Reviews for Until the End of the World
Reader101w chapter 13 . 12/2/2010
Great story so far,

Very confusing at some points… who am I kidding, I can barely keep up with all the weirdness going on.

Slowly, things seem to be explained more, but there seem to be many plotlines running.

I'm very curious on how this will develop.

I hope to read more on this soon.

keep up the good writing,

neithan chapter 2 . 11/9/2008
Reading this inspired me to go out and read the actual novel...I have no idea how you are going to combine the two, but it's very ambitious! Just leave out some of the worst of the things that happened to Col. Pudding please...

Quick question though...the last chapter...when Blicero fires the rocket...when is that? Wasn't that a flashback? So the rocket fired and nothing came out of it? I think I may have to go back and reread, but I'd love to talk about the novel if you were ever of a mind.

Anyway, I love the work. I don't want to gush, but reading your stories, (as well as .P,), bring sunshine to my life, and are a true enjoyment.
neithan chapter 1 . 9/10/2008
Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy all of your writing...also, this story inspired me to pick up and read Gravity's Rainbow...not quite done yet, but it's an interesting book! I really hope you haven't given up on this story, because I really enjoy it.
Zaratan chapter 13 . 10/22/2007
Okay... dream sequence... that was just freaky.

Barkin knowing about Slothrop, and Kramer's disappearance... also freaky.

Eagerly awaiting more!
MrDrP chapter 13 . 10/12/2007
First off, how could one not like a chapter entitled "Pigs Parabola?" Porcine alliteration rocks!

The extended first section did an excellent job of drawing the reader back into the truly surreal, Pynchonesque universe our KP friends are inhabiting. That Shego was our tour guide made it all the more enjoyable. Maybe your next crossover could be Dante. Imagine Shego as Beatrice. Okay, I'm rambling. But that seems apropos given this particular literary world.

The return to Middleton was all the more shocking, and welcome, after the Shego scene. I longed for something normal. And I got it. For just a few seconds, at least. Then the weirdness began to reassert itself, both comically (Barkin) and seriously (Dr. Kramer).

I like the way you ended the chapter on a nice, tender note, despite the mayhem that had erupted at the Space Center. That was a sure to sign to attentive readers of your work that the monkey fur is going to fly in the next chapter.

Finally, I like the way you included references to S4 in this chapter. My favorite was Yono saying "Word" to Shego. It felt quite appropriate - and made me laugh.
Randy C chapter 13 . 10/9/2007
"This is beginning to sound like a sea story," opined an American stoker named O.I.C. Bodine, who lounged against a bulkhead drinking some horrible fermented potato mash as prelude to going off watch and into sleep.

-Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day

Another quarter year, another chapter of "Until the End of the World," the Greta Garbo of Kim Possible fanfiction. It's almost as if the author, in his admiration for Pynchon, is emulating the enigmatic author right down to his long, lonely stretches of silence between works. That being said, we could not have asked for a better installment than what we get here.

We've only seen Shego in fleeting cameos until now even though her menace is felt throughout. With each appearance she has left more and more questions. For whom is she working? Why was she seeking the Anubis? Why was she waiting in ambush in Dr. Kramer's house? To see her so immediately is almost baffling, bringing the reader to full attention in anticipation of the myriad of answers that are sure to follow. Instead, our author has wisely chose to preserve the mystery by casting our ivy-hued villainess in a David Lynch-inspired sequence that is enjoyably confounding. William Gass, in his defense of William Gaddis' "The Recognitions" (thanks for the reccommendation, by the way), wrote that some books are not to be read as if one were seeking a destination. That is especially true of this extended episode with Shego. You should be commended for taking it as far and as long as you did. At the very least, it's the most impressive work you've posted here (which is not to say the best, which still belongs to Bonnie's breakdown in the last chapter and Taharah from "The End" and all of "Shiloh"). Quite often did I have to interrupt my reading to make sure that my eyes were not playing a trick on my brain, a reaction that was a common occurance with my own reading of Pynchon, such as during Slothrop's toilet escape in "Gravity's Rainbow" or the George and Martha Washington smoke out in "Mason & Dixon." It's not the first time this has happened while engrossed in "Until the End of the World" (that would be when I first read the summary), and I hope it won't be the last. And nice integration of the Season 4 characters.

