unfortunately very true to what might've happened had Zuko actually captured Aang. It was really difficult to read, in the best way possible.
kronoan chapter 1 . 1/17/2016
Very good story. It seems very plausible.