Reviews for Old Ghosts
malphigus chapter 6 . 11/19/2017
Here I am, eleven years late to the party.

Can I just say that this is one of the best Wincest stories I've ever read? Everything is just written so well. I wasn't expecting the level of tenderness here and that has been a very pleasant surprise. Your writing style makes the intimacy all so genuine. I really like your prose.

But the one thing that really set this apart from the others is how realistically things are handled. I love how you tackled on being attracted to the same gender and how it can seriously affect your life. I feel that this aspect is rarely handled well in slash fanfictions, if ever. As a bisexual guy I really, really appreciate what you've done.

Another thing is you make their romance so tender yet realistic at the same time. I really like how both Sam and Dean have doubts and the threat of their relationship not working out is still very real. I love that aspect of a relationship, especially in fiction! I'm so tired of reading relationships that 'are just meant to be', that the characters don't doubt that it could ever go wrong.

As an extended note to the realism of the story, I love how both Sam and Dean are dimensional, layered characters. They're not Gary Stus (haha), both have their own baggage that makes the relationship so much more difficult and complicated, yet they make it work. God, to be honest I feel like this story is written for me! For me, the penultimate romance is when two completely different people make the relationship work because of mutual respect and because they want it to work.

(Personal rant: You won't believe the amount of romance fics that glorifies abusive and obsessive behaviour! I'm just so done with all of that. Your story, Gillian, is an antithesis of all that crap. The diamond among coals. Hats off!)

And finally, finally, facing incest head on. Man, you are such a brave soul. I love that you really acknowledge this fact about the brothers. Most Wincest fics don't. I just, God, I love how this a very serious aspect of their relationship, I love how it was dealt with. I love how you portray the realistic, appropriate reaction with Sam.

To prevent this from being a longer wall of text, let's just sum it up: I love how you tackle aspects of Wincest head on, when most just willfully ignores them. It makes their relationship feel down-to-earth and real.

I know that this story is a relic of the past in your life, Gillian, and you most likely already moved on a long time ago, but for what it's worth, this story leaves such a personal and meaningful impact on me. It reminds me that realistic romance exists, and it's all the more beautiful because of it. Your story showed me how people can be in a relationship and handle difficulties with maturity. How two people respect one another first and foremost, and have no entitled expectations.

I haven't read anything close to being this good in years.

Thank you so much for writing this excellent story, even if it's dated for 11 years. Thank you.
sierra.steinbrecher chapter 2 . 2/15/2016
Man, I love how all these crazy thoughts were going through Nick's head...and then they just evaporated when he saw Sam. Perfect.
MiNiGiIOI chapter 6 . 7/1/2015
Well my soul is absolutely demolished
Great fic
ArcanePracti-cat chapter 6 . 2/8/2015
...But what happened? I see they've just... continued on? come to terms? It's true they never really grew up together. Soo.
but, what about the demon...!? will the demon come and try to kill them!? ahhh!
Well, I'm gonna read some more of your stuff. Hey, and there's a related story there... :3
ArcanePracti-cat chapter 5 . 2/8/2015
Oh, gosh, I hope Nathan comes around.
Truly, ya, it is hard on the parents if they're set in their ways. But... gay or not, it's just WRONG to go digging into someone's personal background to... like, past-stalk them. And then condemn them without even MEETING them.
this just all needs time... :/
Ahh, shit will really hit the fan if they find out they're related. xD
aiyaa! such a story here! :3
ArcanePracti-cat chapter 4 . 2/8/2015
well, this story is quite nice. I like how you're rather realistic about the characters. dang, I hope for a happy ending... :P
...oohhh, but will they find out they were brothers sometime soon...? that's gonna throw a wrench in there... e.e
ArcanePracti-cat chapter 2 . 2/8/2015
Nick is awesome!
That's how I think parents / parent figures should act if something like that happens... just evaluate the partner as a person, and if they're good, then that's that. :3
Awesome story! Ahhh, I'm anxious for when they find out about each other... O.O
...Wait, does that mean John's dead though? Hey, will they hunt...? Oh, and what about Jess- she just not in the equation? :P
ArcanePracti-cat chapter 1 . 2/8/2015
I wonder if they'd ever get to hunting, or if this's an au?
either way, neat start! I'm interested in how this'll turn out... :3
Ahhhh! xD
SaraB chapter 6 . 1/27/2015
hehe nice story tho I enjoyed it
Nicolene B chapter 6 . 11/19/2014
Really enjoyed this story!
Gina Mark chapter 6 . 9/13/2014
Oi, essa história é linda muito doce mesmo adoro. Que bom que Sam teve sorte e encontrou uma família que o ama agora chorei com todo sofrimento pelo que Dean passou que ótimo que ele encontrou Nick e a esposa proporcionaram um lar pra ele depois de tanta dor, e eles encontraram o amor finais felizes são uma dádiva, parabéns
sybil branson jr chapter 6 . 8/23/2014
SQUEEEE! o. my. g.
i love you for this beautiful work of art. it is one of the best, wait maybe the best. *cross-checking... yes, the best dean/sam ever written. ok i will stop worshipping now. perhaps.
this is great :) 3 (lol i read it all in one sitting. i got to chapter 6 and was like - fuck. its 13000 words... here we go, grab the tissues.)
PshhAnonymous chapter 6 . 6/11/2014
Aw this was great! Once again I was laughing and crying. Keep on writing you do a great job! -Dawn
BruisedBloodyBroken chapter 1 . 5/30/2014
huh there you go :)
JossWJ chapter 6 . 5/23/2014
I don't even ship them but this was one of the best stories I have ever read, mainly because they boys actually got to have a happy ending for once