We're in more familiar territory with the rest of the chapter, or as familiar as this fic will allow us. I cannot tell you how broad my smile became when I discovered that Barkin served under Bodine. No wonder he's so bitter. But it's good to see Bodine move up in the world. He obviously took after the Bodine who appears in "Against the Day" (presumably his grandfather), who made it all the way to officer. What a bombshell to include after such a long wait.

Five months is a long wait, but if this is the quality I'm greeted with, I could just as easily wait twice as long.
CajunBear73 chapter 13 . 10/9/2007
St-range chapter here guys! As for Shego's travels through that adventure, all I got to say is: The '60's was good to somebody...

The more information is gathered about Tyrone, the larger the mystery of him it gets to be.

More mystery about Kramer's disappearance and the shock of the Space Center destruction.
AtomicFire chapter 13 . 10/9/2007
Pigs everywhere! All we need is Officer Hobble and we're set... ok thats a bad joke I admit it.

Interesting what went on, Shego freaking and the Center being leveled. Still trying to keep up.
SolarinStudio chapter 12 . 7/20/2007
This is equal parts awesome and odd.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't confused.

This is not due to your abilities as a writer, but rather my inability to read.

There are a lot of things that seem to be odd. Bonnie's mom is a ninja? Kim and Ron have freaky music powers? I feel like I am reading a description of someone's acid trip. To say that this story is surreal would be doing it a disservice, but its the closest thing I can think of to describe it is 'slightly left of center'

This story is nothing if not netertaining, and I hope it doesn't get abandoned.
RobinofYJ chapter 12 . 6/11/2007
wow...just, wow! This is by far, the freakiest fic i've ever read. Definately looking foward to more.
MrDrP chapter 12 . 5/25/2007
Great chapter!

This is a wonderful continuation of a sprawling epic. You continue to build an engaging, intriguing fusion universe for our heroes.

I enjoyed how the story was capably advanced on multiple fronts, mysteries were shared (Kramer), surprising back stories were revealed (Bonnie's mom), and humor was interjected at all the right moments (Yori and Mrs. Dr. P).

Looking forward to more!

p.s. great job on the deft inclusion of S4 references.
Randy C chapter 12 . 5/24/2007
One day the noted Uyghur troublemaker Al Mar-Fuad showed up in English hunting tweeds and a deerstalker cap turned sidewise, with a sort of ultimatum in which one might just detect that difficulty with the prevocalic r typical of the British upper class. “Gweetings, gentlemen, on this Glowious Twelfth!”

-Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day

It’s been so long since “Foo Fighting” hit the scene that the first paragraph of this long-awaited chapter reads almost like a Batman-influenced recap. “Last time on Until the End of the World.”

The last few chapters were very action centered, which I’m sure was a concern for you given that your work prior to this one focused almost exclusively on exploring the Kim and Ron relationship, where action can still be applied, but probably bears little resemblance to what I’m writing about. And though I should have mentioned this in my last review, I must say that you handle action very well. Not only the traditional action, such as Yori’s escape, but also more inventive set pieces, like Ron and Kim’s confrontation with the Black Fleet. I don’t care how Spider-man3 turned out, song and dance numbers can work in an action sequence.

As I was saying, with the last few chapters being so heavy on action, it’s good to see the story return with an installment where the characters are really allowed to bounce off of each other. Even a quick pee joke is a wonderful character moment that reveals a lot: Drakken’s dissatisfaction with his current project even though it might be the most successful scheme he has been involved with thus far, as well as his lifelong struggle with teenagers. I believe this episode also exposed Potty Mouth as a teenager, though I could be wrong (it really has been a long time since you’ve updated). Combined with his language and obsession with television, he’d make for a terrific modern day denizen of Vineland.

