Reviews for Never
Heather Logan chapter 1 . 3/29/2009
This was perfectly well-crafted, not a word out of place. I appreciated her attempt at convincing him, and the inexorable dream-logic, and the way she controls herself upon waking, and finally the seeking of reassurance. The visuals are excellent too, rich and vivid.

At first I thought, it's so short, but I think any longer would have dissipated it a little. Fabulous!
HeadingNorth chapter 1 . 1/23/2008
Awh! That was so suspenseful! I was almost jumping out of my chair, screaming at Kenshin not to do it! 5,0,0 thumbs up!

omasuoniwabanshi chapter 1 . 2/1/2007
Very sweet ending.

My favorite part was where Kenshin took her hand. That phrase "his larger, callused, so-warm one" was wonderfully descriptive and just what Kaoru needed after that nightmare.
Warg chapter 1 . 1/26/2007
ooh.. creepy!

Ahem.. sorry, couldn't resist. Nice set of powerful images.. and brilliant use of contrast. I was afraid that this would be a Kenshin has left for the war kinda thing and then it would either get weepy or overly thick. But it didn't, a soft, well executed ending in its place too.

Great work.

BAFling chapter 1 . 11/13/2006
I've also noticed that you've written some good new fics. I liked this. I don't think it's possible to deslike anything you do (not meant as flattery).

Gosh, I even thought the site had gone loco, because none of the fics I could see were yours. But then I scrolled down.

anyway, this is a strong story. An excellent one-shot. Do more! (eh. you have! in this case, I'll get to reading them!)
Scarred Sword Heart chapter 1 . 8/24/2006
That was so cute! I always love fics where Kaoru walks in on Kenshin while he's sleeping.
nebulia chapter 1 . 7/20/2006
How lovely!

Powerful; the imagery was excellent...you could picture it, but almost through a fog. It had a wonderful dreamlike quality to it, even after Kaoru woke up, but it was less of a "This is a dream," and more of, "This is really happening, and yet it feels like a dream," if that makes sense.

The entire prose was beautiful, and the lengthwas perfect. I'm adding it to my favorites.

Wonderful!
skenshingumi chapter 1 . 7/17/2006
Very powerful imagery. I like the tension of these lines:

"...he looked at her through flat, deadened eyes...

...her fingers sweating on the hilt of the sakabatou...

...strike with the sharp inside edge...

...wet the sakabatou with its first life’s blood

followed by the soothingness of "the smell of wood and jasmine and the soap Kenshin had used washing her blankets the day before."

The image of Kenshin half-asleep curling his hand around Kaoru and reassuring her seems so tender and sweet after that truly nightmarish opening. Very nice.
kokoronagomu chapter 1 . 7/16/2006
i'm still in shock... i need a hug.

strong imagry, powerful story.
Kissing Irony chapter 1 . 7/14/2006
Oh, those wonderful words of reassurance. How cute. :D
Sir Gawain of Camelot chapter 1 . 7/14/2006
Phew. You could tell how shook up I was about the suicide bit when I came in to filch french fries.

The 'never's were simply adorable, and meaningful all in one.

And you have most eloquent turn of phrase, as always, One-san.
Anonymous but very interested chapter 1 . 7/14/2006
I enjoyed this. It was so very cute and sweet...I had thought the front part was really happening for a moment. I'm glad that it wasn't.

Thanks for sharing this!

Good luck.

_
poisonpeachpop chapter 1 . 7/14/2006
Before I figured out it was a dream, I was a wide-eyed idiot with her mouth hanging open, ready for flies and all. Then, after Kaoru awoke, I sighed in relief. Man..that was killer, in the good way, of course. You made it a horror and romance(ish) all in one. Awesome! I do wonder what made Kenshin so miserable, though...
MikaylaMae chapter 1 . 7/14/2006
What a nightmare! This was nicely written. I can see this fitting in nicely to how Kaoru might feel.
sueb262 chapter 1 . 7/14/2006
You filled the dream with such meaning-what a wrench to read about the sakabatou's "first life's blood", the irony and fittingness of it-that when she awoke, it hardly mattered that it had been a dream: the threat of it is so foundational that it really does carry over into the waking world as forcefully as you wrote it.

It was visually vivid as well: his kneeling and unsheathing the wakazashi, "her fingers sweating on the hilt", the sword turned to its "sharp inside edge".

Somehow, the phrase "to strike true and clean" just rang with Old Tales of Glory: her choice is an ancient one of true friendship, true love between comrades. The sacrifice she makes to "serve" her friend is both completely unselfish and completely impossible.

And the small moment of traded "never"s was perfect, its only elaboration the declaration of its importance and the tightening of his fingers.

Wonderful!