Reviews for Strange Angels
Fireman Phil chapter 11 . 12/10/2006
As I read the first part of this chapter, I kept thinking Sam and Dean should be more focused on the job ahead, reviewing what they had learned, thinking of possible game plans. They weren't. So, who had to remind them? Charlotte. Perhaps only she really knows how bad things may get. Then to see her incapacitated so quickly by the evil in the orphanage...well, that is unnerving to say the least.

It is upsetting to witness the continual bickering among the three (Sam, Dean and Charlotte). I just feel they will need each other to defeat the demons and are missing out on so much by not forming a true team. The conversation at the restaurant just got ugly. I can't think of another way to put it.

Seeing them entering the cave and encountering nurse Agnes confirms my fears. She seems quite able to pick them off one at a time, and now, Sam is alone with her and

Shemhezai. Oh god.

I had difficult time getting through this chapter and I'm not sure why. Maybe it was distractions around the house or the depressing feeling of opportunity being lost by the

characters. I'm ready to move on. The sooner, the better.
carocali chapter 7 . 12/8/2006
Another interesting chapter. I like the reveal of Charlie and the Big Bad having been hosted by her mom. Nice continued ties to the mythology already established in the show.

For some reason, I keep coming back to the cop scene. I do not know Firefly well, but the way that Sam just burst out and made the reference cracked me up. Charlie took such care when going for the cop to avoid Dean. Would there be some kind of implosion between them?

And the white altar... Hm. So much to mill over and piece together.

Ali chapter 11 . 12/8/2006
Awesome writing as always, though the motivation behind Sam starting to act like a jerk and be alone...I don't get that in the context of this story, especially when right before that he heard the prophet candy store owned say they needed to work together. Made me want to slap some sense into all 3 of them, but mostly Sam.
Angela62 chapter 11 . 12/6/2006
Ah! Another great chapter as always! Keep 'em comin'!
carocali chapter 5 . 11/30/2006
I LOVE how you used Some Kind of Monster to describe what is going on, and emphasizing the thought process.

I gotta say, this is creeping me out! Watching Sam glow from blue to orange (although I AM pleased with the color scheme as a Chicago Bears fan) as he fought off the invaders was pretty overwhelming. The power within him is so incredible. Will he be able to keep it at bay? At what happens if the good color (blue, right?) comes through? Will that mean the end of Sammy? And the accursed and the mighty? Eek! They have some shoes to fill!

This is so detailed and intricate. i can't wait to have more time to read along. At least I have 5 chapters waiting for me!

The Cat's Whiskers chapter 10 . 11/27/2006
I still like this story, though I am not entirely sure I understand all of it I am of course waiting for the happy ending when Sam, Dean and Charlie kick Shemhez-dude's ass along with the other evilies and Charlie gets to sing (oh and by the way, give Alex Masters a serious pasting too). Your sleep deprivation bit is spot on - prolongued lack of sleep does lead to depression, hallucinations and psychosis. I suffered from a muscle disease, fibromyalgia and one of the issues with that is insomnia and fibromyalgics can't achieve proper REM sleep - we tend not to dream and when we do, we tend to have nightmares. Not fun. You've also clearly done a lot of research and developed a story with a strong underpinning mythology.
rozzy07 chapter 10 . 11/27/2006
Well girl, its hard to read a chapter like this without a major pang of jealousy running through my gut! Too much talent pours off the page with each new chapter you post! Truly you must have been whacked over the back of the head with the 'wooden spoon of imagination' to yet again offer up such a brilliant read. That very libidious but emphatic Dean may be an angel (or sorts!) but he leaves our Charlie vulnerable and in his own way just as exposed! But your Arlene is surely a flirtatious little minx isn't she? And her brother the densest mid-american boy ever! The whole Simon Lebon monicker for Sam and Charlotte's own choice (god I almost wet my knickers laughing here..!) were just brilliant. Of course Dean had to be Nick Rhodes (shorter member of the band!). Me thinks you have led a very bad youth which has helped morphed your writing skills to what they are now...

So Dean and Charlie are sparking wounds off each other here, a repression of emotions that at some point they will have to release or Shemhezai may well find his way to slip past their chinks in their too fragile armour and get an escape. And yet there still is our Sam, still holding back the evil within, remaining as much a smart alecky younger brother and pure soul as he has ever been. Too much, way too much to ponder on without going into reams of rambling thoughts, but I am so glad to be reading this great novella in the making, so please post more soon. Roz
Fireman Phil chapter 10 . 11/27/2006
I knew it. I just knew it. Dean can behave like such an ass sometimes. It's one of his least endearing qualities and you captured it just right. (My affinity for the character as well as personal history as a part-time ass, sadly, back me up.) Let's hope he will someday learn a thing or two from younger brother, Sam, before it is too late.

I have the feeling this chapter has been liberally sprinkled with clues, and can hardly wait to see where they all may lead. Bringing the two priests into the story is good and the home for children is an unexpected twist. Gosh, I wish I could peek into your head and see where you are taking us. Better not though, I might get dizzy.