You do some terrific work with Bonnie, and the scene in the car with DL may very well be the best thing you have written, exhibiting brilliant timing and flawless characterization. Bonnie is one of the best characters for fanfic writers, the creators providing just enough back-story to allow several creative people to come up with a number of conceivable destinies for the condescending cheerleader. She’s been a villain, a love interest, a full blown member of Team Possible, and more! She’s got more aliases than Frank Abignale, Jr. I’m a fan of your softening of the character, keeping her acerbic but not cruel. The only other work of yours that we have seen this Bonnie in was “Freckle,” where she discovered that there may be more to Ron than foam based mascotery. I have yet to read a satisfactory Ron-Bon fic, but that scene is the closest thing to a convincing germ of such a story. Now she’s back and through the wringer. You deftly move her through comedy and pathos, as well as both simultaneously, the only rational way to handle a teenager discovering that her mother administered something called The Vibrating Palm to a romanticized father figure. The growth you started with “Freckle” continues here, particularly when Bonnie refers to Kim and Ron as her friends and begging the latter to please create a contrivance for the three of them to hang out. Overall, the scene covered a lot of ground and did it with a lot of characters present, a challenging task. My only fear is that those unfamiliar with Vineland will have a hard time accepting Mrs. Rockwaller as an expert ninja. Then again, you don’t write a Thomas Pynchon/Kim Possible crossover ‘cause you think the world will embrace it.

This scene is also important as it represents the most substantial exchange between Kim and a Pynchon character. Sure, she briefly talked to Pointsman, but that was nothing compared to this. This is the two worlds acknowledging each other. This is Leopold Stokowski shaking hands with Mickey Mouse. One can’t even imagine what will happen when they finally come across Foomi, Bodine, and who knows who else.

You’ve made references to your other works throughout Until the End of the World. This works for a number of reasons. If one has read your other pieces, it makes for a deeper appreciation of your interpretation of the Kim and Ron relationship, but it also works on a textural level. This story is clearly different than all your others (in fact, it’s different than anyone’s), but it is a direct continuation of “Skinned Knee,” “Lost Afikomen,” and “Freckle,” that work even featuring a Pynchon character. Referencing these works really highlights the freakiness of what is happening to our favorite teenage crime fighters. However, I’d be willing to argue that not being familiar with these stories makes for just as effective a reading experience, perhaps even more so. I had not read anything of yours when I came across UtEofW, and when I saw allusions to that time last spring in the park, or what happened during Sedar dinner, or late night dress-up exorcisms I just assumed that these were episodes that would never be explained or resolved, kind of like in a Thomas Pynchon novel. And your reference in this chapter to The End, an alternate universe, harkens to the concept of bilocation from Against the Day. Perhaps there was some Iceland Spar in the Jenolan Caves.

Finally, though the title is “Father’s Day,” and though MrDrP has a major scene at the end, the mothers really take charge. There is the aforementioned DL and MrsDrP’s punk regression. The whole world is going mad. It’s a time of reckless celebration! Until the End of the World has returned!
AtomicFire chapter 12 . 5/22/2007
"Search and Destroy" That works given the storyline, that works quite well. Had to say I really enjoyed Bonnie having a near mental breakdown there in her mothers Trans Am... just fit in so well.

Ninjas and 'Artists' and Slothrops... oh my!

Kinda cool her car is nicknamed 'The Sloth' in the show too.
AtomicFire chapter 11 . 4/8/2007
"Just a sec!" Ron barked to the door, "We gotta answer the phone!"

And Slothrop... given the original name of Kim's new ride I have to wonder if someone at Disney wasn't thinking along this line as well.

Another great chapter.
Ultimate Naco Topping chapter 5 . 3/4/2007
Wo! Good mix of suspense, humor, action, and drama. It's hard to tell where Gravity's Rainbow ends and Kim Possible begins. Ron's discovery of the harmonica had me rolling. I'll be reading the next chunk of chapters next weekend. Until then...!