Reviews for Fear Itself
fairyntoad14 chapter 1 . 8/4/2006
John can be a true bastard sometimes! Wonderfuly written story!
Middleageslover chapter 1 . 8/3/2006
That was really good. Poor Sammy! I have never even come close to drowning, and dont plan to, so I cant imagine what Sam was going through, but this story was excellent!
Windyfontaine chapter 1 . 7/29/2006
And the next to last line brought the scene in the finale? to mind when Sam chooses Dean and stands by his brother. Sorry it took me so long to review this, been going down a list of fic updates to read, and realized I hadn't read this yet. Yep, it's great as usual, and lack of a beta definitely didn't crimp your style :) I could actually see the water around Sam as he went down. Definitely not liking John in this, but I actually got that maybe he's used to Dean learning his way and can't understand that Sam is different. Anyways, will be looking forward to more of your work, soon maybe? Have a great day :)
bubblesquirt chapter 1 . 7/18/2006
Aw, John is so mean in this one! But I can totally see him doing that. He makes me so angry sometimes! Great oneshot.
amy jonas chapter 1 . 7/17/2006
Oh em! This peice was brilliant. I'm terrified of drowing and can't swim and I think you really captured that in Sam. I could feel the whole harrowing experience of Sam trying to get to the surface and stay there.

I could honestly see John doing that as a teaching method. Like someone else said, not intenti0onally being cruel but I think it's part of that 'whole marine thing' and without Mary there to temper that side of him...

I ;loved Dean being there for Sam adn Sam's trust in his brother.

Amy
teal-lover chapter 1 . 7/17/2006
i really liked the trusting relationship that sam has with dean. and john is a jerk, but i think you have him pegged:)
stealthyone chapter 1 . 7/17/2006
Good ficlet here. Poor Sammy, who was so terrified, and poor Dean, who must’ve hated those few seconds he was obeying his father, and not going to Sammy’s aid.

! I’ve never understood why people think it’s a good idea to throw kids who can’t swim into the water. *smacks John*

Favorite lines:

Sam's eyes widen as he imagines his older brother drowning. The water scares him even more, and he takes a step back.

I really like how conflicted Sam is there.

He breaks through the crystalline surface with a sharp crack and plummets down, down, into the cold depths of the encompassing water. Everything is silent. Silver, gelatinous bubbles rise and swirl all around him and for a moment, Sam can't find up. Water presses against him from all sides. His lungs and eyes burn and before he can stop himself, he breathes in. Sour water floods his mouth and throat and he still can't breathe and now his chest hurts even more. His toes scrape the rough concrete and immediately he pushes against it, surging upwards and towards the sunlight. His arms are heavy and his eyes feel like they're bulging out of his head, even as darkness blossoms over his vision. The only thing he can think about is air and how he doesn't want to die.

Gorgeous, vivid description there. Very nicely written.

Then, strong arms wrap around him and he's being pulled to the side of the pool. "I got you," Dean says in his ear, and Sam swings out a hand, clutching tightly to his brother.

Love that Dean finally disobeyed John and went to Sam’s rescue. Such a good brother. *pets Dean*

"Don't worry, squirt," he mumbles, "We'll have you swimming like a fish before you know it."

Sam nods, believing it.

Love the simple trust he has in his big brother. :)

Thanks for a great read.
Zenamydog chapter 1 . 7/17/2006
I oh so so enjoyed this. Dont usually read "young sam/dean" but this caught my eye, and im glad. Very insightful.
violetsunshine chapter 1 . 7/16/2006
I really like this story...it was very scary for someone like myself who doesn't know how to swim and stays away from the deep end...it would be horrible to just be thrown in! I love how Dean went against his father and got him out.
pandora jazz chapter 1 . 7/16/2006
Nice surprise!

A second story to read tonight.

Took me a moment to decide what to say. (So thought about it while working on a birthday cake and tri-level brownies.)

You succeeded in causing many different emotions. Good job!

John made me angry in this piece by throwing Sam in the water, though I like John too.

But, Dean :) came through as the big brother who knew his little brother was in trouble and will always look out for Sam.

Sam learned and now confirms what he has known, that he can always trust Dean. Dean will be there and will teach him what he needs to know as he grows up.

I liked it.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.
Phx chapter 1 . 7/16/2006
My grandfather taught my mother how to swim the same way - she learned but it is a very cruel method. Particularly since you alluded to Sam almost drowning at some time, in the beginning of the story.

John should have remembered that and realized that Sam would have a lot more fear than the regular non-swimmer.

And I think you wrote this story fine without a beta. Very nice Sam and Dean interaction - I'm ticked at John though, lol!

Sherry
IheartPadalecki chapter 1 . 7/16/2006
Alright so overall really liked it. I could in someway imagine a bad experience with water for Sam. As for John, although I don't actually see him doing that, it's an interesting way to learn I suppose. I mean, I totally can see my sister putting her kids on skis and pushing them down a black the minute she has kids... but I still love her haha.
bally2cute chapter 1 . 7/16/2006
That just makes it even clearer what those two boys mean to each other. They missed so much by having their father so hell bent on hunting, especially without their mother. Those boys are so different, but daddy wants them to be the same, but luckily Sam has his big brother to give him what he needs. Great story.
Anora chapter 1 . 7/16/2006
I swear John is so demented... worst part is I can completely and utterly imagine him doing that to either Sam or Dean. Mostly Sam though X) Great Story. Keep up the good work.
WishfulWriting chapter 1 . 7/16/2006
Love, love, love this story. So well written! You had everything down so well, from the introspection, the characterization, the descriptions. Really drew me in. That was really cruel of John but in actuality it was quite realistic. I think that family has a bit of a tough love mentality, especially when it comes to taking care of yourself. From things Sam has said on the show, about how he felt his dad was harder on him, I could really see this. He's the more sensitive, fragile one that usually needs to be saved, and its understandable that at the same time, his father desperately wanted him to be able to take care of himself. Anyway, great job
69 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 Next »