I simply can't keep my eyes off of Charlotte, but I'm definitely not thinking like that creep, Tony. She deserves a chance to find herself. She has so much to offer and yet she's been dealt a pretty poor hand in a lot of respects. I hope she will have the opportunity to really shine before ths story ends. Disgarding the crutches and standing again on her own is a good, logical first step. (No puns intended.)

Since musical inspiration seems to play an important role in your writing process, let me share a bit of mine. When I think about Dean and Charlotte, the music of Gerry Rafferty "Baker Street" and "Right Down the Line" comes to mind. I know that in the universe of Supernatural, having Dean find somebody to love is an impossibility, but Charlotte seems so right. I hope you'll provide a good, compassionate reason for why it just can't be.

Getting me to care like this about original characters is no small undertaking and a real credit to your writing and story telling talent.

Now I did spot one tiny error. At the diner, you have Sam wanting to hit Dean with a "clue by four." Did you mean two by four?
Fireman Phil chapter 9 . 11/27/2006
The calm before the storm, eh? This has been another marvelous chapter. There's no doubt about it, I'm falling in love with Charlotte. If you let anything serious happen to her now, I am going to be very upset. (I just know I'm being set up for a fall.)

Watching these young characters interact is such a treat. The attraction between Dean and Charlotte, knowing of her urge to flee, his determination to hunt and protect, Sam's sensitive observations, and the attempts to relieve some of the tension with their pranks, all of it is working so well here.

If it weren't for your occasional reminders, including Aaron's appearances, it would be easy to forget the fate of the world hangs in the balance.

Your sense of pace is wonderful. After the encounter with demons at the church, you've given us time to collect our thoughts and prepare (I hope) for what lies ahead.
Fireman Phil chapter 8 . 11/12/2006
Wow...another splendid chapter! A *labor of love* you say? It must truly be becuase the result is so fantastic. I loved the repartee at the spaghetti place, Sam's lame practical joke and Charlie accidentally spilling olive oil on his pants. Served him right.

Gosh, how I wish I were part of their team. It really seems like a team now, not just the brothers plus Charlotte. ou make it all seem so exciting - so inviting. Saving the world would be nice, too. Warriors of God!

Loved the selection by Blue Oyster Cult, and Godzilla. You show marvelous taste in matters of music, film, and pop literature! GRIN

To close, against the backdrop of the ever looming confrontation that lies ahead, you bring us safely back together and provide another glimpse of the *team in the making* with Charlie's revenge for Sam. Great stuff, indeed.

We're ready to face anything now. Did I just say we?
Fireman Phil chapter 7 . 11/11/2006
This chapter is another absolute delight. Eveyone can identify with a hearty breakfast - Winchester style. You put us right there in the diner with them. The converstaion is so natural and so much what we have come to expect from Sam and Dean. Charlotte is so much less threatening. Wanting to know her means much more than what took place just in the back seat of the car.

Charlotte could easily become a member of the Winchester team if it weren't for Deans's suspicions about her use of her particular gift/curse. Damn. Although we are still in the midst of the larger story of the impending doom, it is so heart-breaking to see that barrier stand beteen Dean and Charlotte.

These feelings don't just happen. Your writing is responsible for creating them. Keep at it. This is so enjoyable.
Fireman Phil chapter 6 . 11/11/2006
Hm...for some reason, not entirely understood by me, I had problems with this chapter. I wish I could point to something specific as an example, but I can't. Things just didn't flow as easily as they have in earlier chapters. I don't think is was the Enochian lore as much as the way it was presented. I'm still intersted in what these demons mean to do and what must be done to stop them
Fireman Phil chapter 5 . 11/11/2006
As a relative newcomer to the world of the Winchesters, I have been according each brother equal attention and respect - until recently. Beginning with *carikube's* story Entity, I have found myself slowly but surely favoring Dean. That's continued with your story and thus chapter simple reinforces my judgment.

Myabe it's his choice of music or the Impala, but mostly its undersatnd how he approaches situations and life itself. We get to see a good sample of that in this chapter. Great writing.
Fireman Phil chapter 4 . 11/11/2006
Burning Inside...what a terrific title for this chapter! On so many levels: the carnal desires felt by Dean and Charlotte, the mystical, demonic legacy she carries, the voice urging her to HELP HIM repeatedly, the beast inside Sam. How many things burn inside each of us? You find a way of touching so many of them with your descriptions of what is going on in each character.

Whether we are enjoying the moment or feeling revulsion, you never let us forget these are real people and in the end teh fate of the world is at stake.
Fireman Phil chapter 3 . 11/11/2006
This chapter rates two A's: Action ad Adult Themes. You handle both very well. You really pulled me into the story. Beginning in the previous chapter and continuing here, I really want to get to know Charlotte Webb and I want to be Dean as I do it. That's some writing on your part.

Having guided us through the melee inside the bar, you now move the action to the parking lot. Isn't that always the case with bar fights? Alex is more of an opponent than he first appeared to be and having Charlotte escape with Sam and Dean is exciting.

Did I mention you make me want to know Charlotte just as Dean does? Yeah I think I did. GRIN

The point is, you handle this adult situation very well: often graphic and suggestive but never tawdry. You are showing us real people here. That's the key to great storytelling.
63 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »